Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Less Than A Week To Fix This

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 07:48 PM
Scimber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

I have a trip to CO coming up in 6 days and my bike is broken. There is a small metal mating surface on the rear right dropout that has broken out and now the wheel skews and rubs on the frame.
I have fashioned a replacement and have tried Super Glue and a Loctite Epoxy that sets in about 6min, is ok to handle in 20 and cures fully in 24 hours. We neither will hold the piece in place. I used a chrome washer with a ton of dremel work and the frame is carbon fiber.

What type of glue/adhesive would you use?

I have been getting this bike ready for this trip for a bit. New wheel, seat, bars, stem, large chainring, chain, rear derailleur and cassette. I would hate to not be able to bring it with me. The idea of renting a bike sounds like a hassle and expensive. The bike manufacturer is sending me a new frame but it won't arrive for a few days and it will be really hard for me to get it taken apart and rebuilt, not to mention expensive, before I leave.

Help?

(It would be easier to help if I could post pics but I have to go on a posting binge to get above 10 posts apparently. )
Old 06-24-18, 07:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Take it to a shop that works with cf fiberglass?
Old 06-24-18, 09:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Having already altered the surfaces I suspect any repair is not going to be a quickie, or one that I would trust on a multy day tour without prior testing. No good info or photos prevent more speculation. Andy
Old 06-25-18, 12:49 PM
Sprout4u

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Pictures?
Old 06-25-18, 01:04 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
This may be repairable, or it may be a sign that the frame has failed and is absolutely not safe to ride.

In general terms, if you wanted to fashion a replacement for missing carbon fiber, you'd want to use another fiber and epoxy. Chromed metal doesn't take to glue. You can use carbon fiber, glass fiber or even thin cotton cloth after degreasing all surfaces and fibers. The strength of the added piece will come from its fiber density.
Old 06-25-18, 06:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
If the manufacturer is sending you a new frame (assuming warranty and free) then what you have is probably broken badly and probably dangerously.

Colorado has mountains, you don't want a frame breaking or a wheel popping loose and jamming in the frame in the mountains.

Based on current info (no picture) conservative approach is don't ride the frame.

Old 06-26-18, 04:49 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Six days is plenty of time to swap parts to a good frame. One day job.
Old 06-26-18, 08:48 AM
Scimber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics Finally

Broken

New insert
Old 06-26-18, 09:53 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Wait for the new frame, swap parts. It's less than a one day job. I'd even replace the cables too.
There is no way I'd take a bodged repair like that on a week long tour.
Old 06-26-18, 10:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Advantage: steel..
Old 06-26-18, 10:31 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Fabrication on the washer is impressive but riding it is not worth the risk.

The last ambulance ride I took cost $1119 and I only spent 36 hours in the hospital. No trip is worth even that.
Old 06-26-18, 10:46 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Scimber

Broken

New insert
Hell no, I wouldn't risk my life on that.
Old 06-26-18, 11:15 AM
Kontact 

While you certainly could fill that spot in with something that will last under compression, you haven't fixed the problem of how much weaker that area is due to losing a huge chunk of what makes the structural connection between wheel and bike. You'd have to be nuts to ride that down a mountainside.
Old 06-26-18, 12:12 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Note that the CF has not been compromised; it's still as intact as before. The part that fell off is metal insert that provides scuff protection for the CF. The repair washer replaces that function just like before. Any 2-part epoxy works for holding the pieces together. Since lateral-load is in compression from QR-skewer, it really doesn't matter what you use as long as it holds metal insert. Heck, even double-sided tape or bubble-gum will be fine.

Vertical loading from weight goes upward into structure same as before.
Old 06-26-18, 12:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Note that the CF has not been compromised; it's still as intact as before. The part that fell off is metal insert that provides scuff protection for the CF. The repair washer replaces that function just like before. Any 2-part epoxy works for holding the pieces together. Since lateral-load is in compression from QR-skewer, it really doesn't matter what you use as long as it holds metal insert. Heck, even double-sided tape or bubble-gum will be fine.

disagree...if you look at the first picture there is significant cracking in the carbon matrix at the front of the drop out. bike companies don't swap out frame for minor details. bike should not be ridden

Old 06-26-18, 12:20 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts

+1
I'd ride it. The piece that fell off was only bonded on and thus only slightly structural. The skewer will keep everything in place. Just inspect frequently.
Old 06-26-18, 02:05 PM
Kontact 

Aside from the OP thinking it was a metal insert, how do you know that it was?

And the OP has ridden this bike with other stuff substituted and the wheel came out - how do you know the wheel popping out at an angle didn't do damage to both dropouts?
Old 06-26-18, 03:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Aside from the OP thinking it was a metal insert, how do you know that it was?

And the OP has ridden this bike with other stuff substituted and the wheel came out - how do you know the wheel popping out at an angle didn't do damage to both dropouts?
Aside from the hanger, there should be some right/left symmetry, so if the left has some kind of inserts on both sides, then the right probably did too.

