Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any tariff buying wheelset from UK?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 10:24 PM
rlim

Bikes: Vintage Guerciotti Strada SL, Guerciotti Ares, and Motobecane Cafe Century Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m looking to buy a Campagnolo Bora one wheelset from Ribbles in UK and was wondering if anyone have made a similar purchase of this value …. about $1500/$1600 US? I’m wondering if there will be duties/custom fees to be paid on the wheels when it enters the US? If so, how many percent?

Thanks
Old 01-01-13, 10:32 PM
Crappymonkey
Guitar Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to the final cost .com you could end up paying $1728.60 (on a $1500 wheelset) if you get caught by customs. However, being stopped by customs is fairly random.
Old 01-01-13, 11:21 PM
rlim

Bikes: Vintage Guerciotti Strada SL, Guerciotti Ares, and Motobecane Cafe Century Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking to have the wheels shipped to my US address. I wondering if I have to pay for duties/taxes upon its arrival into the US?
Old 01-01-13, 11:42 PM
thill454

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rlim
I'm looking to have the wheels shipped to my US address. I wondering if I have to pay for duties/taxes upon its arrival into the US?
I've ordered from the UK over a dozen times, I'm in the US. I've only had to pay import fee and tax on one. It really is random, you won't know untill it gets here. The one I had to pay on was $5.50 customs fee + $5.50 US postal fee and about a 6 percent tax.
Old 01-02-13, 11:20 AM
Jaymadd

Bikes: 2011 Boardman Team Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got hit with one from my purchase which was about $1800. I think it was about 10%. I thought it had to do with the value of the item if a duty tax was due but I could be wrong.
Old 01-02-13, 05:43 PM
vettracer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Customs Duties are based on International Tariff Schedules. According to the 2012 Harmonized Tariff Schedule for US Customs, Bicycle wheels fall under Parts and Accessories of bicycles.

They should be classified as HTS# 8714.94.90 00 and the duty is 10%

Reality all depends on how the shipper completes the customs paperwork. If they declare them as bike parts and no one looks, there will likely be no duty.
Old 01-02-13, 07:39 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I got hit once too. And wouldn't you know it, they snagged me on a dura ace crank set, not on any of the ten previous orders which were all under a hundred bucks.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-02-13, 10:02 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I got hit once too. And wouldn't you know it, they snagged me on a dura ace crank set, not on any of the ten previous orders which were all under a hundred bucks.
Cotterless cranksets are exempt, you got ripped.
Old 01-07-13, 09:16 AM
rlim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not been too fortunate with my purchases being shipped to Canada as I have been hit with taxes for values above $50. I started having my purchases shipped to the US and have avoided the taxes. The last was around $200. This wheelset has a significant value and I'm hoping to avoid having to pay any taxes ... but based on Vettracer, it seems it will be hard to avoid it at 10% tariff. It will be a double whammy for me having to bring it across the border. Will there be any state tax in addition to the duty?
Old 01-07-13, 09:40 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Order over $2k in parts and accessories from UK last year, including a frame and wheelset, and have yet to get hit with any duties. YMMV.

Last edited by cale; 01-07-13 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 09:44 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
fiscal deficit explained.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-07-13, 12:04 PM
slims_s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate you
(I know this is not relevant to you US residents but it helps to give you some perspective )
The official tax for everything over usd25 you get sent into my g****mn south american country is 50%.
This is if the customs guys decide to held your package and hold it. I've received usd100 items at my doorstep and had to pay 50% on some usd40 item. Apparently there's some law that excludes some things but truly it's random. In top of that we have an import lock-out so the LBSs are kinda empty and the prices are just crazy, so i just order everything online and wait 10-20 days for it
Old 01-08-13, 10:40 AM
rlim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow !!! Ribbles are fast!!! The wheels arrived yesterday ... less than a week since I placed the order. I placed the order on Jan 2nd. I contacted the fulfillment house this morning who received the packaged and they stated that there isn't any tariff on the wheels ...... . I emailed Ribbles asking the method of shipment and they stated the wheels were shipped by Parcel Force.

Now, I'll have to schedule a trip to the fulfillment house in Niagara Falls to pick up my wheels and other purchases within the next couple of weeks ..

Maybe ... I'll see if there are other deals on carbon wheels I can purchase for my Hybrid ... been eyeing a set of Reynolds Attack on Chainlove...... hmmmm ..
Old 01-08-13, 10:47 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Can you tell us how the product description was worded on the customs declaration? It obviously does not raise curiosity of customs.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-08-13, 12:47 PM
rlim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
Can you tell us how the product description was worded on the customs declaration? It obviously does not raise curiosity of customs.
Indeed I will, as soon as I pick up the wheels..
Old 01-08-13, 03:27 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
Cotterless cranksets are exempt, you got ripped.
Not saying I didn't, but that doesn't mean that the next guy won't also get ripped.
And good luck enforcing your rights after the U.S. Postal Service imposes its unlawful tariff.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-08-13, 06:16 PM
MegaTom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not saying I didn't, but that doesn't mean that the next guy won't also get ripped.
And good luck enforcing your rights after the U.S. Postal Service imposes its unlawful tariff.
This is also very true... though the USPS doesn't impose the tariffs, they just collect them and pass them on.
Old 01-09-13, 08:08 PM
willawingwong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How are tariff's collected? Does the post office hold your package until you come and pay them?
Old 01-09-13, 09:29 PM
MegaTom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willawingwong
How are tariff's collected? Does the post office hold your package until you come and pay them?
Yup.
Old 01-09-13, 09:43 PM
vettracer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They are lawful and based on international trade agreements. If the tariff is imposed incorrectly, there is a dispute process to correct it.
Old 01-09-13, 10:16 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
good luck arguing with a government agency to make them admit a mistake.

Old 02-25-13, 02:34 PM
rlim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up my wheels and discovered a collection form attached to the box requesting collection of duties by the postmaster before releasing the product to the consumer. Apparently it was missed by the USPS Postmaster.

In reviewing the form, the postmaster is to collect the fee and submit the CBP Form 3419ALT to CBP Collection and Refund Analysis Branch in Indianapolis at the end of the month. The duties and the other associated postal and processing fees aren't significant for the price of the wheels and I would like to pay for them... 6% duties. I certainly do not want to be messing around with the Customs and Border agencies. However, I'm assuming they would accept payment directly from the consumer instead of USPS if I mail it to that address. Anyway, to play it safe, I Googled the CBP Collection Agency and left a voice message with one of the agent to get back to me on where I can submit payment ..