Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What the Hell with the blow darts?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 02:06 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've read a few threads in the past, and even a couple of articles in random papers, but tonight (1:00 a.m.) it happened to me. WTF, man? I wasn't hit, but the dart whizzed by my face. The adrenaline fueled the balance of the ride home.

In case any of you local to Colorado Springs are reading, be careful out there. It was a silver/grey Acura, happened too quickly to get plates. Police are aware.
Old 05-11-10, 05:28 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hope they catch the guy.

Blow-darts are new to me, but I've been shot with a pellet gun by a passenger in a truck.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-11-10, 07:28 AM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Blow-darts are new to me, but I've been shot with a pellet gun by a passenger in a truck.
Pellet guns seem to be the weapon of choice for these idiots in the Chicago area too. I know one person who was shot with one and another person who's son was shot. You know I have always enjoyed shooting and years ago I switched from normal firearms to pellet guns because the challenge is the same and the power and expense of a firearm is wasted when all you are doing is punching holes in paper targets. I thought I was doing the world a favor by not owning firearms I didn't need and now idiots like this have spawned a national movement to ban pellet guns entirely. Human beings are so stupid, how on Earth did we ever become the dominant species?

Ken
Old 05-11-10, 07:40 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khutch
Pellet guns seem to be the weapon of choice for these idiots in the Chicago area too. I know one person who was shot with one and another person who's son was shot. You know I have always enjoyed shooting and years ago I switched from normal firearms to pellet guns because the challenge is the same and the power and expense of a firearm is wasted when all you are doing is punching holes in paper targets. I thought I was doing the world a favor by not owning firearms I didn't need and now idiots like this have spawned a national movement to ban pellet guns entirely. Human beings are so stupid, how on Earth did we ever become the dominant species?

Ken
Exacly... I have wondered the same thing many times.
Old 05-11-10, 07:44 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, this is an all new low for America. Kids shooting cyclists because they can't defend themselves and they think it is funny.

I can only hope that when the police catch these guys, they drop the hammer on them HARD and publish it in the news. If they made a news spot on the nightly news, so that other motorists (who have ability to give chase & alert the cops of the location) are aware, that would do more good than alerting us.
Old 05-11-10, 07:46 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I weep for the future. Seems every day there's a clear indication that society is swirling down the toilet. I consider myself hyper-vigilant. Yesterday I was almost hit by a speeding motorist coming around a blind corner, and then the blow dart. No matter how careful I am, the rate at which others become more dangerous balances it out.

EDIT: Jeremy, that is precisely why I called the cops even though it was 20 minutes later. I think I'll call the news as well - couldn't hurt.
Old 05-11-10, 08:21 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I am getting a jersey with "GLOCK" and "40S&W" on the back.

If society wants to collapse that is fine but I am not going along for the ride. I find the possibility of return fire is a great deterrent as is the funny hump on my back which is clearly visible.
Old 05-11-10, 08:27 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
These idiots are SHOOTING at you! The answer seems obvious to me. Get a gun (a real gun) and shoot back.... anything in 9mm semi-auto or bigger, with a high capacity clip.

It will only take one mainstream news report featuring a cyclists sending one of these idiots to the morgue to let the rest know that there's real potential consequences for their actions.... Maybe even the bottle/trash/whatever throwers and road-ragers might start to think twice when they realize the cost of their stupidity might get them shot dead.

This might not go down well on a forum as liberal as this one, but you guys have the 2nd amendment on your side... if an armed society is a polite society and you want those cagers to be a little more polite then organize a few open-carry group rides. I bet that would be enough to open a few cager's eyes and maybe influence some attitudes.
Old 05-11-10, 08:33 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I am getting a jersey with "GLOCK" and "40S&W" on the back.

If society wants to collapse that is fine but I am not going along for the ride. I find the possibility of return fire is a great deterrent as is the funny hump on my back which is clearly visible.
See, that's what I'm talking about.... If I lived in the USA (or if open carry was legal here) I'd ride with a jersey that read across the back "That's a S&W 9mm, be polite" with an arrow pointing to my right hip, right where the holster is. Heck, I'm a clydesdale anyhow, I'd pack a nice shiny nickle plated D'eagle .50 with laser scope. Just the act of messing with me would be prima face evidence of mental instability.
Old 05-11-10, 08:44 AM
JeremyZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is well and fine to fantasize about returning fire. But it would make matters worse:

1) We're only allowed to use guns for self defense. If the guy had already shot at me and was driving away as I shot back, I'm not using it in self defense any more. Not only would I have a pellet (or blow dart) in my body, but I'd go to jail too. Nice!

2) Shooting someone with a firearm after being being hit with a dart or pellet is not self defense either.

3) This is something a lot of folks don't think about, but we gun owners do: What happens to the bullet if we miss, or when it continues on through the first few things it hits? Wouldn't you feel bad if you hit someone else down the road after trying to shoot someone who hit you with a pellet?

