Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Different Stiffness, Same Tubing... So Why?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Different Stiffness, Same Tubing... So Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 08:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
A fellow on the Internet-BOB message board uses some kind of ultrasonic device to measure the wall thickness of tubing. He created a spreadsheet with the results for all sorts of bikes. Check it out.
I suggested to Reed that he could try ultrasonics, but I didn't know how to do the measurements. The relatively cheap ultrasonic thickness measuring devices only go down to about .1mm, so not useful for most bike tubing. But he didn't give up on the idea. Now that he found a company that makes a device that will measure tubing thicknesses less than that, I understand the technique and feel a bit slow for not realizing how it could be done. I haven't done it with any of the equipment I have available to me yet. I should try it. I'm not sure how well his equipment works in all instances, but he has checked it against measuring with calipers/hole gauges and it works well in the instances where he has compared the two.

My experience building frames tells me there is a lot of variation in tubing. I used to really get annoyed with 531, for example. The OD was all over the place, sometimes too big, sometimes too small. It's not surprising to me that they would have large variations in thickness.
Old 09-17-19, 10:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
What looks wrong to you?
Top of seat tube measurements dont look correct on some. An example would be the 1.16mm top of seat tube on a black mountain cycles frame. Its a 28.6mm seat tube and uses a 27.2mm seatpost. The math doesnt work.
Old 09-17-19, 07:25 PM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Top of seat tube measurements dont look correct on some. An example would be the 1.16mm top of seat tube on a black mountain cycles frame. Its a 28.6mm seat tube and uses a 27.2mm seatpost. The math doesnt work.
The seat tubes were probably single butted with a 0.6 mm unbutted section. Pretty sure Reynolds and Columbus seat tubes were made like that. Tange we’re usually double butted, but my pro tour 15 has a 27.0 seatpost, and probably should take a 27.2 in champion no 2 tubing, which is the same 0.9-0.6-0.9 butting for double butted tubes.

i have heard of production bikes with seat tubes brazed upside down, where a British 531 db tubeset had a 26.6 seat tube or something, but they are anomalies.
Old 09-17-19, 07:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Cl904
The seat tubes were probably single butted with a 0.6 mm unbutted section. Pretty sure Reynolds and Columbus seat tubes were made like that. Tange we’re usually double butted, but my pro tour 15 has a 27.0 seatpost, and probably should take a 27.2 in champion no 2 tubing, which is the same 0.9-0.6-0.9 butting for double butted tubes.

i have heard of production bikes with seat tubes brazed upside down, where a British 531 db tubeset had a 26.6 seat tube or something, but they are anomalies.
A 1.16mm thick tube on a 28.6mm tube means a seatpost that is 26.2 or 26.4(accounting for variation).
But the seat post is actually 27.2mm.

So the measurement of tubing thickness is wrong.
...or I am misreading the data.