Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is with riding on the sidewalk

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 06:01 PM
pueblonative

Bikes: Roadmaster 26 Men's Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to amend my vote on the bicycle in the road vs. bicycle on the sidewalk. I originally said that it was 50-50. Now, I have to pretty much put it as 95-5 in favor of riding on the cycle. I can say that I am the only person that I see riding regularly in the road. Adults, teens, it doesn't matter. They're usually on the sidewalk.

My question is why? Is it just that these people we're taught that somehow? Is it laziness, fear?
Old 09-19-08, 06:09 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe they don't see any more of a need to ride on the road than you see to ride on the sidewalk.

I ride where I get the best combination of speed and safety. Sometimes that's the bike path. Sometimes that's the sidewalk. Sometimes that's the road.

On the way to class, I use all three at different parts of my route. I pass some cyclists on the path. I pass some cyclists on the walk. I pass some cyclists on the road. It's no big deal.
Old 09-19-08, 06:15 PM
Lizzylou
Dropped myself

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only people I ever see on the road are cyclists in full roadie lycra. If you aren't wearing lycra around here, chances are you are on the sidewalk (without a helmet). I passed about 6 other folks on bicycles today. 1 was a roadie, the other 5 were teenagers on BMXs on the sidewalk. What makes me nervous about them, is they have a nasty habit of randomly leaving the sidewalk and crossing the street. You neverknow where they are going to go. A bike on the sidewalk is unpredictable.

I believe that the sidewalk is acceptable for younger children but teenagers and adults should be using the street. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

I will only use them when I get to where I want to go, and I'll ride up onto the sidewalk before I dismount. So I generally ride about 10 feet of sidewalk every day.
Old 09-19-08, 06:32 PM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sidewalk riding is pretty common where I live. Honestly, I don't think that everyone knows that they have the option of the road. I also think a lot of folks feel safer on the sidewalk, as opposed to being "out in traffic." I have been in both categories (ignorant and fearful) at different points in time.

Now my category is to take the route that is safest for me. Sometimes, it includes some sidewalk riding when the road is absolutely hellish and I know that drivers totally don't expect me to be on it. Usually, the street is better. It's smoother, faster, unobstructed by peds, and makes me more visible to cars.

What occurs to me is the fact that most people will never take a bicycle education class, so they will never know what they are supposed to be doing. Is any cycling information included in driver's education? (I don't know, since I missed driver's ed, too. )

Last edited by recumelectric; 09-20-08 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-19-08, 06:38 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I stay off the sidewalks but today I did ride up a side walk for about 20 metres because the road was blocked by construction. There was no one on the side walk, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.

On one of my routes home is a section of street that is waaaaay too busy to ride through so I have ridden on the sidewalk to get to the next street. It's quite wide and I am very careful but I can never tell when a pedestrian may suddenly stop or swerve into my path. I don't feel comfortable doing it but I also hate the momentum lost getting off my bike and walking with it over the next street.

Most people ride on the street. I do see children riding on the sidewalk (perfectly fine of course), and sometimes I see adults. There is always the chance that the person is new to commuting and feels uncomfortable with the traffic, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. When I started commuting by bike I walked a far bit of my route at first. I never feel comfortable on the sidewalk -- too narrow, pedal really slowly, drive ways -- and riding on the street is much faster.
Old 09-19-08, 06:46 PM
Wildcatnj

Bikes: Novara SkyCap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is that people do not know where they should ride and they feel safer on the sidewalk. On my commute there are not a lot of sidewalks, but if there were I would not normally take them. Today, after commuting for 18 days, I noticed that one section of my route has a sidewalk that I never saw before. I only take the sidewalk at one section and that is going over a bridge. I have gone over the bridge a few times, but do not really feel safe doing it. I feel the bridge gets narrower at one end. At this bridge I would say I see half and half, some on the bridge and others on the path.
Old 09-19-08, 07:42 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some times it is about self preservation. I'm mostly in the street but I have a couple long steep hills with blind curves that people run 50+mph on and I will ride the sidewalk at times. I have been clipped by a mirror on that curve. Last post on this page is a good example why. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=453872&page=2 Original comment on first page has a picture at the worst spot.

I actually have figured out the traffic pattern and now can time hitting that curve between major groupings of cars if I really pump up the hill and get past where the visibility is bad but I am tore up to to the point where I have to rest for a minute in a turn lane and catch my breath. Some mornings I just don't have it in me and I take the hill at 8mph on the sidewalk (i'm 42 with heart issues that include 3 stints).

