Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Completed ZX3 group buy bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Completed ZX3 group buy bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 12:35 AM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AimHigh,

Could you aim to a higher resolution image? If I squint, I *think* I see a bicycle in that attachment.
There are bike p0rn mouths to feed, act quick. Aim higher.
Old 11-07-07, 02:09 AM
AimHigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love too but Im kinda a newbie at that sort of stuff, how do I upload a higher res pic when the limit is 100kb?
Old 11-07-07, 04:16 AM
c4s6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AimHigh
I would love too but Im kinda a newbie at that sort of stuff, how do I upload a higher res pic when the limit is 100kb?
Google PicSizer, download it and use it to resize to a .jpg. My pics are 92 kB reduced from 1.3 MB using PicSizer.
Old 11-07-07, 08:57 AM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AimHigh
The other option is to use a free image hosting service, where your picture can remain in its original format.

Imageshack is popular with a lot of folks around here (though I can't stand their bandwidth restrictions). I like Flickr from the folks at Yahoo, and still others use Picasa, which is Google's entry into the fray.

Any of these services allow you to upload the larger-format photos and display them in their higher-resolution glory here at BikeForums.
Old 11-07-07, 11:20 AM
rruff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by c4s6
Google PicSizer, download it and use it to resize to a .jpg. My pics are 92 kB reduced from 1.3 MB using PicSizer.
Or use Irfanview.
Old 11-07-07, 04:12 PM
JPradun
Pokes On Spokes

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics coming shortly after I finish the FD and wiring. I didn't know that I had to buy a 34.9mm FD clamp..I thought it came with the bike. Ugh.
Old 11-07-07, 05:42 PM
toronto-rider

Bikes: Giant TCR, Cdale F1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
post deleted

Last edited by toronto-rider; 11-07-07 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-07-07, 06:00 PM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPradun
Pics coming shortly after I finish the FD and wiring. I didn't know that I had to buy a 34.9mm FD clamp..I thought it came with the bike. Ugh.
This was, and is, in the specifications for the frame - should not have come as a surprise to you.
Old 11-08-07, 08:41 AM
JPradun
Pokes On Spokes

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never built a bike before, so excuse me for thinking that someone would include a cheap $15 part with one of my (few) $1000+ orders...

I'm not blaming them; I just didn't realize it.
Old 11-08-07, 10:20 AM
rruff

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPradun
I've never built a bike before, so excuse me for thinking that someone would include a cheap $15 part with one of my (few) $1000+ orders...
Sure sounds like blame. If your derailleur had an integral clamp then it would be useless... and anyway it is a common size which many people already have and would just move with their present derailleur, or purchase with their new one. It is a derailleur part, not a frame part.
Old 11-08-07, 11:04 AM
sjumper
Ba Ba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A preview.

Got the shipment yesterday afternoon. Spent 2-3 hours on it so far.
Final weight is going to be around 17lbs. The frame weigh more than I'd hoped and as we all know, FSA cheats on their listed weights. The seatpost is very heavy.

Hope to have it all done soon and get in a ride this weekend.

The tires are old GP3000. Ordered black GP4000 with the frame but PF don't have them. Trying to go with a black theme with red.

Edit: Added another picture. Almost there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0473_small.jpg (85.9 KB, 253 views)
IMG_0475_small.jpg (79.8 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by sjumper; 11-09-07 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-08-07, 08:34 PM
Dynamic
San Diego, California

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
everyone has great looking bikes so far. great job guys, i think this frame looks fantastic and your part selections are only adding to the good looks
Old 11-08-07, 09:55 PM
rruff

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just got my frame today... thanks UTmtnbiker! It's a 55 and weighs 1112g (2.45 lbs) and the PF fork weighs 440g uncut. I originally thought I'd sell the ID14-S because it appeared to have a high axle to crown length, but my measurements indicate 366mm... which is about as short as you can get. Most forks are around 370mm and some are 375mm. The longer lengths reduce the head angle even further and I didn't want that. The 72.5 degree head angle is based on a 366 axle-crown length according to the PF site. I thought these were supposed to have a 45mm offset but the tag says "OF 43".
Old 11-08-07, 11:45 PM
Strong Bad
ride lots

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rruff
Just got my frame today... thanks UTmtnbiker! It's a 55 and weighs 1112g (2.45 lbs) and the PF fork weighs 440g uncut. I originally thought I'd sell the ID14-S because it appeared to have a high axle to crown length, but my measurements indicate 366mm... which is about as short as you can get. Most forks are around 370mm and some are 375mm. The longer lengths reduce the head angle even further and I didn't want that. The 72.5 degree head angle is based on a 366 axle-crown length according to the PF site. I thought these were supposed to have a 45mm offset but the tag says "OF 43".
So build it, take pictures, ride, and post results.
Old 11-09-07, 10:05 AM
shabbasuraj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjumper
A preview.

Got the shipment yesterday afternoon. Spent 2-3 hours on it so far.
Final weight is going to be around 17lbs. The frame weigh more than I'd hoped and as we all know, FSA cheats on their listed weights. The seatpost is very heavy.

Hope to have it all done soon and get in a ride this weekend.

The tires are old GP3000. Ordered black GP4000 with the frame but PF don't have them. Trying to go with a black theme with red.

