Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Retro mountain bike stem compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 02:28 PM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi folks

Apologies in advance if this is considered a stupid question. I've searched the forums and the big G and I can't find a definitive answer.

I have a 1991/2? Marin Palisades Trail which I'm converting to drop bars as an experiment. The stem takes 25.4mm bars, and the drop bars I have are 25.4mm. However, the clamp area is so wide that I can't get the bars in at the bends. Even though the stem is steel, I don't want to force it to open up and end up damaging it. Now I know the answer is probably no, but am I missing something? I saw a video recently on YT where a guy converted his retro mtb to drop bars using the original stem (although the clamp area did look narrower). Maybe my stem clamp is just too wide?

I tried using a stem from an old road bike, but discovered that the stem diameters are different...

Anyone managed this using the original mtb stem? It would be great to use it as it also saves getting hold of a cable stop for the caliper brakes.

Last edited by tonyfourdogs; 06-29-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 05:35 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The stem is steel ???? Please check with a magnet. I strongly suspect that it is aluminum. Aluminum does not like to be over bent and bent back.
Old 06-29-18, 08:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Yes, stem/bar clamp widths is a spec that counts if you want to keep the bars un scathed. Andy
Old 06-30-18, 01:43 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
The stem is steel ???? Please check with a magnet. I strongly suspect that it is aluminum. Aluminum does not like to be over bent and bent back.
I will check that. Although I'm pretty sure I cleaned rust off the stem when I was restoring the bike, but I agree stems have been alu/alloy mostly in my experience too. Thanks
Old 06-30-18, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
fork steerers come in 7/8" 22.2mm they call it a 1" because they are talking about the outside diameter
of the fork

next came a fork with a 1" inside, and a 1 1/8" outside.. some were threaded , now a lot are threadless.

you can get conversion plugs to use in a threaded fork, and then put a threadless stem on that.
Old 06-30-18, 01:50 PM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
fork steerers come in 7/8" 22.2mm they call it a 1" because they are talking about the outside diameter
of the fork

next came a fork with a 1" inside, and a 1 1/8" outside.. some were threaded , now a lot are threadless.

you can get conversion plugs to use in a threaded fork, and then put a threadless stem on that.
I bought a conversion stem thingy from ebay just before I found this reply. (Thanks btw.) I'm hoping it fits one of the modern stems I have lying around. Also should probably get some calipers for future projects.
Old 06-30-18, 04:15 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyfourdogs
I bought a conversion stem thingy from ebay just before I found this reply. (Thanks btw.) I'm hoping it fits one of the modern stems I have lying around. Also should probably get some calipers for future projects.
It's a 1-1/8 inch quill. The standard of old MTBs. A variety can be found on the bay. Nitto even makes one that would work.
Old 06-30-18, 04:23 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
If the cycling gods had wanted you to fit drop bars to an old mtn bike, you wouldn't be having these problems. Take it as a sign to move on to another project, rather than attempt to defy the gods.
Have you even read this thread?
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html
Old 06-30-18, 04:30 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Probably not recommended but I have done this on my own bike, grind the stem at the bottom near the pinch bolt so the clamp part does not have parallel ends but is sort of V-shaped. May take more of an angle than the stem shown, so grind a little and test fit, repeat as necessary.
Old 06-30-18, 05:34 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah that works. Road stems typically have that V for dealing with bends in road-bars. Also helps if you rotate bar so that narrow part of V is on inside-radius of bar.

Another tip: remove clamp-bolt and insert penny into slot. Install bolt from back side (threaded side), and turn it to press against penny and it'll spread clamp to make getting bars through easier.

Steel's much more forgiving of abuse than aluminium so not too much to worry about. It has much, much higher strength per unit-volume than aluminium (that's why less is used), and also has fatigue-limit which aluminium doesn't. If you keep stresses below certain level, steel will never fail. Aluminium doesn't have fatigue-limit, so any and all stresses will accumulate and part will eventually fail.
Old 07-08-18, 11:22 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So, I finally did it!

I knew the stem was steel, but since there were a few doubters, I decided to buy a quill stem adapter for a modern stem (which I already had).

Fast forward to the stem arriving, and I couldn't use it because the clamp size was too big (I hadn't even considered that). So I rummaged in my bag of parts and found a similar mtb stem, and the bars went of first try - no prising open required. And it was a *very* similar stem to the original marin one.

So I installed the stem/ bars and had to use one of those cable stops that bolts into the top of the forks. However, it wasn't high enough, and I couldn't wire the brakes so they'd actually stop the wheel.

In desperation, I went a got my magnet, confirmed my existing stem (with cable stop brazed on) was steel, prised it open just a little, installed the bars, and now the project's complete!

If only I'd tried to work with what I already had in the first place I'd have saved so much time!

Thanks to everyone who replied. Drop bar retro mtb projects highly recommended. It's loads of fun to ride