Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 10:34 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jordnara

Really nice Peugeot! welcome to the Forum
Old 10-14-15, 05:17 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
updates to this guy:

im calling it The White Rabbit now
hangy jawn to support the rear bag and make it look nice
changed the saddle to a crappy origin8 one that my bum agrees with till i find something better, i just cant get on with a saddle that has a curved top, no matter how perfect they look on this bike
frame pump
tubeless

soon: second pair of wheels with dyno front with matching lights, 10sp sram rd+cassette
Really nice! What size tires are those? I like Frankentreks!
Old 10-14-15, 06:56 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts

My granfather bought it when he was in his late 70's and used it for riding sportives. I rode some of the events with him when I was young. Since he passed the bike have just been standing around. It got to the point when I had to use it or... Never liked riding it before but some new parts makes it feel like a very well sorted modern bike. Took a ride together with a Supersix Evo the other day. We switched back and forth between the bikes and they both felt fast and comfortable. The Evo had a slight edge but it wasn't much in it. In the end for me the Peugeot is much more versatile. It has clearance for studded tires and you can take a slow ride in just jeans and a shirt if you want to. Doing that on a carbon race bike makes you feel like a moron but on a french classic it's OK.
Nice work, I really like it. An STI conversion of a Peugeot of this era is a C&V grail project for me.
Old 10-14-15, 09:15 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Really nice! What size tires are those? I like Frankentreks!
650b x 38mm panaracer col de la vie tires

couple pages back has another shot of it and a link to pedalroom if youre interested in the other specifics, or the link in my sig
Old 10-14-15, 04:07 PM
billonmidwatch
not a climber

Bikes: road bikes '85 Italian steel 2x6, '95 USA titanium 2x9, '00 folder 1x7, '07 Taiwan carbon 2x10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an '85 Italian classic steel Frugeri (small town shop 25 miles west of Milan). Sig. Ottaviano Frugeri is an old friend of Sig. Ernesto Colnago and my frame was built by one of their associates. It's a great bike, to me, but not a collectible. Italian crit racing tight geometry. When I haven't ridden it in a while, at first it feels squirrely, like, I imagine, driving a Ferrari.

In the 90's I upgraded the cheap, worn out Ofmega 6 speed components (it was all I could afford as a college student when I bought the bike new), with a Shimano 105 derailleur, SIS downtube shifters, and "aero" brake levers (cables under the bar tape).

I love the bike, it still fits me like a glove. But I've never liked the feel of the brake hoods - too short, too much pressure between my thumbs and fingers. Sram brifters feel much more comfortable to me. I received a pair of Sram brifters from a friend's wrecked bike and I'm considering putting them on my Frugeri, with the same Shimano 105 derailleur and 6 speed freewheel. Then limit the derailleur movement with the H and L screws to only 5 clicks up and 5 clicks down.

Before diving into disassembly and reassembly, please check my plan. According to this website,

Art's Cyclery Blog » Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility

the Shimano 6 shifters have a cable pull of 3.2 mm. The Sram (Exact Actuation) 10 Road/Mountain brifters have a cable pull of 3.1 mm. Which *might* be *close enough*.

Or if not, Sheldon Brown explains an alternative cable routing

Mixing Brands of Shifters, Rear Derailers and Cassettes

which has the effect of making the derailleur move *slightly* farther with each click. So I'm hoping 3.1 to 3.2 is slightly farther enough.

What do you think? Am I missing something? Does this sound like it will work? Has anyone done the same?

Pictures to follow.
Old 10-14-15, 04:57 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I think "cool."

Go for it, and welcome to the forum.
Old 10-15-15, 06:55 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I'd say give it a try. What's the worst that could happen? You're out $10 worth of cables?