Edit: Added another picture. Almost there.

Those Blue Tyres ruin it for me...
Old 11-09-07, 10:12 AM
sjumper
Ba Ba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
Those Blue Tyres ruin it for me...
I agree 100% but they might have to do until spring. Maybe I'll photoshop the pictures before posting.
Old 11-09-07, 11:35 AM
UTmtnbiker
Master of the Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, rruff, definitely show pics. Wasn't looking to sell, but a Colnago with my name on it happened to ambush me at the LBS. Hope you put many, many miles on it.
Old 11-09-07, 03:58 PM
bo00on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine finally arrived this week and got it built yesterday. took it out for a ride this morning. the ride is slightly harsher than the RS but get off the saddle and this bike takes off. handling is good but felt a bit more twitchy than the RS (not a bad thing - makes sharp cornering a lot more fun). don't really know why since i'm running the same fork and the geometry of both bikes are the same. i'm also running the same stem length and handle bar with.

the only problem i am having at the moment is the front derailleur (Campy Centaur 07) throwing the chain off the big ring if i'm not careful with the length of the shifter paddle stroke. anyone care to shed some light on how to resolve this problem?

anyway, here are a couple of pics of the bike.
Attached Images
PF_ZX3-08_0001_sm.jpg (79.0 KB, 151 views)
PF_ZX3-08_0020_sm.jpg (91.7 KB, 271 views)
Old 11-09-07, 04:25 PM
c4s6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bo00on
...the only problem i am having at the moment is the front derailleur (Campy Centaur 07) throwing the chain off the big ring if i'm not careful with the length of the shifter paddle stroke. anyone care to shed some light on how to resolve this problem?...
There are two little Phillips head screws on the body of the FD. The lower one is the end of stroke. You'll need to tighten it until the FD almost touches the chain with the chain on your big chainring and your smallest cog in back (i.e., 11 or 12) with the FD shifted all the way toward the biggest chainring. You'll probably to then shift to the small chainring (all the way over) and tighten your shift cable. Should take 2 minutes once you get it in the bikestand.
Old 11-09-07, 07:31 PM
bo00on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c4s6
There are two little Phillips head screws on the body of the FD. The lower one is the end of stroke. You'll need to tighten it until the FD almost touches the chain with the chain on your big chainring and your smallest cog in back (i.e., 11 or 12) with the FD shifted all the way toward the biggest chainring. You'll probably to then shift to the small chainring (all the way over) and tighten your shift cable. Should take 2 minutes once you get it in the bikestand.
awesome. will give it shot later. cheers.
Old 11-09-07, 07:54 PM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome. will give it shot later. cheers.
No. No delay. DO IT NOW. Tempus fugit. NOW NOW NOW!!
Old 11-09-07, 08:53 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the midst of building the ZX3 this weekend (I've been home sick for the past two days, so bike building beats the in-house alternatives).

Right now, I'm a few steps past this:

I'm gonna have the LBS do the chop on the fork, but it's coming together nicely.
Old 11-09-07, 11:40 PM
billonmidwatch
not a climber

Bikes: road bikes '85 Italian steel 2x6, '95 USA titanium 2x9, '00 folder 1x7, '07 Taiwan carbon 2x10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my build, ready to go. First long ride tomorrow.
Easton EC90 SLX fork and bars, Ritchey WCS stem, Vuelta Team SL wheels, Speedplay Ti pedals,
Cane Creek 200sl brakes (lighter than SRAM), SRAM Force drivetrain
~15.2 lbs ~$2700

Oh, yeah, I too created matter. Post assembly combined weight is more than sum of the parts!

Not too worry, it's still 3 lbs less than my Ti, and 6 lbs less than my steel bike.
Attached Images
bike249031.jpg (39.1 KB, 197 views)
bike249032.jpg (37.1 KB, 98 views)
bike249033.jpg (35.3 KB, 70 views)
bike249049.jpg (40.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-10-07, 12:18 AM
rruff

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
handling is good but felt a bit more twitchy than the RS (not a bad thing - makes sharp cornering a lot more fun). don't really know why since i'm running the same fork and the geometry of both bikes are the same.
What fork are you running? Looks like the ID14-S without the sticker...
Old 11-10-07, 06:57 AM
ezee

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
What you want to hear I doubt you'll ever find here. Trying to compare something so subjective as a bike's "feel" from one to another all with many different components is ridiculous at best. I seriously doubt 99% of the people in this forum can truly "feel" the difference in compliance or stiffness between a fork or another, wheels, bottom bracket vs seat stays/chain stay, etc. Placebo effect is what you'll find mostly but not the objective data you are looking for.

I think we all spend too much time over analizing minutia and loose track of the main objective here: you still have to pedal the darn thing!!!

If it makes you feel any better, the 8 lb steel bike I rode prior to this one was very much of a racing bike and plenty stiff. The placebo effect of spending a couple of grand in this new bike with the wheels and components tell me that it "feels" stiffer and faster despite me taking exactly the same amount of time today to do my regular 42 mile loop as it did on the steel bike
Agree. Likely 90-99% of any other cycling-related forumers won't either.

Objective, blinded testing methods, in "real-life" riding conditions, is pretty difficult to set-up & carry out.
Otoh, re. subjective opinions.... Now that's no problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.