Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Endurance Bike for Stability

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Endurance Bike for Stability

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 03:52 PM
Domane

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MeddlingKids
I've heard people say the Domane felt "soft" and "lifeless" to them, so I'm not surprised to read it here. I didn't know there would be such a huge difference between the 4.X Domane and the 5.2 Domane. You're saying the latter is more responsive?

It's funny you mentioned the Emonda. I always assumed it was a race geometry bike, and as such, I haven't really considered it as I have been looking at different options. That said, I have seen it pop up several times in endurance bike threads, so I will definitely give it a ride. Looks like it's going to be a busy day, as I'm aiming to ride the following:

Trek Domane 5.2
Trek Emonda (possibly)
Cannondale Synapse Ultegra
Giant Advanced Pro 1 (if I can find one nearby)
BMC GF02 (if I can find one nearby)
The only place I have seen where people claim they can feel a difference between the four series Domane and the five and six series Domane's are in these bike forums. The reviews I have read have clearly stated that the reviewer really could not feel much if any difference between a four series Domane and the five and six series. I don't buy that the seat mast makes that much difference that any rider can feel it. I have a Domane 4.5 from 2013 and the seat post in the tube works very effective. The biggest difference you are going to get is the higher line carbon allowing for a little less weight.

My 4.5 Domane also came with Bontrager Race TLR wheels. I have since upgraded twice, first with a set of Bontrager Race Lite TLR wheels and then Boyd Altamont wheels.
Old 04-11-15, 05:36 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I test rode a Domane 4.5 and the 5.2. But the 4.5 was a larger size and we had to adjust the seatpost down for me. It did feel a bit lifeless to me; the 5.2 felt a lot better. The 4.5 was at the LBS while the 5.2 I rode was at one of the Trek Demo Days events.

But the 5.2 has a different carbon mix, different wheels, tires, components, etc.

All I can really say is that, FOR ME, I greatly preferred the 5.2 over the 4.5. Which is why I stress to the OP that he not dismiss any bikes based on forum opinions but go test ride them for himself.

Next year, Trek will release its new gravel bike, the Damone.
Old 04-11-15, 07:31 PM
MeddlingKids

Bikes: '15 Bianchi Infinito CV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for all the feedback and recommendations; I really appreciate all the insight! I visited three separate bike shops today and rode the following bikes (in the order I tested them out):

2015 Trek Domane 5.2 - I definitely get what people have said about this bike reducing bumps and road buzz. I also found it to be pretty responsive to "I want to go fast now" pedaling. That said, I just didn't really enjoy riding it much. I didn't find it to be as stable as some of the other bikes I rode and never really felt super comfortable with the steering, for some reason.

2015 Cannondale Synapse Ultegra - This thing felt sweet. It was comfortable to ride, relatively stable, and I enjoyed taking some sweeping turns on it. I definitely felt the sluggishness when trying to push the bike, though. From a cost perspective, they were willing to sell this at a pretty solid discount.

2015 BMC Granfondo GF02 - I didn't like this one at all. It was reasonably smooth but I felt like I was pushing a brick through the air. I also wasn't wild about the appearance of the frame, from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

2014 Bianchi Infinito CV - Wow was this bike awesome. Comfortable, stable, yet reasonably responsive. I definitely felt the most at ease on this bike and enjoyed it more than any of the others I have ridden (including the Roubaix). Unfortunately, this bike is also out of my price range. He had me riding a demo model that they used for a "take the bike around California and show it at events" purpose. As such, the bike had only been lightly ridden but the transporting resulted in a few scrapes, nicks and scratches but nothing major. They were willing to knock 24% off the retail price, which wasn't really sufficient given that this was essentially a used bike (and a year old). He was willing to discount the 2015, but not enough to make this bike in my price range, sadly.

I may try to figure out a way to get the Bianchi, otherwise it's down to the Synapse or the Roubaix. I don't really like the Roubaix that much more than the Synapse where I would be willing to pay $700 more for it, though. But, man that Bianchi...