I'd probably use the skewer to clamp, and epoxy that washer into place, and try it out.

Probably not a life and death risk. So, if the wheel pops out, and rubs the chainstays???

The issue would be whether or not I'd be comfortable taking it on a multi-day trip. I'd probably prefer taking it a few days around the neighborhood, but part of the decision will depend on how isolated one will be, and how harmful a day or so of downtime could be.

Be aware that frame mods might affect any warranty coverage, if that is an issue.
Old 06-26-18, 03:29 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Aside from the hanger, there should be some right/left symmetry, so if the left has some kind of inserts on both sides, then the right probably did too.

I'd probably use the skewer to clamp, and epoxy that washer into place, and try it out.

Probably not a life and death risk. So, if the wheel pops out, and rubs the chainstays???

The issue would be whether or not I'd be comfortable taking it on a multi-day trip. I'd probably prefer taking it a few days around the neighborhood, but part of the decision will depend on how isolated one will be, and how harmful a day or so of downtime could be.

Be aware that frame mods might affect any warranty coverage, if that is an issue.
The OP already tried super glue and epoxy and the washer fell out.
Old 06-26-18, 03:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
As mentioned above, chrome may be a slippery surface, and perhaps stainless would have been better. Make sure the surface of both pieces is roughened slightly.

I probably wouldn't choose superglue for an app like this, and if it failed, it needs to be 100% cleaned off of both surfaces.

One issue might be load application. It shouldn't take much to hold the washer in place with a compression load from the skewer.

However, a vertical load from the axle setting on the washer may be bad (or forward from the chain tension). So, it might be beneficial to undercut the washer slightly, and perhaps also build up the dropout slightly with epoxy, or even a fiber reinforced epoxy.
Old 06-26-18, 03:48 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Obviously poor prep as it was originally epoxied on from factory. From photo of washer, it doesn't have sufficient epoxy behind it. You should see it oozing out at edges, a sign that all gaps and voids between washer and dropout has been filled.

I've done this repair on numerous frames, starting with aluminium frames back in '80s. On some frames, washer have pins that goes through dropout and are welded to washer on other side.
Old 06-26-18, 03:49 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
As mentioned above, chrome may be a slippery surface, and perhaps stainless would have been better. Make sure the surface of both pieces is roughened slightly.

I probably wouldn't choose superglue for an app like this, and if it failed, it needs to be 100% cleaned off of both surfaces.

One issue might be load application. It shouldn't take much to hold the washer in place with a compression load from the skewer.

However, a vertical load from the axle setting on the washer may be bad (or forward from the chain tension). So, it might be beneficial to undercut the washer slightly, and perhaps also build up the dropout slightly with epoxy, or even a fiber reinforced epoxy.
yep.
Old 06-26-18, 03:51 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
disagree...if you look at the first picture there is significant cracking in the carbon matrix at the front of the drop out. bike companies don't swap out frame for minor details. bike should not be ridden
Looks more like paint chip. Crack is below centreline of axle anyway. Not much force there as most load is applied directly above axle.

How many miles have all of us ridden with insufficiently tight or completely loosened QR skewers?

You don't need much below axle-centreline. That extra amount below is really to allow QR to clamp on parallel surfaces.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 06-27-18 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-26-18, 04:02 PM
Kontact 

Obviously poor prep as it was originally epoxied on from factory. From photo of washer, it doesn't have sufficient epoxy behind it. You should see it oozing out at edges, a sign that all gaps and voids between washer and dropout has been filled.

I've done this repair on numerous frames, starting with aluminium frames back in '80s. On some frames, washer have pins that goes through dropout and are welded to washer on other side.
There is all sorts of reasons that the repair didn't work, and most of them come down to what happens when you close the skewer. Epoxy does not have much compressive strength, so more of it is only going to help around the edges - anything between the locknut and skewer is just going to turn to powder if the metal isn't bedded against the underlying carbon.

And even if it is bonded properly, it needs to be entirely perpendicular to the lucknut, or the force of the skewer is going to squeeze it out sideways from the locknut pushing on one side more than the other.

I'm not surprised this didn't work - I'm surprised that the original metal part bonded to a carbon dropout lasted any time at all. If the OP insists on repairing this, make the washer out of fiberglass so it can flex with the underlying carbon in the dropout and so the resin matrix in the fiber provides a good bond to the matrix in the dropout.

But I still think having your hub pop out of dropout is more potential destruction than I'd trust on a bike that will be climbing and descending.
Old 06-26-18, 04:12 PM
Scimber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will try with more Epoxy. I am also thinking that the epoxy I got, even though new, was somehow bad as the mix I made didn't harden more than 24 hours later. It was rubbery.

I prepped the metal with a little grinding and the carbon with some acetone and some brushing. I made the spacer a bit smaller to reduce the chance it will have a vertical pressure applied to it. The frame itself looks ok - no cracking that I can see but I will reinspect.

I hear the concerns and respect them. I did some checking and can't find a bike to rent in Denver atm. Well I did but they want $700.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.