Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Motivation

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Motivation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-19, 03:30 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Motivation

I've been commuting in Chicago year round since I moved here 4 years ago. I used to really enjoy the "Man Against Nature" thing, gearing up to face the elements. I liked trying different layers, goggles, gloves etc. Kind of like I was suiting up to go into space!

This year it's been harder to get motivated. Maybe it's that I basically have everything sorted equipment-wise. It's not a new exciting experience it's becoming a routine, a 20F routine is a bit hard to fired up over!

Anyone else experience this? What did you do?
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 12-12-19, 03:38 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Haven't done anything yet. I went from a gas guzzling 12 mpg truck to a tiny car. Between things I've had to do and the better gas mileage I haven't done much riding lately. I also may need to put my studs on but I'm hoping to start next week and ride alittle before there is too much snow to ride. How long is your commute?
Old 12-12-19, 04:45 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Yeah, I totally get that. It varies day to day, week to week for me, depending on my mood, and largely on the weather. When it's super cold or there's snow I feel it more.

Here's a thread from a few weeks back where we commiserated about the same thing:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ily-grind.html
Old 12-12-19, 04:48 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Originally Posted by baldilocks
Haven't done anything yet. I went from a gas guzzling 12 mpg truck to a tiny car. Between things I've had to do and the better gas mileage I haven't done much riding lately. I also may need to put my studs on but I'm hoping to start next week and ride alittle before there is too much snow to ride. How long is your commute?
It's super short, and it just ended. I used to work in West Loop and had an 8.5 mile ride, each way. Now I've just finished my third semester as a college student. My campus is about a 12 minute ride, but we're now in winter break.

And I'm moving to New York in about a month to continue school there, joining my wife who's been there for a couple months. She was accepted to a musicians development program, so she's staying with friends till I had finished my semester here.

I guess New York City commuting will bring some excitement back to my ride!

I think it's been the short ride that makes it less critical to "suit up". I'm just cold for 12 minutes and then I've arrived. Plus being away from my wife hasn't been the most fun, that has an effect for sure. I suppose I've been less enthused in a general way.
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 12-12-19, 04:49 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Yeah, I totally get that. It varies day to day, week to week for me, depending on my mood, and largely on the weather. When it's super cold or there's snow I feel it more.

Here's a thread from a few weeks back where we commiserated about the same thing:

YES.
This.
AND the getting dark at 4:00pm is the worst!
Old 12-12-19, 05:39 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
added quote by BobbyG

Motivation
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I've been commuting in Chicago year round since I moved here 4 years ago. I used to really enjoy the "Man Against Nature" thing, gearing up to face the elements. I liked trying different layers, goggles, gloves etc. Kind of like I was suiting up to go into space!

This year it's been harder to get motivated. Maybe it's that I basically have everything sorted equipment-wise. It's not a new exciting experience it's becoming a routine, a 20F routine is a bit hard to fired up over!

I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
”Winter weather”

...I have come to enjoy (somewhat) meeting the challenges. Dressing up in layers and adjusting the gaps in clothing on a dark early morning imparts a sense of adventure like an astronaut suiting up for lift-off.

And while the solitude of space is more profound, the solitude of winter morning riding is more intense than in the summer, and I like cocooning into myself as I ride.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Yeah, I totally get that [harder to get motivated]. It varies day to day, week to week for me, depending on my mood, and largely on the weather. When it's super cold or there's snow I feel it more.

YES.
This.
I like early morning riding between 4 to 6 AM. I think the drunks and crazies are mostly off the road by that time (since the bars here close at 2:00 AM), and the ones driving at those hours are pretty responsible people.

I think of them as the ones entrusted to get the world started for the rest of us. Also the overnight shift changes usually occur at 7:00 AM, so those possibly sleep-impaired commuters are also off the road.
Originally Posted by Rowan
...I have done a lot of night riding over the years. Often, the roads and paths are very quiet, and on country roads, I find myself in a cocoon or tunnel of light and my imagination can run wild ....

Even in urban area, riding at night can be relaxing and interesting. The traffic is much less because, after all, most sane people are inside eating, on the net, or in bed (doing whatever).

Some of the buildings that are drab and grey during the day some to life at night even with just different coloured street lighting.
and in a more detailed reply to @mcours2006 thread, I have posted:
'The Daily Grind'
Originally Posted by BobbyG
...Try a new accessory. Try new clothing. Try a new route or modified route. Try a new podcast (one ear). Try pushing your weather limits.…

You just need to find the motivation.

