Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 07:25 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Are you a 12 year old? it seems you have read my post but are still trying to understand what I said. I may not be a native english speaker, but I think the meaning is quite clear.

You knowing what button does what has nothing to do with having an idea of how the system works at the electronic/software level. You simply don't know that and won't be able to unless you are a SRAM or Shimano engineer.

It's true that, theoretically, you don't need to know it to use the system. Until your system fails and is out of warranty and SRAM considers it obsolete. Meanwhile, there are lots of 30 year old derailleurs that still work.
So you know the logic code of your smartphone, PC, tablet, car ECU, cable box, smart watch, smart thermostat, washing machine.....?
Old 10-26-20, 08:22 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
So you know the logic code of your smartphone, PC, tablet, car ECU, cable box, smart watch, smart thermostat, washing machine.....?
I know (most of) the logic of a PC and Android smartphones / tablets. I don't know how the rest work. Except for my car, it's not like they can get me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately I can't do anything about my car if it breaks down. Cars can't usually be repaired at the roadside anyway unless it's something minor.

Fortunately, bikes are easily repairable and unless something really unusual happens (something cracked in a catastrophic way, tire damage beyond repair...) you can't mostly fix anything, anywhere with little equipment. Sometimes a real repair can't be done, but mostly you can do something that allows you to get to your destination or somewhere where you can properly fix the bike.

By the way, you won't see me spending lots of money on smart-whatevers that depend on remote servers to work. I don't like what happens when the company goes bankrupt, shuts down the servers and you smart-whatever suddenly becomes a very expensive paperweight. I've seen that happen too many times. There's enough trash in the world.
Old 10-26-20, 11:33 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Advantage of SRAM batteries is that if the RD one dies, you can swap it for the FD battery. Battery level and gear position are also visible on Garmin.
Old 10-26-20, 11:34 AM
Margo976

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disability issues

Originally Posted by mrblue
Earlier this year BC (Before COVID) I purchased a bike with SRAM Force eTap AXS.

So far I haven't been very impressed with electronic shifting or at least with SRAM's electronic shifting. I haven't tried EPS or Di2 so I can't really compare apples to apples. However I do have a couple of other bikes with Shimano Ultegra, 105, Campy Record 12 and Chorus 12--all mechanical. I don't think the SRAM eTap shifts any more consistently or reliably than any other groupset I have. As a matter of fact I sometimes think the mechanical groupsets might shift better. The one thing I do think is pretty cool, but not all necessary, is the wireless connectivity.

Am I missing something? What are others' thoughts on electronic shifting?
I have not used such fancy gear yet, but I am considering it. A perfect storm of age, overuse and injury and some undiagnosed joint deterioration condition has attacked my thumb joints making simple tasks quite painful. A quick gloss over comments here seems to indicate the Shimano Di12 or whatever may be the most reliable. I have a collection of physical issues, yet the thumb joints affect my rides everytime. One basel thumb joint was " replaced" and I am not pleased with the result.
Bone on bone is no joke.
Old 10-26-20, 11:49 AM
wingkeel
Ridin' The Line

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 (2008)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
At 69, energy over the long-haul is a concern. When you're hot, tired to the point of exhaustion, caked in dried sweat, and slightly dehydrated, a missed shift can be disastrous! On events such as the Copper Triangle, where the last 24-miles has an 18-mile unrelenting uphill, a missed shift can mean coming to a stop. If this happens, it is a real struggle to get going again on an 18% grade! Electronic shifting ensures there are no missed shifts. Electronic shifting also makes shifting under power much more even and less stress on the drive-train. For me, electronic shifting means the difference between a successful and fun event and one where it is one headache after another. In the six-years since going to electronic shifting, I can honestly say it is the most critical upgrade for me on longer rides of 100+ miles or 8,000+ vertical feet of climbing.
Likes For wingkeel:
Old 10-26-20, 12:30 PM
Larry Lem 1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gadgets

Next will be electronic brakes.
Old 10-26-20, 12:48 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I know (most of) the logic of a PC and Android smartphones / tablets. I don't know how the rest work. Except for my car, it's not like they can get me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately I can't do anything about my car if it breaks down. Cars can't usually be repaired at the roadside anyway unless it's something minor.

Fortunately, bikes are easily repairable and unless something really unusual happens (something cracked in a catastrophic way, tire damage beyond repair...) you can't mostly fix anything, anywhere with little equipment. Sometimes a real repair can't be done, but mostly you can do something that allows you to get to your destination or somewhere where you can properly fix the bike.

