Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever ridden the NC outer banks?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 11:13 AM
xxsoultonesxx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are currently in Wilmington, and heading in the direction of the outer banks in NC. I'm guessing it is going to be pretty windy. We are going northbound towards Virginia. Anything we should know? How are the bike lanes/shoulders? I'm pretty excited about the ferry rides. Anyway, so far the tour out of Savannah has been awesome. Got caught in a nasty storm outside of Andrews, SC (Stay out of that town) and my tent proved its worth (North Face Rock 22) and kept us dry.
Old 07-02-08, 11:20 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Here's a thread from another forum that talks about a tour of the Outer Banks. It includes a short, proposed route and generated a few experienced comments: https://www.cyclingforums.com/t447722.html

Here's a thread from this forum about bike touring in North Carolina where the Outer Banks is one of the proposed options: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=391458

Ray
Old 07-02-08, 11:27 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's one trip report:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/outerbanks2007

There are shoulders along most of the route and bicycle lanes in some of the towns. The wind usually comes from the southwest which is very nice for north bound riding.
Old 07-02-08, 12:06 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Kity Hawk area is basically like Myrtle Beach, tacky, tacky, tacky. Its so sad to see such an historic area so commercialized. If you are going all the way to VA, be sure to take the ferry back out to Knotts Island. It is more undeveloped, and worth the side trip. It is just below Virginia Beach which of course is very commercialized.
Old 07-02-08, 12:15 PM
l3ica

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I took the adventure cycling route through the outer banks about a month ago. All in all I wasn't too impressed. You can find my posts in my blog in my sig, but It was pretty much completely flat riding with horrible winds. Most of the time you are on pretty much empty roads, but the dunes prevent you from seeing much of the ocean as you ride. Also, depending on what kind of touring you are doing, lodging is not great. Super overpriced motels and the most mosquito infested and again overpriced campgrounds. The locals for the most part, however, were pretty nice and there were a couple nice spots. The ferries aren't much to speak of either, but Im not a ferry lover.
Old 07-02-08, 12:42 PM
eric von zipper

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Thorn Sherpa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xxsoultonesxx, you wouldn't happen to be one of the guys I talked to today in Wilmington, would you? If so, l3ica is the guy I told you about that recently cycled through the outer banks and went to Banaroo. And, hey l3ica hope things are going well with your trip.
Old 07-02-08, 07:51 PM
billonmidwatch
not a climber

Bikes: road bikes '85 Italian steel 2x6, '95 USA titanium 2x9, '00 folder 1x7, '07 Taiwan carbon 2x10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The most important thing you need to know is to not miss Eastern North Carolina barbeque. Smoked, chopped pork in vinegar and pepper sauce. Mmmm, yum!

There are many, many places to get it. Smithfield's, local chain, is a good example. Their coastal locations include Jacksonville, Morehead City, Havelock, and New Bern.
Old 07-07-08, 07:44 AM
xxsoultonesxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eric von zipper
xxsoultonesxx, you wouldn't happen to be one of the guys I talked to today in Wilmington, would you? If so, l3ica is the guy I told you about that recently cycled through the outer banks and went to Banaroo. And, hey l3ica hope things are going well with your trip.
thats me... right now we are right outside of kitty hawk at a coffee shop. we should be in virginia in about 2 days. so far so good! everything out here is entirely too expensive, as someone said, but we've been doing alright, and the winds have all been tailwinds for us, since we are headed north. we passed a guy on his way to florida two days ago, and met four girls who were heading the other way fresh off the cedar island ferry.