I was off the bike for a year due to a bulging disc in my neck when I was 48. It was the most miserable year of my adult life, physically and mentally. I knew what I was missing, and for the last 9 years I fight for it every morning I can. …

And if you can't find the motivation before you start your ride, you will find it somewhere on the ride or even at the end.

just go, Go, GO!
...I too remember some years ago, likely even after joining Bike Forums in 2008, after a few seasons of of relatively enthusisastic Winter Commuting thinking how long can I keep this up (?). I can’t remember my specific thoughts that alleviated it. Nonethless, when I first read this thread, I too thought of two themes… motivation, and inability to ride.

I have frequently replied to threads about motivation (link); and I have had two periods of prolonged absence, particularly after a serious accident in 2012...

Just this morning I happened to be reading “Men’s Health” magazine, and a reader wrote in about his lack motivation to work out. The editor had an interesting reply. He commented that the problem may not be lack of motivation, but competing motivations with a limited amount of time to satisfy them.

For example eating a deep dish pizza is more motivating than working out. So too, might the ease of driving overcome the hassles of [Winter] driving as described above, and even overwhelm the enjoyable motivations to cycle...

For the past few couple years, other than few episodic medical problems, my riding has tapered off, not due to lack of desire. I have posted...

For me, my professional responsibilities, as well as that I like my job and family, have overwhelmed my desire / ability to cycle-commute, even in the winter. (Fortunately, a drastic change in workload is about to occur within the next couple weeks.)

FWIW, According to the editor of that magazine, you just have to decide how to prioritize your motivations.
FYA, see my full post for additional comments by other subscribers.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-14-19 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-13-19, 08:29 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
12 mpg truck
That's my motivation

The two times I've driven to my current job, I've sat in traffic and pictured money blowing out of the tail pipe. I also know that on the bike, I can leave whenever I want and not have to sit in traffic...rather than planning around the parking lot.

I've also done the short commute in sub-zero weather thing. Suiting up can be a pain, but riding was always more convenient than driving (scrape a car, look for parking) and safer than walking (better traction on ice and visibility to drivers).
Old 12-13-19, 12:52 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
YES.
This.
+1; I'd say this time of year is harder even than mid-winter (Jan-Feb) to get motivated (for ANYTHING, for that matter). And for me it's all about the short daylight.

As for motivations, for me, the prime motivations center on the alternatives:
Car:
* Parking a car/truck downtown is insanely expensive.
* Short distance trips are murder on motor vehicles
* Trip is so short, in winter, the cab / cabin would never warm up
* No garage at home - on snowy/wet days, it would take longer to clear the windows off than to drive in

Bus:
* I'm on their schedule, not mine
* On days I'm running late, the morning busses run VERY infrequently after aprx. 9:00AM. Same goes for evening busses home if I'm working late. Means some COLD waits in the shelter, if I happen to miss one
* Gotta wonder what my fellow passengers are carrying/spreading
* OTOH, I ride the bus for free, so that's something of a bike-commute DE-motivator that I have to fight
Old 12-13-19, 01:29 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
It doesn't get that cold down here—I rarely set out on my commute with the temperature below freezing—but for me, the motivation is that I just hate car commuting. It makes me crazy. On those days when it's cold and wet and windy, I may not enjoy bike commuting much either, admittedly.

I change up my route once in a while (I'd add on a few extra miles for fun, but the area where I'd do it is undergoing a massive construction project). Lately I've been making a conscious effort to ride harder.
Old 12-13-19, 01:38 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts

Sometimes I don't feel motivated to ride the bike, but if I force myself to do it, I always end up enjoying it.

I also like, especially on summer, to take the long way home, or even experiment a new route.
Old 12-13-19, 02:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I often think of "motivation" (in general) as very personal. we have to find what works for us, individually. good luck with yours. I struggle as well, maybe not with your particular issue (commuting to work) but with other bike related stuff. getting new gear definitely helps, even small inexpensive items. I try not to beat myself up if I need a break. my bikes will be there, waiting for me, when I'm ready to get back on them
Old 12-13-19, 03:24 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I love to vary my commute and not ride the same route everyday. We are getting new trails I like to explore and I love nature. Enjoying the beautiful sun rises in the morning, the wildlife, the smells, the sounds and other little things does motivate me. I try to stay away from busy roads and keep to suburban roads or trails. I even sometimes stop to take pictures or just enjoy the moment. The ride is kind of stress relief for me. However Texas summer are tough. Riding home in +100 degrees with +50% humidity can be tough. Then I sometimes ask myself why I am doing that. lol
But then it is still better than being stuck in traffic in a tin box.
Old 12-13-19, 06:20 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I've been finding my morning commute unusually arduous for the last month or so. Must be me getting old. My commute is actually shorter now than it was last year, 4.4 miles whereas it used to be 5.5, but that isn't a noticable difference.

