Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Contador is................

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador is................

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 09:14 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by kleinboogie
AC screwed himself. If he can't be a team player then he shouldn't be on one.
Not a team player? Clearly he was foillowing Lance's instructions to let the race sort out who should be the team leader, as well as Lance's instructions to give no gifts.

Last edited by cooker; 07-13-09 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-12-09, 10:00 PM
spudlauncher
Granpoobah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the way Lance got all pissy because Contador "didn't follow the plan. I mean I wasn't surprised, I didn't think he would follow the plan."

You have to wonder why not. Did Armstrong go up to him before hand and say "Listen I know it's been your team since I left 4 years ago and that you win every Grand Tour that you enter AND that I'm ahead of you on GC and will take the yellow jersey by default. And that we all said publicly that you were the team leader before the Tour started and that I'm working for no money this year.....And that I have been training all year with this team while wearing my own Livestrong outfits and that I had 2 of your riders help me put time into you on stage 2 AND there are only 3 mountain finishes this year and this is one of them.

Just trust me, hang back and wait for the right time."

Please, this is Contadors time, he's making his own decisions because if he doesn't he'll be stabbed in the back so fast he won't even know it.

If Armstrong wants to do charity work he should go do that. If he wants to compete in the Tour de France he should go find a team that is his alone. He's always been a good tactician but this is just being a snake in the grass. I second what an earlier poster said, Riis and Vaughters would never have had Armstrong back.

I predict Contador will put serious time into everyone in the TT, win the Tour on Ventoux and then leave this team in disgust.
Old 07-12-09, 10:15 PM
billonmidwatch
not a climber

Bikes: road bikes '85 Italian steel 2x6, '95 USA titanium 2x9, '00 folder 1x7, '07 Taiwan carbon 2x10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag
I just think the Cadillac chic is hot.
+1 What's her name? Has anyone found anything on her? Mr Skin?
Old 07-12-09, 10:26 PM
austinspinner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This woman was recently seen boarding a plane to France carrying a livestrong bag.

No doubt the bag contained a trek made OCLV carbon fiber bat to elude the metal detectors. Watch out Contador... you will not make it to the Ventoux.
Old 07-12-09, 10:47 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"she looks like she ate nancy kerrigan."

-- oddsnark
Old 07-12-09, 11:08 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
You're forgetting one thing. Hinault crashed AFTER Lemond had built up a huge lead when he was on the attack. Lemond was virtually in yellow and was told to slow down before Hinault even crashed.
Again, Hinault was the team leader of La Vie Claire in 1985 and Lemond knew that he was going to The Tour to ride in support of him. Hinault was chosen to win his 5th by the team and that's simply the way it was going to be. Everyone on the team knew it, including Lemond...he just thought he might be able to change some minds. French team, french leader...that's just the way it was.

Comparing that team to Astana in this tour is simply apples and oranges.
Old 07-12-09, 11:25 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by gravityslip
I am not worried about Alberto being shunned by his Astana teammates. His future team will be helping him in the coming days.
Interesting point of view. That sort of thing certainly happened in the good old days, before white shorts and black socks, as when Renault-Elf would just ride to keep Sean Kelly off the podium in the classics.

What's also interesting is how this debate reveals our personalities--the authoritarians vs. the iconoclasts.
Old 07-12-09, 11:46 PM
meb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by markwebb
Actually, PC, WWF wrestling was sued by the Wildlife Fed a few years ago and the wrestling org had to relinquish using WWF. The wildlife org won. I think they changed wrestling to WWE or something.

Your info is dated.

But you should remember what happened to LeMond before he won his first TdF, which is what could happen to Contador this year.
Per the settlement, WWE is still permitted to use WWF domestically, just not overseas.
Old 07-13-09, 12:22 AM
bitterspeak
Cat 7 Pro

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This kind of drama is why I got tired of watching Formula 1.

In any case, if team orders ensue and it's blatantly obvious, the French are going to have a field day with Lance. I wonder how badly it would destroy his credibility.
Old 07-13-09, 12:23 AM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a clip after stage three from a Agritubel or AG2R rider saying that the stage 3 break happened right in front of Contador. If he watched Armstrong ride away he and JB are astute tacticians. They knew that any gain on a flat stage can easily be closed in the mountains and it was, on the first mountain stage, in 10km. With Contador not chasing the break, all the other contenders were neutralized, leaving Astana in complete control prior to the ttt. Armstrong vs Contador may very well be an act. It gets great press and no one knows who to chase down. CSC did the same thing last year with Frank Schleck in yellow while Sastre rode away.

Winning with panache is pretty much winning when already wearing the leader's jersey. Contador can do that on pretty much any mountain stage when he wants.

Armstong won't take enough if any out of him in the ITT and Contador is going to ride everyone off his wheel on Ventoux. Armstrong knows this but I think he likes being the peloton alpha dog way too much. From Lance's past history, is there really any likelihood that anything on Astana including the leadership has been left to chance?

If I had made JB as wealthy as Lance has, I would be riding the TDF this year too. It won't change the winner though.
Old 07-13-09, 12:24 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Contador is............... the stronger rider.
Old 07-13-09, 01:00 AM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bitterspeak
This kind of drama is why I got tired of watching Formula 1.
I stopped watching when they ****ed the cars up.
Old 07-13-09, 01:22 AM
Reid Rothchild
Banned

Bikes: LeMond tete de course, Cinelli, Calfee, Crumpton, Richard Sachs, Kirk, Bob Jackson, many more except for Treks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin

Yes, you are correct that Hinault went back on his promise but Lemond still won the race so in the end, he never REALLY got screwed.
Originally Posted by Reid Rothchild
Yes, but not for Hinault's lack of trying. That's how obviously superior LeMond was to Hinault in '86.

The same scenario is playing out exactly right now. When Contador wins, LA will say that he took AC under his wing and taught him how to race or win with panache, or some other such bs.
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
No, we were talking about 1985, not 1986. Lemond clearly was the stronger climber than Hinault in both years. We aren't even talking about putting a couple minutes on Hinault, more like 10 minutes. If Lemond would've stayed on the attack instead of being forced by the team director to slow down , there is no way that Hinault would have 5 tour wins. Absolutely no way.
I was responding to the top quote about Hinault going back on the promise he made in '85 and attacking in '86.

BTW, you're correct in your assessment of '85.