Last edited by MeddlingKids; 04-13-15 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 09:06 PM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rock solid stability was a high purchase priority for me, and one that led me to the endurance side of the fence. Lots or really good bikes in this category but the only one that I liked nearly as well as my Pinarello Rokh was the Emonda.
Old 04-12-15, 01:13 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
2015 Trek Madone 5.2 - I definitely get what people have said about this bike reducing bumps and road buzz. I also found it to be pretty responsive to "I want to go fast now" pedaling. That said, I just didn't really enjoy riding it much. I didn't find it to be as stable as some of the other bikes I rode and never really felt super comfortable with the steering, for some reason.
Huh. While I can understand not feeling super comfortable with it's steering, I'm surprised you didn't find it stable.

2015 Cannondale Synapse Ultegra - This thing felt sweet. It was comfortable to ride, relatively stable, and I enjoyed taking some sweeping turns on it. I definitely felt the sluggishness when trying to push the bike, though. From a cost perspective, they were willing to sell this at a pretty solid discount.
Interesting, I felt the same way about the bike. Not necessarily a bad bike, but not a "feel like you're moving fast" bike. "I definitely felt the sluggishness when trying to push the bike, though" is how I felt.

2014 Bianchi Infinito CV - Wow was this bike awesome. Comfortable, stable, yet reasonably responsive. I definitely felt the most at ease on this bike and enjoyed it more than any of the others I have ridden (including the Roubaix). Unfortunately, this bike is also out of my price range. He had me riding a demo model that they used for a "take the bike around California and show it at events" purpose. As such, the bike had only been lightly ridden but the transporting resulted in a few scrapes, nicks and scratches but nothing major. They were willing to knock 24% off the retail price, which wasn't really sufficient given that this was essentially a used bike (and a year old). He was willing to discount the 2015, but not enough to make this bike in my price range, sadly.

I may try to figure out a way to get the Bianchi, otherwise it's down to the Synapse or the Roubaix. I don't really like the Roubaix that much more than the Synapse where I would be willing to pay $700 more for it, though. But, man that Bianchi...
Well dammit, the Bianchi is one of the few bikes I wanted to try but wasn't able to last year...hmm...

What was the cost difference for the Bianchi?

I wouldn't let some scratches and scrapes stop me from getting the bike if I really liked it. Would depend on how much more it cost. No point in spending a lot of money, but not quite enough, to be always riding something I didn't like that much.
Old 04-12-15, 01:27 AM
MeddlingKids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Huh. While I can understand not feeling super comfortable with it's steering, I'm surprised you didn't find it stable.

Interesting, I felt the same way about the bike. Not necessarily a bad bike, but not a "feel like you're moving fast" bike. "I definitely felt the sluggishness when trying to push the bike, though" is how I felt.

Well dammit, the Bianchi is one of the few bikes I wanted to try but wasn't able to last year...hmm...

What was the cost difference for the Bianchi?

I wouldn't let some scratches and scrapes stop me from getting the bike if I really liked it. Would depend on how much more it cost. No point in spending a lot of money, but not quite enough, to be always riding something I didn't like that much.
They discounted the Bianchi approximately $1,100 but that was for a bike that's a year old and used. The discount on the 2015 was about $400.
Old 04-12-15, 06:17 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
No Norco Valence dealer in your area?
Old 04-12-15, 07:41 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
They discounted the Bianchi approximately $1,100 but that was for a bike that's a year old and used. The discount on the 2015 was about $400.
I test rode the Infinito CV last year (when I also test rode Madone, Domane, but prior to test riding the Emonda). It's a fantastic bike. It does a great job of dampening vibrations without eliminating road feel. Compared to the Madone and Domane, I definitely think it's the better bike . . . and if my local dealer had a demo for $1,100 off, I'd have bought it.

But good lord are they expensive! I was looking at a Domane with Red22, and a Bianchi Infinito CV with Force22 and bottom-of-the-barrel wheels was still 2 grand more!

