Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recovery from bonking

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recovery from bonking

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 01:23 AM
Ad123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recovery from bonking

Hi, I’m new to this forum, sorry if I’ve posted this on the wrong section, I wanted to ask how long does it take to recover from bonking after given a IV Glucose drip?

Thanks for your time
Old 07-04-18, 02:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Were you given an IV Glucose drip to help you recover from bonking? That is one serious bonk! Did you pass out and they had to take you to the hospital?

I usually just let it get to the "feeling irritable" stage before I eat, and then I feel better within about 15-30 min. A few times I've gotten to the "lying in the ditch and feeling really sick" stage ... that takes several hours to a day or so to recover from, and is a very slow recovery process.
Old 07-04-18, 01:17 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Bonking generally leaves a person feeling a bit meh until getting sleep, but in my experience , initial recovery to get out of the agony and delirium is typically complete within about 45 minutes of eating.

I've never witnessed a case where the person needed to have glucose shot straight into the veins, though. That sounds pretty nuts.
Old 07-04-18, 01:34 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Personally never had serious bonk requring IV drip. Have needed 6--12 hrs to rep!enish glycogen stores. However, if i had been pushing it hard on that ride, may require +24-hrs for muscles and cardiovascular system to recover
Old 07-04-18, 01:38 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
That doesn’t sound like bonking. That sounds like a separate medical condition.
Bonking is a whole other thing though that is usually more mental than physical imo.
The same people that can’t seem to pedal to the end of their own block without a Camelbak, PM, and jersey full of gels seem to be the ones that ‘bonk’ most often.
Go figure lol
Old 07-04-18, 01:44 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
It just sounds like the typical medical response to a patient presenting with a hypoglycemic episode. Either you may have a form of diabetes or eating habits that predisposes to hypoglycemia.
Wait a few days and make sure you are eating correctly. If the condition persists see a doctor, or perhaps do so anyway to discover the reason behind it if you don't already know.
Old 07-04-18, 09:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There's plenty of information from medical and science journals online to answer questions about how and why glucose, dextrose, Ringer's, etc., are used in emergency and pre-/post-op supportive environments. Those would be your best sources for info about IV and oral usage (via nasogastric tube).

Regarding bonks, from an athlete's perspective it can be more serious than just feeling a bit peckish or hangry, or running out of gas. There can be serious loss of physical and mental capability, ranging from muscular coordination problems with uncontrollable shaking and weakness, to confusion and delirium. Depends on whether the individual already had blood sugar problems (diabetes or clinically diagnosed hypoglycemia), or a diet insufficient to support the exertion, or complications due to medications and other physical issues.

Feeling energy-depleted and weakened without serious physical or mental complications, something as simple as one or two bananas and water or electrolytes can significantly improve symptoms in 15 minutes.

Research indicates bonks can be avoided with intake of sugars and carbs with water commensurate to exertion. That's why gels are so popular now.
Old 07-05-18, 12:51 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
In the days when I smoked I'd lie, relax, have a ciggie and just enjoy the afterglow before I got ready to do it again ...... Seems Bonking has a very different meaning in the UK
Old 07-05-18, 05:41 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by Ad123
Hi, I’m new to this forum, sorry if I’ve posted this on the wrong section, I wanted to ask how long does it take to recover from bonking after given a IV Glucose drip?

Thanks for your time
If you're well enough to post then you're well enough to pedal! Strap that IV to your helmet and get going!
Old 07-05-18, 06:14 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Um. Medical intervention sounds like it was more serious than your garden variety bonk, and/or there are underlying health issues. In either case, I would suggest talking to a doctor, rather than getting advice from random people on the internet (no matter how well intentioned).
Old 07-05-18, 07:32 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I can't help but think the OP was speaking figuratively, as when I tell my co-workers "I didn't sleep well, I need IV caffeine!" Either that, or most likely he was just trying to see what kind of responses he would get...
Old 07-05-18, 07:37 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have hypoglycemia. I’ve never had a serious event while riding but I’ve had some pretty severe hypos in general to the point of blacking out. If you needed a glocuse IV that sounds pretty damn serious.

Recovery time is pretty quick, I definitely take it easy the next day if I’ve had a hypo to the point of fainting. Honestly it’s not the recovery you should be worried about, its preventing it from happening again. First thing is to get cleared with your doctor if you haven’t already done so.

You need to look into a diabetic or hypoglycemia diet and make sure you are properly fueled before your ride. Even though I’ve never had an incident while riding, I keep glucose tabs in my bag. If you’re riding with a partner make sure they know where your tabs are and what to do. if you start feeling shaky, stop riding and test your blood sugar or take a breather until you know if you’re in hypo or not. If you have had blood sugar issues, your body gets used to it and sometimes you get desensitized to what it feels like. You don’t want to load up on glucose if you don’t need it because it can cause a reactive swing and end up crashing you later.

For those of you who have never had a severe hypoglycemic incident, consider yourself lucky. It feels almost exactly like being drunk except you can go from light headed and buzzy to stumbling and sluring your words, to blacked out in a matter of minutes. It’s no fun at all.
Old 07-05-18, 07:41 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
In the days when I smoked I'd lie, relax, have a ciggie and just enjoy the afterglow before I got ready to do it again ...... Seems Bonking has a very different meaning in the UK
We're talking about bonking, not boinking.
Old 07-05-18, 07:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Recovery can be slow or fast. Depends on individual and a lot of information that neither us or you know.

You have to stay ahead of your energy depletion by consuming Calories as you ride if you ride at a level that is very high aerobic and into the anaerobic levels of exercise. I make sure I get some Calories every 10 minutes.
Old 07-05-18, 08:31 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
We're talking about bonking, not boinking.
As per these 2 with no i before the k

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/bonking

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...y/english/bonk
Old 07-05-18, 04:04 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooke1687
I have hypoglycemia. I’ve never had a serious event while riding but I’ve had some pretty severe hypos in general to the point of blacking out. If you needed a glocuse IV that sounds pretty damn serious.

Recovery time is pretty quick, I definitely take it easy the next day if I’ve had a hypo to the point of fainting. Honestly it’s not the recovery you should be worried about, its preventing it from happening again. First thing is to get cleared with your doctor if you haven’t already done so.

You need to look into a diabetic or hypoglycemia diet and make sure you are properly fueled before your ride. Even though I’ve never had an incident while riding, I keep glucose tabs in my bag. If you’re riding with a partner make sure they know where your tabs are and what to do. if you start feeling shaky, stop riding and test your blood sugar or take a breather until you know if you’re in hypo or not. If you have had blood sugar issues, your body gets used to it and sometimes you get desensitized to what it feels like. You don’t want to load up on glucose if you don’t need it because it can cause a reactive swing and end up crashing you later.

For those of you who have never had a severe hypoglycemic incident, consider yourself lucky. It feels almost exactly like being drunk except you can go from light headed and buzzy to stumbling and sluring your words, to blacked out in a matter of minutes. It’s no fun at all.
I've had reactive hypoglycemia for years, and usually bounce back to 75% or so capacity fairly quickly after eating something sweet followed by some fiber. The rest comes back with time depending on exertion etc.... have you talked with someone with traning in nutrition about what happened to you?
Old 07-05-18, 04:57 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
While touring i will sometimes get a shakey and sort of electric feeling in my limbs. I stop and eat sardines and crackers. Give myself a few minutes with plenty of hydration and all is well. I thought I was bonking but maybe not? Anyway, I try to maintain plenty of protein intake while touring.