Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice/opinions. Replacing my fork.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 01:39 PM
ac29593

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Hi,

My road bike is a 2005 Felt F55 with an aluminum frame and carbon/aluminum fork.

I have not been on the bike since last fall since I do not ride in the winter, but at the end of last season I noticed the steer tube was bent a bit at the top from over tightening the bolts on my stem.

I asked a few people if it needed to be replaced, even posted a thread on this forum, and the general opinion was yes. It was something I decided to wait on during the “off season”, and am now in the process of weighing my options for replacement.

So far I came up with a few options, and here are my thoughts:

1. Replace fork with Felt fork, lowest model is full carbon and retails for $300. I heard that there were recalls on the newer Felt forks…

2. Replace fork with aftermarket fork. Looking for advice as to what brand/models to consider at this price range or lower.

3. Keeping in mind I do not race (love to ride fast and set goals), I considered looking for a vintage type frame and putting my components on it. I saw an older Look TVT carbon frame in my size that someone was selling, a bit more, but in the ballpark for price.

I appreciate any opinions or advice.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-11, 01:58 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
You want the new fork to have the same rake, and the axle to crown height. Otherwise you'll change the handling of the bike. (of course you could alter the rake if you purposefully wanted to change the bike's handling)

So going with the exact same fork is an easy option. Otherwise any fork from a respected manufacuter with the same dimensions should be fine.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-28-11, 02:28 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I bought a frame that doesn't come with a fork. I got the 3T fork (after recommendations from BF) and am very happy with it thus far. I've used it on fast descents (50+ mph, not necessarily smooth), switchback descents (20-30 min of switchbacks), hard turns, and regular riding. I find that on most normal riding I won't get to a point where I think the fork is affecting the bike's stability etc. It's only super hard turns (switchbacks at speed), fast descents (over 45 mph), and out of saddle efforts that start to separate good from bad.

For poor riding forks I'd nominate the only ones I've had experience with, the original TCR forks (yellow ONCE bikes for example).

I've used Reynolds forks to good effect - I didn't get one simply because I didn't have the option of ordering something from them.
Old 02-28-11, 02:38 PM
ac29593

Thanks. I do not especially like the handling of my bike on fast decents and in wind, but that could be more of an issue of my experience and not the quality of the fork. I would not be adverse to a fork with a slightly different geometry, but I can get the specs of my fork and will start with finding something that matches.
Old 02-28-11, 03:34 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I never realized just how bad a fork could get until I got my original TCR with the aero fork (and 1" steerer). You could see the fork flex visibly fore/aft just by putting on the brake and gently rocking the bike forward and backward. I found that the bike was relatively okay under 35 mph and when seated. But on big descents (45+ mph) or really hard turns, it was terrible.

I replaced the fork with a Reynolds Ouzo and the bike instantly became better.

The next generation of TCR fork (on the "Advanced") was much better. I still found it a bit off at 45-50 mph on descents and when at the limit in turns.

The Cannondale tapered (1 1/8" -1 1/2") Slice fork on the SystemSix worked great. I could enter hard curves, ones that have a definitive braking zone and then a turning zone (else you'd skitter off the road) a good 5-8 mph faster than before. I wanted to replicate that feeling of confidence and the 3T has done it (on a 1 1/8 straight steerer).

In the old days a fork was a fork. Only stupid light steel forks had lots of flex. Aluminum bladed forks were plenty stiff too, for the most part - the fastest bike I ever had had a factory alum fork on it (Specialized S-Works M2 frameset) - I was good well into the 60s (mph) on that. I'm now a bit more fearful on descents so don't go sprinting down hills before doing crazy tucks.

With carbon forks varying so much, it's important to get a fork that's rigid enough to be predictable when under load.
Old 02-28-11, 09:03 PM
ac29593

Interesting you mentioned the Cannondale fork. There is a 2006 Six13 frame with fork for sale in my area for around the same price I would be paying for a new fork. The frame might be an upgrade from my Felt as well, since I have heard nothing but great things about the Cannondale frames. It is another option I can now consider.