Old 10-15-15, 07:26 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by billonmidwatch
What do you think? Am I missing something? Does this sound like it will work? Has anyone done the same?.
+1 go for it.

i havent done the same thing, but i have simular. the trek above is 8 speed shimano with 10 speed campy shifters, works like it was made for each other. soon i will be changing out the 8 speed shimano to 10 speed sram mtb group with the same shifters and it should work equally well.

im all for experimentation and "breaking the rules"

check this out also, kinda puts what will work with what in simpler terms with colored charts
Old 10-15-15, 08:54 AM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by billonmidwatch

the Shimano 6 shifters have a cable pull of 3.2 mm. The Sram (Exact Actuation) 10 Road/Mountain brifters have a cable pull of 3.1 mm. Which *might* be *close enough*.

Pictures to follow.
When doing your setup, do H & L limits first as usual -- then try adjusting your shifting starting at the center of the cluster (instead of the two highest gears as usual) -- this way the mismatch of 0.1mm doesn't end up cumulative as you move from one end of the cluster to the other, but only 2-3 steps in each direction. Not sure if I am explaining this well enough; coffee is not working yet.
Old 10-15-15, 11:49 AM
billonmidwatch
not a climber

Bikes: road bikes '85 Italian steel 2x6, '95 USA titanium 2x9, '00 folder 1x7, '07 Taiwan carbon 2x10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inkandsilver
When doing your setup, do H & L limits first as usual -- then try adjusting your shifting starting at the center of the cluster (instead of the two highest gears as usual) -- this way the mismatch of 0.1mm doesn't end up cumulative as you move from one end of the cluster to the other, but only 2-3 steps in each direction. Not sure if I am explaining this well enough; coffee is not working yet.
Got ya. Good point, thanks.
Old 10-15-15, 02:01 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Old 10-16-15, 04:51 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by sloar
Paint the flutes on the seatpost black or red.
Or ship the bike to me, and I'll do it.
Really. Trust me.
Old 10-16-15, 06:44 AM
tamaso206
keep it simple.

Bikes: Univega Superstrada modern build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One-tenth of one millimeter is really not much... That combined with the HUGE fudge-factor that 6 speed spacing allows (vs. 10 or 11spd) leads me to think it will work just fine, just get your limit-screws correct.
Old 10-16-15, 07:25 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Paint the flutes on the seatpost black or red.
Or ship the bike to me, and I'll do it.
Really. Trust me.
That's really nice of you to offer to paint the flutes for me Rob.
Old 10-16-15, 02:13 PM
jordnara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leegf
I'm a fellow Pug owner/lover and I really, really like what you've done to this bike Based on your use of the word "sportive", I am going to guess you are somewhere in the UK?
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The bike lives in Sweden. This tread was a good guide when putting the bike together and I have had a brilliant time riding it since. Trying to clock as many miles as possible before the winter hits us here. Alll the best.
Old 10-16-15, 02:48 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by sloar
That's really nice of you to offer to paint the flutes for me Rob.
Any time. I see you're running those underrated tires. Good all-around tire for the price.
I still use the beaded ones when I find them on sale.
Old 10-20-15, 10:54 AM
neologism

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neologism
1985 (?) Nishiki Prestige

Well. I liked the conversion so much I decided to go all out. Moved the microshift drivetrain (great shiftin by the way!) to A Schwinn Traveler that I think i pretty much stole from craigslist ($80). Then got new wheels (November hubs with pacenti sl23 v2 rims), Athena 11 groupset, and compact handlebar (soma hwy1). damn happy.

They are clearly set up differently. the Traveler is my commuter. nice upright position, comfy with good sight lines. the Nishiki is nice and streched out which i love when im riding out by myself.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20151020-IMG_3903.jpg (97.6 KB, 781 views)
20151020-IMG_3910.jpg (100.5 KB, 784 views)

Last edited by neologism; 10-20-15 at 10:59 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-20-15, 11:08 AM
neologism

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By the way, LOVE this one!
Old 10-20-15, 11:23 AM
safepants

