Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Couple Jones bars questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 07:36 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts

Yesterday I picked up a barely ridden LHT for a steal. Came with new front and rear Surly racks and Ariel Ultralight panniers. The pic had drop bars but when I showed up it had Jones bars. I’ve been a lifetime drop bar user so I was a little disappointed but for the price I gladly bought the bike. When I got the bike home I stripped it down for a rebuild and put the bars up for sale. This morning I put them on the bike out of curiosity and actually like them. I’m not sure about the grip shifters though. For Jones users what shifters and grips are you using and any tips or advise to spruce the bars up for long day comfort, thanks

Old 03-12-24, 08:05 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
check out jones suggestions for angles etc, there are some youtube vids

trick is to angle them downwards slightly, I do the same with the ergron grips--you just have to experiment and make small adjustments to feel what feels better, ie spreading out pressure on hands, reducing small pressure points .

I personally use egron grips on them, just havent gotten the long foam type grips that are popular because I switch these bars between two bikes, one winter and one not winter, so I didnt want to potentially ruin the esi type foam grips changing them out, I dont have an air compressor so knew it would be dicey, especially if I used hair spray or whatever to stop them from rotating.

I havent toured on them yet, used them for commuting and fatbiking for a few years, so never on the bikes all day--that said, the various hand positions do work, just bartape the areas up, again lots of youtube vids etc and Jones suggestions for you to find

if yours dont have "Jones" logo on the front, they might be knockoffs.
at least yours are the riser versions, more versatile for bikes with a lower front end, attractive if you decide to sell them

oh--trigger shifters are my preference, but thats up to you. I don't like grip shifters.
Old 03-12-24, 08:24 AM
sloar 

These have the Jones logo.
Old 03-12-24, 08:46 AM
djb

thats good.
I really would recommend living with them for a while, and keeping an allen key with you to make fast adjustments while riding, to really get an immediate feel for changes in hand comfort while riding.
I use old bar tape from dropbars to wrap the junction area, a really good hand position, and forward position.
the other day I saw a really good wrapping youtube vid, if I can find it I'll link it
I guess you need to decide if you like them before buying new trigger shifters. Deore level stuff is always good value, and microshift triggers are not expensive either, but maybe you have preferences for what you like.
I assume bike is 9 or maybe 10 spd
Old 03-12-24, 08:52 AM
sloar 

9 speed correct, I’m going to run some cables with the grip shifters and ride them for awhile. I need to take it out on an all day ride to get an actual feel.
Old 03-12-24, 09:40 AM
djb

Originally Posted by sloar
9 speed correct, I’m going to run some cables with the grip shifters and ride them for awhile. I need to take it out on an all day ride to get an actual feel.
oh, nearly forgot, you really need to run long housings with these. You need to really turn the bars to the max to get an idea of how much length you need to avoid binding.
Dont assume the present ones are the right length, I didnt really look at that in the photos, but keep this in mind.
I had to put in some longer housings after I put them on my commuter the first time. the binding was just abit too much
Old 03-12-24, 11:58 AM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
On a drop bar bike I spend 99% of the time on the hoods or flats, almost never in the drops, so I opted for a Jones bar on my touring bike. The swept back angle works a lot better than an MTB flat bar and with bar tape on the "loop" portion of the bar it gives me more hand positions. I use Ergon cork comfort grips outboard of the shifters and brake levers. As mentioned by someone else the bars should be angled down a bit for a more comfortable position.
Old 03-13-24, 10:38 AM
sloar 

Jones bars for the win! I’ve always been curious about alternative bars but I’ve never wanted to spend the money. This time I had a chance to try and today’s ride won me over. Started out just a quick test ride for adjustments. Turned into a 40 mile ride, wanted to go further but lacked the water. First ride in awhile where there was zero soreness or numbness. I want to switch shifter and I’m leaning towards friction thumb shifters.
Old 03-13-24, 11:05 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Jones bars for the win! I’ve always been curious about alternative bars but I’ve never wanted to spend the money. This time I had a chance to try and today’s ride won me over. Started out just a quick test ride for adjustments. Turned into a 40 mile ride, wanted to go further but lacked the water. First ride in awhile where there was zero soreness or numbness. I want to switch shifter and I’m leaning towards friction thumb shifters.
Glad you find them to your liking. I would probably go with thumbies as well. They work nicely, and are simple. I have never been a fan of twist grip shifters.
Old 03-13-24, 06:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Jones bars had way too much sweep for me. I don't mind a broom but I don't need the whole factory. Surly Moloko, Koga Denham and Velo Orange Crazy bars with their 34˚ sweep is perfection with Ergon GC1 grips. Super comfortable for me couldn't recommend those enough.
Old 03-13-24, 07:26 PM
djb