I feel there is some places that warrant riding sidewalks due to the danger. Where I live the joke is the "roads were built on cow paths" and that holds a LOT more truth then people really realize. If I lived somewhere flat and grid layout I would probably never be on the sidewalk. That said there is very few other riders I see in the street and a few of them I am just fine with them being on the side walk. I have one older gentleman that I see regularly that is rarely going more then 5 mph.
Old 09-19-08, 08:06 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I got my shoulder clipped by a side mirror on a segment of busy road one time. The road in that area has a kink that seems to cause brain dead drivers to try to hug the curb. Once was enough. Where I see stuff like that I take to the sidewalk and ride at a jogging pace or slower when pedestrians are there. I'm here for my health and not to die because some driver won't give me my small bit of space I need.

On other roads I don't mind riding the shoulder and do it often. But where I see that there's an opportunity for drivers to misread and act like idiots I have no qualms with taking to the sidewalk for a block or so until I can get back to my quieter side streets.
Old 09-19-08, 08:14 PM
norsehabanero
Just a student

Bikes: Cannondale, schiwin old road bike fuji a unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about both here
Old 09-19-08, 08:28 PM
kajero

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A car driver yelled at me the other day: "GET on the sidewalk". With that kind of idiot driving around, maybe it might be a good idea to take the sidewalk.
Old 09-19-08, 08:48 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pueblonative
I want to amend my vote on the bicycle in the road vs. bicycle on the sidewalk. I originally said that it was 50-50. Now, I have to pretty much put it as 95-5 in favor of riding on the cycle. I can say that I am the only person that I see riding regularly in the road. Adults, teens, it doesn't matter. They're usually on the sidewalk.

My question is why? Is it just that these people we're taught that somehow? Is it laziness, fear?
Fear isn't rational, neither are most of the decisions we make in our life unless we work very hard at being rational.

People fear the cars on the road and the 6 feet of grass between them and the normal trajectory of the cars makes them feel safe. They're not realizing that every one of those cars is going to turn eventually.
Old 09-19-08, 08:51 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kajero
A car driver yelled at me the other day: "GET on the sidewalk". With that kind of idiot driving around, maybe it might be a good idea to take the sidewalk.
Who wants to live their lives entirely at the whim of what everyone else wants them to do?
Old 09-19-08, 09:28 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see a lot of sidewalk riders here too, probably about 50 -50. I refuse to ride on the sidewalk unless construction forces it, I even avoid mups which are just sidewalks that veer away from the road shoulder.

Personally I added 3km and about 500 ft more climbing in order to avoid one section where the 4 lane road is too narrow and is a main truck route to travel it safely in rush hour on the road.

So my 50 km daily commute is all road. And my weekend group rides are never sidewalk obviously.
Old 09-19-08, 11:22 PM
Beccaree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a sidewalk rider. I only go in the road if I have to. I feel more safe on the sidewalk. I don't understand why people care if some of us ride on sidewalks. Yes, it has the word walk in it... I ride on a MUP that has a green sign with a bike on it at a crosswalk to alert drivers that bikes cross the road that point. Does that mean that pedestrians or people on inline skates can't cross there? As far as I know, it's not illegal for adults to ride on sidewalks in my area. Most people ride on them. The only people on the road are the roadie types.
Old 09-19-08, 11:29 PM
slloth

Bikes: '72 peugeot PX10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just want to go as fast as I can. The side walk has to many obstacles and bumps.

When I was a kid and riding my BMX was more about doing tricks and just cruising the sidewalk was fun. Now that I am older and my objective is to get from point A to point B as fast as I can the sidewalk is only used to pass traffic on the road.
Old 09-20-08, 12:13 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beccaree
I'm a sidewalk rider. I only go in the road if I have to. I feel more safe on the sidewalk. I don't understand why people care if some of us ride on sidewalks. Yes, it has the word walk in it... I ride on a MUP that has a green sign with a bike on it at a crosswalk to alert drivers that bikes cross the road that point. Does that mean that pedestrians or people on inline skates can't cross there? As far as I know, it's not illegal for adults to ride on sidewalks in my area. Most people ride on them. The only people on the road are the roadie types.

I will warn you of this...The majority of the near misses I had when I got back into riding in the spring were cross walks.

Riding the street and acting like a car at ALL intersections (taking the lane) has greatly reduced the near misses I have had.

A mistake of riding in the street is riding the white line. The law only indicates ride as far to the right as is safe. Riding the line invites cars to wedge in without giving you a good amount of room. That is not safe. Ride the right tire track becasue that visualy makes you look like you are taking half the lane. That forces people too change lanes instead of trying to squeeze past you.

Basically you have to exert control on the drivers by positioning yourself in such a way to force them to make the safe choice of passing when they have a good line of sight and actually leave the lane you are in when passing you.

The street is often a much smoother and faster ride that wears on you less. I do conceed that sometimes the sidewalk is a good choice as my above post and link indicated but you might give street riding more concideration. I feel at intersections it is far safer then using cross walks.
Old 09-20-08, 12:22 AM
Reacker