Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Something Doesn't Add Up...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 11:57 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

City halts bike lane projects after residents voice concerns - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

"The bike lanes, which run in both directions on Farrow Road from Columbia College Drive to East Campanella Drive, will be closed until further notice.

The South Carolina Department of Transportation has been asked to close bike lanes until a final decision is made regarding the project.

"
Old 07-04-18, 12:37 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
As long as the drivers of Columbia don't mind having cyclists in front of them and are able to drive safely with them, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-04-18, 12:54 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Time for critical mass ride...
Old 07-04-18, 01:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if some municipalities put bike lanes in as inconvenient a place for vehicular traffic as possible, and make the lanes as inconvenient to traffic as possible, so that the bitter taste of them sour the public's taste for any future bike lanes, even if they are smartly designed and well-placed. There are some very good bike lanes here in Colorado Springs, but some recent additions in some newer areas had to be scrapped due to public outcry, and to tell you the truth I was against them as a cyclist and a driver.

This Farrow road is tight, without shoulders. If the center turn lane was removed, I think it a bike lane could easily be done. Perhaps, by shaving a few inches off the existing lanes, and widening the pavement as much as possible, bike lanes could be added.

A google street and satellite view of Farrow road in the area where the lanes had been put in shows few good alternative routes for cyclists that don't add a lot of extra mileage.
Old 07-04-18, 01:29 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I think A LOT of people in city government, planning, civil enginneering just don't have much cycling experience. They just don't have 1st-hand experience and end up putting bike paths in as afterthough.
Old 07-05-18, 09:04 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Good comments, thank you. I'd like to apologize for the title I gave this thread, as it doesn't give any idea what the thread is about. I admit I was overwhelmed, dumbfounded by the stupidity of the story.
So cyclists must now ride in the left lane , *with* the auto and truck traffic? I wasn't sure...
smh
Old 07-05-18, 09:13 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Sometimes I wonder if some municipalities put bike lanes in as inconvenient a place for vehicular traffic as possible, and make the lanes as inconvenient to traffic as possible, so that the bitter taste of them sour the public's taste for any future bike lanes, even if they are smartly designed and well-placed.
Yep, a lot of the "road diet" projects around me involve bike lanes, and much of the angst over the bike lanes is really caused more by the "road diet" part. Bike lanes are just one of the visible features of such projects, and incur the anger.

But yes, in this case, should be interesting to see the reaction of the drivers sitting behind bikes when there is a closed off bike lane next to them.
Old 07-08-18, 06:31 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Time for critical mass ride...