Then I road the Emonda, which is frankly a better bike than the Bianchi. It absorbs road vibrations just as well, is lighter, and a much more reasonably-priced bike than what Bianchi is charging for their bike.

The Bianchi is a fantastic bike. If it's outside your budget, you really, really owe it to yourself to test ride an Emonda. It rides very similarly to the Infinito CV.
Old 04-12-15, 10:37 AM
Long Tom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As with women and guitars, when you find "the one" that just knocks you out, you gotta go for it.

Buy the Bianchi. It'll still at the point of purchase but make you happy for the next decade-plus. Amortized across the life of the bike, the difference in cost is meaningless.
Old 04-12-15, 01:40 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Tom
As with women and guitars, when you find "the one" that just knocks you out, you gotta go for it.

Buy the Bianchi. It'll still at the point of purchase but make you happy for the next decade-plus. Amortized across the life of the bike, the difference in cost is meaningless.
Can't agree more with Long Tom. If you buy a Synapse now and the Bianchi later (which you will) it will have cost you even more. try Adrenaline Bikes.

Adrenaline Bikes

I've bought two previous year (or two) models from them at excellent prices. A Vigorelli and an Impulso, both 2012's purchased in 2013 and 2014. Adrenaline is in CA I think, I live in Indiana.
Old 04-12-15, 01:41 PM
PaulRivers

I faced almost exactly this same situation the last time I bought a road bike. I spent the extra money to buy a bike that was older, used (white bar tape was definitely not white anymore, if you know what I mean) but was another tier up in carbon quality and I liked riding more. I've continued to look back and be happy with the decision. You didn't post total cost numbers, but if you're already going to spend $3k on a bike, I'd rather spend $1k more and get a bike I enjoy riding than save $1k and never quite be happy with it.

The one other teneable choice for me would have been to buy a cheap entry level bike, but that's not as relevant for you - when I was buying mine they were just getting down how to make full carbon bikes well (2011 I think).

Just my opinion and experience.
Old 04-12-15, 04:33 PM
MeddlingKids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new Bianchi was $4200 before tax. The Cannondale would be $2600 before tax. I could probably try to get a bit lower on the Bianchi potentially. The demo bike isn't really a viable option for me at this point.
Old 04-12-15, 06:37 PM
PaulRivers

The new Bianchi was $4200 before tax. The Cannondale would be $2600 before tax. I could probably try to get a bit lower on the Bianchi potentially. The demo bike isn't really a viable option for me at this point.
Cool, not much to add that hasn't been said already. You should really try an Emonda. :-) I personally wouldn't drop that kind of cash on a "kinda like it" it bike, I'd either spend more or just get something much cheaper and wait and see if something else comes along in the future.

Good luck. :-)
Old 04-12-15, 07:21 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I would buy what you really want. If you can't afford it now, wait until you save the difference. Or just get it now. Interest on financing is as close to zero as you can get.
Old 04-12-15, 07:34 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
I am currently riding a Trek Madone 4.5 and there are a few things I haven't really enjoyed about the bike. The responsiveness of the steering may be great for short races, but it makes maintaining a stable line a bit of a challenge at times. Also, I've found it to be a bit jarring over some of our less than stellar roads in the area. As such, I've started looking into endurance bikes. I am looking for something that will be comfortable on longer rides, provide more stability in a variety of scenarios, but still be light enough that I don't feel like I'm pushing through sand.

This weekend I went to the local Specialized dealer and rode the Roubaix Expert and it felt great. The bike was more smooth, super stable, yet still fairly quick. I also rode the Tarmac for comparison purposes, and as expected, it had some of the qualities of my Madone that I don't really care for much. The local Specialized dealer wasn't really willing to discount the Roubaix and I want to make this a complete search, so I've been looking at offerings from other manufacturers. But, I was hoping you all could chime in with your thoughts on which bikes below will offer a more stable and comfortable ride. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I will probably skip over the Trek Domane, however.

Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
Cannondale Synapse Ultegra
BMC GranFondo GF02
Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
Pinarello Marvel (the bike shop said they would be willing to discount this one, so the price might be in my range)

Thanks in advance!
Looks like a Defy was on top today, in the Paris Roubaix.
Old 04-12-15, 07:52 PM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Leonard Zinn designed me the best bike for endurance. To my body. From Magnesium. None better. Steel is close. Trek Cronus Ultimate CX not too lousy and certainly bettter than than the Domane. Tested Roubaix and Domane. I suspect the two carbon frames that might rival mine would be Calfee or Parlee ESX or his touring model since both can take a sufficient tire width unlike the Specialized or Trek. Tire wide and supple sidewalls get rid of road vibration. Frame material or design? Not so much. Unless it is magnesium
Old 04-12-15, 08:43 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts

See if you can test ride a Bianchi Intenso. Its the same frame as the older Infinito, and is significantly cheaper. Its the exact same geometry as the Infinito CV.
Old 04-13-15, 07:55 AM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sounded like the Bianchi is the bike that spoke to you. I would figure out a way to get it. You wont be truly happy until you do. Take this from experience

I second try the Emdona idea also! I hear / read that bike is just amazing.
Old 04-13-15, 11:19 AM
MeddlingKids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Munk69
Sounded like the Bianchi is the bike that spoke to you. I would figure out a way to get it. You wont be truly happy until you do. Take this from experience

I second try the Emdona idea also! I hear / read that bike is just amazing.
Yeah, I may need to start calling around to see whether I can get better pricing than the $4,200 I was quoted this weekend for the Infinito.

As far as the Emonda is concerned, the geometry looks nearly identical to the Madone I've been riding. Not sure that's a good fit for me.
Old 04-13-15, 11:35 AM
sqgator

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced SL 1, Specialized Sirrus Pro Carbon, Scott Scale 710, Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Looks like a Defy was on top today, in the Paris Roubaix.
If Defy is good enough for John Degenkolb, should be good enough for me.

Nothing outregeous about the winning Defy bike, just a complete Shimano Dura Ace Di2 groupset with Shimano C35 wheel set and Vittoria 30mm Tubular tires. Basically just a well made Giant bike and a great rider.

Last edited by sqgator; 04-14-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-13-15, 11:38 AM
MeddlingKids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sqgator
If Defy is good enough for John Degenkolb, should be good enough for me.
That's one I unfortunately haven't had the opportunity to ride yet, but I have heard great things. I'm not particularly wild about the mandated disc brakes on the carbon Defy, though.
Old 04-14-15, 09:05 AM
MeddlingKids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After talking to a couple stores, a 10% discount is the max they're willing to do. While this still seems like a great deal, it's a tad more than I want to spend right now. I'm starting to cross some options off the list, but also adding a few names again that I may want to look at.

I have read some reviews on the Cervelo R3 that indicate it has some smoothing capabilities over rough roads, but the steering seems pretty quick. Are these all around good bikes for comfort but not necessarily as stable as some of the other options in this thread?

Also, is it worth checking out the Giant Defy Advanced Pro despite the fact that it comes only with disc brakes?
Old 04-14-15, 09:21 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Defy was my second fave to my Roubaix. Probably worth a ride.
Old 04-14-15, 09:25 AM
MeddlingKids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
The Defy was my second fave to my Roubaix. Probably worth a ride.
Did you ride it with the disc brakes? The only bike I've ridden that had discs was the Synapse and I wasn't really a fan.
Old 04-14-15, 09:52 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you ride it with the disc brakes? The only bike I've ridden that had discs was the Synapse and I wasn't really a fan.
I own and have ridden road bikes with disc brakes. My preference is a good caliper brake on a road bike, but a well setup mechanical disc brake works just as well in dry conditions and better in not so dry conditions. I didn't dig the hydraulics as much. They stop well, but I found they rubbed more. It appears the road bike world is going that direction though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.