Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

No dishing for my fatbike rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 05:26 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts

My other winter project is building a front wheel with electric hub motor for a 20"x3: fat tire e-bike. I have to use a motor from a regular ebike with a 135mm axle, which is the drop out size on the steel front fork. The motor is designed for a freewheel but I will not have one, so there's 2 cm of dead space on the axle. I will have to dish the wheel if I want to center it in the fork.

The Grin ebike spoke calculator lets me enter what I want for dishing, and also shows what it will look like in the bottom figure. If I want to center the wheel in the fork, the dishing looks a bit funky. .

I think I won't dish it at all. It will be disk brake, so no worry about rims. The result will be a bike with the front wheel track about 2 cm offset from the rear wheel. With 2-x3" tires, I do not think it will matter. And I don't ever ride no-hands. Any other tradeoffs for no dishing?

This will be my seventh wheel build, so I'm confident I can do it. The ebike issues are well in hand. Small motor, Steel fork.

Old 01-14-20, 06:55 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I am not an expert but I do not see how you can make a wheel with the spokes on both sides pulling the same direction. I think that the -80 in the tension ratio entry is not possible, I think it would indicate a spoke which is under compression not tension. I think you need to center the hub somehow. Looking at the diagram it does not make sense.
Old 01-14-20, 07:13 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Agreed. Spokes on each side have to oppose each other to hold the rim.
Old 01-14-20, 07:57 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Did you buy a rim yet? Surly, and maybe other fat rims have two sets of spoke holes so you can lace to just one side of the rim. I forget how much offset that gives you in general, but I think that's part of how the original Surly fat bike used 135mm hubs front and rear.
Old 01-15-20, 01:24 AM
Doc_Wui

Yes, a fat bike front droput is 135mm and if I had a standard hub, the flanges would probably be 120 mm apart. This being a motor, the hub flanges are only 50mm. And in the no dish position, both flanges are right above the two rows of spoke holes, which are abour 40mm apart. so any dishing makes for the all the spokes leaning away from the far side.

We'll leave dish at zero.
Old 01-15-20, 11:03 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Yes, a fat bike front droput is 135mm and if I had a standard hub, the flanges would probably be 120 mm apart. This being a motor, the hub flanges are only 50mm. And in the no dish position, both flanges are right above the two rows of spoke holes, which are abour 40mm apart. so any dishing makes for the all the spokes leaning away from the far side.

We'll leave dish at zero.
That wheel will not last long.
Old 01-15-20, 07:00 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
My other winter project is building a front wheel with electric hub motor for a 20"x3: fat tire e-bike. I have to use a motor from a regular ebike with a 135mm axle, which is the drop out size on the steel front fork. The motor is designed for a freewheel but I will not have one, so there's 2 cm of dead space on the axle. I will have to dish the wheel if I want to center it in the fork.

The Grin ebike spoke calculator lets me enter what I want for dishing, and also shows what it will look like in the bottom figure. If I want to center the wheel in the fork, the dishing looks a bit funky. .

I think I won't dish it at all. It will be disk brake, so no worry about rims. The result will be a bike with the front wheel track about 2 cm offset from the rear wheel. With 2-x3" tires, I do not think it will matter. And I don't ever ride no-hands. Any other tradeoffs for no dishing?

This will be my seventh wheel build, so I'm confident I can do it. The ebike issues are well in hand. Small motor, Steel fork.

I have built numerous fat bike wheels, but I have never faced this scenario. I would try cross lacing in this situation, provided the hole would allow the nipples to swivel the opposite way enough. What I mean is lacing the right flange to the left row of nipple holes and vice versa. It would make the entire truing exercise counter intuitive,
Edit: Looking closer at the ERD and flange size, I'm pretty sure this would not work in this case due to the extreme angle the nipples would take on the left side. The earlier suggestion of a 64 hole rim (I have seen them in 26" but not sure about 24) and lacing both sides to the right might be the best solution.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 01-16-20 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-15-20, 10:33 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I am not an expert but I do not see how you can make a wheel with the spokes on both sides pulling the same direction. I think that the -80 in the tension ratio entry is not possible, I think it would indicate a spoke which is under compression not tension. I think you need to center the hub somehow. Looking at the diagram it does not make sense.
I guess I am technically what you call an expert, and everything "nonexpert*" dsbrantjr says is spot on.

You can't have both spoke sides angled towards the same size of the wheel. The software that gives a -80 tension is, shall we say, not bombproof to put it mildly. RH side spokes must angle to the left side of the wheel, and LH side spokes to the right. There are no exceptions for spoked wheels: spokes must be in tension.

If the hub setup is such that both flanges are on one side of the hub centerline, you have an unbuildable wheel.

*Don't believe him when he tells you he's not an expert! About 90% of the time I see a question and am going to answer it, I read down the list of posts and he's beaten me to it. And he's correct! And he's less wordy! Darn your eyes, dsbrantjr!
Old 01-17-20, 09:13 AM
Doc_Wui

Aha, I figured it out. I measured wrong. I took the width of the freewheel as the dish, and din;t include any offset on the other side.

The last wheel I measured was three years ago and I did it correctly then, and since then I've made copies of that wheel two more times. Starting afresh, I screwed up on the wheel offset, I only need a few mm of dish.

Good to have your feedback! That would have been one heck of a wheel.