Motivation isn't a problem for me; I don't have a plan B so it's either get on the bike or stay in bed, and i can't justify staying in bed unless I'm sick or it's actually snowing. Oh yeah, on Wednesday it was actually snowing so, yeah, I went back to bed. No such luck this morning, it was 27°F and clear. I know, I know, that's not serious cold, but I still hated it.

In another week the days will start to get longer again, yay. It'll still be cold, though.
Old 12-13-19, 07:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Race yourself.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-14-19, 02:14 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Race yourself.
Yes, I do this sometimes too. I also sometimes play little games like trying to do the whole commute without putting a foot on the floor (that means timing the traffic lights, and trying to do a track stand if I fail).
Old 12-15-19, 03:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I used to feel that resistance and hear a whiny voice that said, "I don't WANNA ride today." But then I started paying attention to how I feel after a commute instead of before. After I took the subway, did I regret taking the subway and wish I had ridden my bike? Yes. After riding, even in bad conditions, do I wish I had taken the subway? No! So knowing how I'll feel at the end is the important question. There have been a few rides on snow and ice when I would have been better off leaving the bike at home. So I do have my limits. But knowing what they are is all I have to think about. I might stop riding when the temperature goes below 25ΊF this winter, especially if it feels like too much of a battle.

You should know that our winters in NYC are not as bad as Chicago's. It's fairly rare to go below 25ΊF. Some winters, it never happens. We do have a lot of wind, though. I get the worst of it, as I ride along the Hudson.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-15-19, 04:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I ride along the Hudson.
any ice show up yet? Such a dramatic landscape
Old 12-15-19, 09:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
any ice show up yet? Such a dramatic landscape
No ice yet. We don't get it every winter, and not in December.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 12-16-19, 01:20 PM
dufeau

Bikes: '77 Trek TX-900 | 2003 Circle A fixie | 70s PUCH pathfinder | '50s unknown pathracer | 70's Libertas | 70s Romani | Gitane folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
After I took the subway, did I regret taking the subway and wish I had ridden my bike? Yes. After riding, even in bad conditions, do I wish I had taken the subway? No!
This is the essence of it... I think less of "what is my motivation" and more "what is the reward". The reward is the feeling of vitality and (somewhat fatigued ) vigor and the lack of regret! I also often augment the reward (especially on my ride home) with a treat of a good pint of ale at a favorite tavern or pub (rotate pubs for variety!)
Old 12-16-19, 01:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

That's a good way to put it, dufeau. It's the reward, not the motivation.

Old 12-27-19, 07:31 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I retired and no longer commute. Once retired I realized I missed my job some, missed my co-workers more BUT missed my commute the most. Motivation was often an issue but I would always tell myself how much I enjoyed the ride but I needed to START riding. Within a few hundred feet of the start I wondered why the motivational angst. All of it flew off my body as I rode. I just needed to START the ride.
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 12-27-19, 11:32 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
Motivation was often an issue but I would always tell myself how much I enjoyed the ride but I needed to START riding. Within a few hundred feet of the start I wondered why the motivational angst. All of it flew off my body as I rode. I just needed to START the ride.
Exactly! Starting is the hard part! Once I'm rolling it's fine, it's just getting there I have issues with. It's hardest this time of year, when it's cold and pitch black outside. When I'm riding through the marsh, I can hear the waterfowl panicking and flapping away; there's a tinge of light over the top of the hills, and I can feel my nostril hairs getting frosty. It's also very quiet, with no traffic, until I get to the highway. Even that's fine, because by then I'm warmed up and feeling great. I feel good when I get to work, and breakfast is even better for working up an appetite. (I have a little Lunch Crock on a timer that has hot steel cut oats (and fruit and nuts and cinnamon) waiting for me at work.)

That said, the bus stop is a block from home, I have a month pass, and the bus has a heater. You see the problem.
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-27-19, 12:53 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
That said, the bus stop is a block from home, I have a month pass, and the bus has a heater. You see the problem.
+1, and to compound it, in my case, the bus pass is free. The flip side / motivation is that I'd rather be on my own schedule, rather than the bus company's. And if I miss a bus, the wait can be long.
Old 12-28-19, 03:32 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
+1, and to compound it, in my case, the bus pass is free. The flip side / motivation is that I'd rather be on my own schedule, rather than the bus company's. And if I miss a bus, the wait can be long.
I can see that. My bike gets me to work about 15 minutes after the bus would, and there's a second bus that would still get me to work on time. 🤷‍♀️