By the way, you won't see me spending lots of money on smart-whatevers that depend on remote servers to work. I don't like what happens when the company goes bankrupt, shuts down the servers and you smart-whatever suddenly becomes a very expensive paperweight. I've seen that happen too many times. There's enough trash in the world.
I have to say, this sounds absurd.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 10-26-20, 01:08 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by wingkeel
At 69, energy over the long-haul is a concern. When you're hot, tired to the point of exhaustion, caked in dried sweat, and slightly dehydrated, a missed shift can be disastrous! On events such as the Copper Triangle, where the last 24-miles has an 18-mile unrelenting uphill, a missed shift can mean coming to a stop. If this happens, it is a real struggle to get going again on an 18% grade! Electronic shifting ensures there are no missed shifts. Electronic shifting also makes shifting under power much more even and less stress on the drive-train. For me, electronic shifting means the difference between a successful and fun event and one where it is one headache after another. In the six-years since going to electronic shifting, I can honestly say it is the most critical upgrade for me on longer rides of 100+ miles or 8,000+ vertical feet of climbing.
A properly set up mechanical shifter doesn't miss shifts. I regularly climb 20% + inclines. Not once did I have to stop because of a missed shift.
Old 10-26-20, 01:09 PM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by Larry Lem 1
Next will be electronic brakes.
I see lots of people willing to try them in this thread. After all, what could go wrong?
Old 10-26-20, 01:14 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
Earlier this year BC (Before COVID) I purchased a bike with SRAM Force eTap AXS.

So far I haven't been very impressed with electronic shifting or at least with SRAM's electronic shifting. I haven't tried EPS or Di2 so I can't really compare apples to apples. However I do have a couple of other bikes with Shimano Ultegra, 105, Campy Record 12 and Chorus 12--all mechanical. I don't think the SRAM eTap shifts any more consistently or reliably than any other groupset I have. As a matter of fact I sometimes think the mechanical groupsets might shift better. The one thing I do think is pretty cool, but not all necessary, is the wireless connectivity.

Am I missing something? What are others' thoughts on electronic shifting?
I suspect that if electronic shifting wasn't reliable, pros wouldn't use it. That said and to me, I think it's just a cool toy. However, I wonder what happens if it malfunctions if one is a ways from home. Is there a manual work around. Was riding with a guy this summer who had to go home cause his battery started to fail. I was riding my touring bike with 6SP DT shifters at the time and thought that's as bad as getting a flat.
Old 10-26-20, 01:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
The problem with electronics is that it's not a skillset that you can learn. Most electronics, including Di2, run on propietary software. You don't know how it works, Shimano doesn't want you to know, and unless you reverse engineer it, you won't know. So if a firmware update makes it fail or whatever happens, you're screwed regardless of what skills you have.
Sure you can learn it. If you have the understanding that water and electricity really have similarities in behavior, then electronics is just adding more controls and regulating devices.

Being proprietary doesn't have anything to do with fixing or troubleshooting something. My cars and trucks are all proprietary with their stuff, yet if you read the service manuals and follow the steps, you can trouble shoot and determine a lot of stuff about all the electronics on a car and not even have to know anything about electronics. I used to bemoan electronics coming to cars too, but that ended when I realized I just needed to learn a few more simple concepts. There is a lot you can do even without a scan tool.

As for electronic shifting, you just have to quit looking at it as a magical something-or-other that does stuff.
Old 10-26-20, 01:28 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
I don't have electronic shifting. It sounds like it works great, and it must for it to have been a success in the market. My view from afar:

Pluses:
- Sounds like it eliminates shifting cables, the largest source of wear, maintenance, and adjustment in the system, other than the chain.
- As others have said, once set up/adjusted, it stays there.

Minuses:
- Batteries.
- Non-graceful degradation mode and lack of field repairability. (I carry one long shift cable. A spare brake cable is less necessary as I have two brakes and can make it home with one. I've made it home with a broken shift cable but it involves a lot of walking up hills.)
- Shop maintainability; Is the system modular? Can you easily and cheaply replace just electronic bits? Or is the entire assembly trash? The latter sounds expensive. Read my name.

I love new electronic cameras, no expensive film and developing, in addition to the electronic controls that drastically increase user friendliness. But in the film era, I used a "stickshift" Nikon, because it was bombproof reliable, although it did require more skill for use than one with electronics. Mine didn't even have onboard light metering.

If I was bike touring in the boonies or overseas, I would definitely still use manual cable shifting, and bring spare cables (which are light and compact in my gear kit), unless the electronic modules have spares that are cheap, easy to carry, and easy to replace in the field.

Final note: I'll bet electronic shifting can be hacked by someone nefarious like the CIA or NSA. Wiki Michael Hastings. Interference during a race? Probably possible.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 10-26-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 03:00 PM
GARY HANNAN

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broken cable

Originally Posted by Koyote
In the past year or two, I have twice had to ride home single-speed after a rear derailleur cable broke inside the shifter. A mechanical system is no guarantee of perfect reliability.
mine broke at about 3k miles
Old 10-26-20, 03:06 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I see lots of people willing to try them in this thread. After all, what could go wrong?
Does your new car have "drive by wire" meaning no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels and the accelerator cable and engine?

Last edited by GlennR; 10-26-20 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 03:24 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I've never tried e-shift, just read about it, so maybe I'm talking out of my butt, but I think the point isn't that the shifting is "better", it is just more consistent. Not only does the shift happen at the optimum point in your pedal stroke every time (I know I screw it up at least a couple of times per ride), but also the variability due to cable stretch, housing flex and friction, etc. is eliminated, at least in theory.