glad they are working for your hands even after one ride, and a 60k ride is a pretty good test ride.
I havent used rear friction for over 40 years, but if thats your thing, go for it.
The great thing is that you can find good trigger shifters at very reasonable prices, so you will always have the option to change things, or go to 10 speed, or whatever.
Have fun with these bars, they are just bars and you will always be able to sell them if you change your mind. I kept mine for years after taking them off a bike I bought used, and ended up selling them and buying a set of the riser ones like you have. They are fun to ride thats for sure.
Cant wait to get them back onto my non winter commuter.
Old 03-14-24, 06:32 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Pretty sure Microshift makes 9 speed that both friction and index. That would be my choice. My wife uses a set in friction mode on her 9 speed bike. There is a road and mountain version. I think they have different ratios in index mode.
Old 03-14-24, 09:07 AM
djb

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Pretty sure Microshift makes 9 speed that both friction and index. That would be my choice. My wife uses a set in friction mode on her 9 speed bike. There is a road and mountain version. I think they have different ratios in index mode.
Sloar needs to read up on the lovely details and specifics of rear derailleurs and shifters. This bike being old school 9 spd, ie before dynasys , a regular 9 spd shifter will work. Mtb dynsys or however you spell it brought in a slightly diff ratio. My wife has a 10 spd bike with that generation of mtb rd. The bike came with Microshift thumbies, set up for that rd, dynawhatever, and when I changed the bike to trigger shifters, I just got comparable Deore 10 spd triggers made for that generation of deore mtb rd components.

Sloar, happy researching and asking at your local bike shop.
btw my Surly Troll has old school 9 spd also, and each time I think of changing it to 10 spd, I never get around to sorting out the details, ie do I need to change the 9 spd XTR rd to a dynasys equivalent if I use the 10 spd Microshift takeoff bits from my wifes bike on my Gevenalle shifters?
I think yes, but just never get around to doing it, so its a moot pt, the bike is still 9 spd and it works.
Old 03-14-24, 09:32 AM
sloar 

No need to read anything. I like friction shifters, almost all my bikes are vintage and have friction downtube or Suntour barcons.
Old 03-14-24, 11:28 AM
djb

No need to read anything. I like friction shifters, almost all my bikes are vintage and have friction downtube or Suntour barcons.
that certainly simplifies things then, no compatibility issues.
There are some new friction shifters, possibly only for barends, that are designed with more lever travel and work with 11 speed.
Not what I'm into, but pretty neat that this exists.
Check out pathlesspedaled, the guy mentions these a few times in some of his videos, can't recall the company name or details.
Old 03-14-24, 12:09 PM
sloar 

Originally Posted by djb
that certainly simplifies things then, no compatibility issues.
There are some new friction shifters, possibly only for barends, that are designed with more lever travel and work with 11 speed.
Not what I'm into, but pretty neat that this exists.
Check out pathlesspedaled, the guy mentions these a few times in some of his videos, can't recall the company name or details.

I take all that back! Just got back from my local bike shop and he gave me a deal on some trigger shifters. I’ll let you know how it comes out.
Old 03-14-24, 01:34 PM
sloar 

Done for now, the SLX shifters work great. Took a little adjusting to get the left one just right. I thought about putting a friction thumby on that side.

Old 03-14-24, 05:12 PM
djb

I put my shifters and levers right up to the corner part, like Jones himself suggests. Even with my ergon grips, I find I can shift and brake fine enough.
Think about a shorter stem if you'd want to move the closest position back a bit.

nice tape job btw

This is one of his vids giving his opinion on layout
Old 03-14-24, 05:17 PM
sloar 

I think the stem length is perfect. Right now I’m pretty happy with everything. The fit is spot on, but time will tell with the shifters and grips. I still might go friction later.
Old 03-14-24, 06:16 PM
djb

I think the stem length is perfect. Right now I’m pretty happy with everything. The fit is spot on, but time will tell with the shifters and grips. I still might go friction later.
sure. I too really like front friction shifting a lot, its so nice to use, quiet, precise, an enjoyable tactile side to it.
happy riding
Old 03-14-24, 09:49 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
In case you need even more potential hand positions and places to attach your electronics:

Old 03-15-24, 05:12 AM
djb

not to mention being able to easily listen to Radio Free Europe easily on your transister radio while riding.
I'd use this alone just for that.