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is a 1988 version of a Norco Monterey. About 63cm.
I bought as a frame from the local co-op. I had to cut the crown race down from 27mm to 26.4mm to fit a headset I had available to me at the time. Also had to stretch rear spacing to 130mm to fit a modern wheel. Yay steel!
Installed 11 speed Shimano 105 5800 series STI's, front and rear derailleurs, chain and cassette. The FSA Gossamer compact crankset and MegaExo bottom bracket were from the co-op (price tag needs to be peeled off still). Long reach Tektro R559 brakes. Ritchey Comp 46cm bars.
Mavic Aksium Race wheelset also from the co-op, with some used tires for now. Schwalbe Landcruiser on the rear and Continental Twister on the front. I'm going to swap the pedals soon to my Shimano XT Trekking SPD pedals.

The frame was so large I didn't have to trim any of the shifter housing. I mistakenly installed the front shifter cable in the rear STI and it was about 6 inches too short, but realized I had the two mixed up and rear cable fit just fine.

Attached Images
001.jpg (101.7 KB, 192 views)
001 (2).jpg (100.1 KB, 191 views)
001 (1).jpg (101.8 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by safepants; 10-20-15 at 11:29 AM. Reason: better photos
Old 10-20-15, 12:32 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
@neologism and @safepants Great builds guys! I do have a question for you since I am finishing my upgrade to an 11 speed 5800 Shimano groupset. My 130 wheelset fits perfectly in the dropouts with a little manual spreading and slight dish adjustment. I did not think to check to see if the dropouts need realignment though. Did you have any issues with dropout alignment that you had to resolve? If so I should probably go back and check this out. Once again NICE!
Old 10-20-15, 12:42 PM
neologism

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
@neologism and @safepants Great builds guys! I do have a question for you since I am finishing my upgrade to an 11 speed 5800 Shimano groupset. My 130 wheelset fits perfectly in the dropouts with a little manual spreading and slight dish adjustment. I did not think to check to see if the dropouts need realignment though. Did you have any issues with dropout alignment that you had to resolve? If so I should probably go back and check this out. Once again NICE!

Well, I cold set the Nishiki to 130, and due to a prior mishap involving a poorly set limit screws, a rear mech, and some spokes....my derailleur hanger was pretty out of alignment. So when I cold set the frame and aligned the hanger, I want ahead and realigned the drop outs. shifting is very crisp and honestly doesn't miss a shift. Now on the other hand on the Schwinn I just shoved the wheel in and didn't even check to make sure the hanger was aligned...shifts perfectly. To be fair the 11 speed campy is pretty touchy to set up so I knew I had to go the extra mile with it to get it to work.

In My opinion you wont go wrong doing it the right way the first time. you may get lucky and realigning everything would be overkill....but on the other hand why bother to find out?
Old 10-20-15, 01:12 PM
safepants

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
Thanks It's a fun ride.
I used the Park Tool dropout alignment tool at the co-op too. I did have to realign mine, and also used the derailleur hanger alignment tool to fix that up too. My low limit needs an adjustment as I get slight skipping in the 32 cog so I might have to check the hanger alignment again.
Frame and Fork End Alignment Gauge Set - Park Tool
Old 10-21-15, 04:48 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

This thread is my first "go to" every time. Welcome new folks, and by the look of it, everyone's "first one" is well done.
Old 10-22-15, 04:04 PM
armstrong101

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TickDoc
It's pink/red depending on the light and fades to black on top and bottom. Apparently from the Ciocc custom paint shop, not a one-off, but definitely not standard.
Another view before she was sorted out:

Thanks for the comments.
Just a quick Q. I am surprised this has a Cromor tubing sticker. Is it just me, or wouldn't a San Cristobal with full chrome be built with SL? My "entry-level" unknown model Ciocc has SL, and San Cristobal is supposed to be their highest end frame.
Old 10-23-15, 03:48 AM
Paulfs67

Bikes: Trek Modone 6.5 (08), 1930's Healing, 1994 Ritchey Road Logic, Kuwuhara T/T early 90's, Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert 1992,

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Made a few changes to my 94 Ritchey since I last posted it
[IMG][/IMG]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.