Plus, you don't have to replace cables and housing a couple of times per year.

There is something to be said for simplicity (and less cost!!), though, and going over your bike and giving it some TLC while changing cables/housing can't be a bad thing.

Either way, the point for many (obsessive tinkerers aside) is to be riding. Whatever gets you out there and keeps you out there with a minimum of fuss and at a price you're willing to pay is what is probably what is best for you.

(My ride: 1995 C'dale T700, bar end friction shifters.)
Old 10-26-20, 03:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts

You do realize, I hope, that even if an electronic drivetrain does stop working, the bike will still be rideable - albeit with perhaps one speed (or two speeds, if the RD is the part that fails)? This is pretty much identical to the situation I mentioned earlier - the two broken (NOT field repairable) RD cables in the past couple years.
Old 10-26-20, 03:49 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by sewupnut
I suspect that if electronic shifting wasn't reliable, pros wouldn't use it.
Pros use what they're told to use. Lately the PR was all excited about some TDF stage wins with clinchers and tubed tires on Spesh bikes.
Old 10-26-20, 04:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Final note: I'll bet electronic shifting can be hacked by someone nefarious like the CIA or NSA. Wiki Michael Hastings. Interference during a race? Probably possible.
That's always been my biggest fear. Well, that and losing my tin foil hat.
Old 10-26-20, 04:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Does your new car have "drive by wire" meaning no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels and the accelerator cable and engine?
I had an MGB with a Lucas electrical system. It was more "Fail to drive by wire".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-26-20, 04:21 PM
Amt0571

You do realize, I hope, that even if an electronic drivetrain does stop working, the bike will still be rideable - albeit with perhaps one speed (or two speeds, if the RD is the part that fails)? This is pretty much identical to the situation I mentioned earlier - the two broken (NOT field repairable) RD cables in the past couple years.
I can replace a broken cable in 5 minutes.

A bike with one speed is simply not rideable where I live.
Old 10-26-20, 04:23 PM
Koyote

I can replace a broken cable in 5 minutes.

A bike with one speed is simply not rideable where I live.
I think you just need to admit it: you can’t afford an electronic drivetrain, and you’re jealous.

I just can’t think of any other reason why someone would be so opposed to something – especially something that no one is making him purchase.

I just don’t have enough energy to so strenuously insist that other people are spending their money incorrectly.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-26-20, 04:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
The comparison to cars with multiple electronic systems versus carburetors and points/condenser distributors, etc. may be apt, but perhaps not the way that he thinks. Carbs and coil/distributor systems were very wasteful, required a lot of maintenance (remember taking your car in for a tune up every 3000 miles?) and often finicky. Modern intake and ignition systems are essentially black boxes to the general public and even the average 'shade tree mechanic' nowadays, but they're WAY more reliable.

So, many of us have had derailleur cables fail on rides and had to either ride home in the smallest cog or jury rig something, or make The Call Of Shame. What's the 'stranding rate' on Di2 or eTap? Maybe they're more reliable than mechanical?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-26-20, 04:37 PM
lesterburnham

Bikes: '18 Domane SL5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Does anyone here own a car w/ a DCT? Primarily a Porsche w/ PDK(Duraace) or VW w/ DSG(105)? A lot of valid points being discussed here - sounds similar the arguments(ahem discussions) on car boards everywhere, I myself have a DSG equipped VW. I probably will never go back to a manual, sad thing about it my kid will probably never know how to drive a stick. I have yet to experience Di2 but I know I would get it if the opportunity arose for me.
Old 10-26-20, 04:41 PM
Amt0571

I think you just need to admit it: you can’t afford an electronic drivetrain, and you’re jealous.

I just can’t think of any other reason why someone would be so opposed to something – especially something that no one is making him purchase.

I just don’t have enough energy to so strenuously insist that other people are spending their money incorrectly.
You know that because you have access to my bank account, I suppose.

That I chose to ride a 1200€ bike doesn't mean I can't buy a 10000€ one. I could buy a Di2 bike if I wanted. I could buy several of them. I just don't see the point.

It seems there are pro cyclists that still prefer mechanical groupsets. Maybe they're too poor to buy electronic too...

You can spend your money however you want. I have my opinion and you have yours. I don't care.
Old 10-26-20, 04:42 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by genejockey
The comparison to cars with multiple electronic systems versus carburetors and points/condenser distributors, etc. may be apt, but perhaps not the way that he thinks. Carbs and coil/distributor systems were very wasteful, required a lot of maintenance (remember taking your car in for a tune up every 3000 miles?) and often finicky. Modern intake and ignition systems are essentially black boxes to the general public and even the average 'shade tree mechanic' nowadays, but they're WAY more reliable.

So, many of us have had derailleur cables fail on rides and had to either ride home in the smallest cog or jury rig something, or make The Call Of Shame. What's the 'stranding rate' on Di2 or eTap? Maybe they're more reliable than mechanical?
Bingo.

I wonder if Amt0571 only talks to people on a landline, with a rotary dial phone? Because those never lost a connection, while cell phones are comparatively unreliable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.