If you want to retaliate, the best thing to do is get the helmet cam, get the plate, call the police, and have your revenge with the assistance of a lawyer. That is how we fight nowadays, and it can be much more painful than a pellet in the butt.

The thing that scares me is the idea that I could be killled or crippled if a pellet or dart hit me in the spine, neck, eye, etc.
Old 05-11-10, 08:50 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Jeremy, if you don't mind saying, do you open carry on the bike?
Old 05-11-10, 08:53 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Ive read of it before in California. Not funny. It would be assault with a deadly weapon.. WTF.. Did we get a boat load of tribesmen from jungle somewhere.. Or just today's urban life. Keep us updated Todd.. Where did this happen. In the city, suburbs, where. A place you normally feel safe or not. ?

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 05-11-10, 09:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
There have been dart or blow gun "pranks" in Seattle, too, around Ballard. A cyclist friend was telling me someone on a bike was hit by a tranquilizer gun, and I'm guessing that's the rumor mill.

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Did we get a boat load of tribesmen from jungle somewhere.. Or just today's urban life.
It's an urban jungle, and the lions have been replaced by knuckle-dragging troglodytes. ( No offense to the chimpanzees! )
Old 05-11-10, 09:44 AM
undisputed83

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M-1, 1991 Raleigh Technium (Commuter)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had someone throw a McDonalds bag full of trash at me while cruising at a speed of 27-28mph... I was going down a long gradual hill... and I see it go by the front of my face in what seemed like slow motion. They wasn't smart because there was a light a little ways ahead... but they lucked out when it went green when I was 60-70 feet from their vehicle.

I have this problem where I go into a rage when something like that happens. Especially if it's out of disrespect. There was a good chance somebody was going to get hurt had that light stayed red for another eight seconds.
Old 05-11-10, 09:56 AM
JeremyZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
Jeremy, if you don't mind saying, do you open carry on the bike?
No, I don't carry at all. In their infinite wisdom, our state legislature has made it illegal to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights in Illinois. (either open or concealed carry) >
Old 05-11-10, 10:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
want those cagers to be a little more polite then organize a few open-carry group rides. I bet that would be enough to open a few cager's eyes and maybe influence some attitudes.
There's currently one going on in Michigan.

I don't think it will make drivers much more polite, though. First, because they know you aren't actually going to shoot them just because they passed you in an unsafe manner. ( I'm thinking about the every day problems we face as cyclists, not the dart gun people most of us will never run into. ) And second, I don't think most drivers even realize how stupid and dangerous much of their behavior is in the first place. Still, part of me wants to see it happen in areas where there's more antagonism between drivers and cyclists, and hopes I'm wrong.
Old 05-11-10, 10:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

Ken
Originally Posted by xtrajack
Exacly... I have wondered the same thing many times.
That should read "CERTAIN human beings are so stupid... "

The fact is that there is a bell curve, and some fall on one side, and some on the other side. Fortunately, those that fall on the "dumb side" are often victims of the Darwin theory. Unfortunately, some don't.
Old 05-11-10, 10:26 AM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Human beings are so stupid, how on Earth did we ever become the dominant species?
I miss the dinosaurs.
Old 05-11-10, 10:31 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
I miss the dinosaurs.

Too bad they didn't have bicycles.
Old 05-11-10, 10:44 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not to encourage this kind of thing, but just curious ... could someone fire off a handgun, say, a .38, while riding a bike, and remain upright and traveling in a straight line?
Old 05-11-10, 10:48 AM
gholt

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the movies make this look too easy. Firing a handgun at a target with both hands and staying steady takes some practice. I don't think this would be too easy on a bike especially afte the gun kicks.
Old 05-11-10, 10:56 AM
JeremyZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
Not to encourage this kind of thing, but just curious ... could someone fire off a handgun, say, a .38, while riding a bike, and remain upright and traveling in a straight line?
It would not be a problem, one-handed. Even two-handed would be doable.
Old 05-11-10, 11:09 AM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyZ
Wow, this is an all new low for America. Kids shooting cyclists because they can't defend themselves and they think it is funny.
It is not just cyclists who are the targets. The two individuals I know of who were hit were boarding buses at the time they were hit. This stupidity does not discriminate against cyclists, just intelligence and civility.

The more I read of human history the less I am willing to admit to any exceptions to the implausibility of our species' world domination.

There is no need to miss the dinosaurs, they are alive and well and living among us. It is just that the only ones left have feathers and beaks! T-Rex is gone but then if you knew him would you really miss him?

Ken
Old 05-11-10, 12:14 PM
thorsteno
wannabe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about alligators and crocs khutch?

Toddorado, that is bad news. I hope to not meet the jerks. I'll be writing every silver acura plate number now.
Old 05-11-10, 12:34 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
quite simply, people suck. it's just an obscene thing to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.