Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is a good messenger bag/manpurse that will work well on and off my bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 06:01 PM
edj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to buy a messenger bag that will also work well off bike for just walking around doing errands and shopping. A good manpurse. I'm looking for something
  • 1500 to 2000 cubic inches capacity
  • with organization pockets for and easy access to water bottles, phone, wallet, keys etc.
  • doesn't necessarily have to be water proof but definitely should be water resistant. (I'm not sure I want a bag with a vinyl liner)
  • Very comfy shoulder strap with stabilizer strap
  • Weight of bag under 3 lbs.
  • Cost less than $250
I have read a lot of forum posts and based on that I'm considering PAC, Seagull, Chicago Wig, Blicksbags, Bailey, Mission Workshop and Tom Bihn. I also saw an Osprey Elroy at REI which looked possible for what I want. I like the look of Zugster but he doesn't seem to have anything available.
Any help in narrowing down my choices would be great.
Old 03-12-11, 06:23 PM
corprwhs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently decided to buy a messenger bag lug my stuff around work in (I'm a substitute teacher, so I'm not sure where I'll be on any given day and my possessions are necessarily on my person). I decided to go the classic and economical route by buying one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VEM5DU. For less than $20, you can't beat it. While not water proof, the canvas is quite heavy, and both side pockets will fit a fat 32 oz water bottle. The bag proper is divided into two pockets, a third internal pocket for a couple of your valuables, and a large main compartment. My only complain with this bag is that it falls short of the amount of structure I'd like. While working for the census last year, they issued us more structured nylon messenger bags that were awesome. Unfortunately, at the end of our mission, they also took them back.
Old 03-12-11, 07:02 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Why a mess bag and not a backpack? Of course, you could go with a hybrid...
Old 03-12-11, 07:15 PM
Totaled108
Truck Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though I have a Timbuk2 mess bag that I bought used from an ex-bike messenger, I'm going to suggest the Chrome Classic mess bag. 2.5lbs, $140, 100% waterproof. My roommate luckily got one for free from a friend, and I have tossed it over my shoulder a few times, loaded. Its built to hold loads more evenly, without having to do extra moving around of stuff in the bag.

I'm used to my bag and it is serving me well, it has been on crazy rainy, hour plus long commutes with no water intrusion at all, and comfortable when loaded right.

Research, then buy it for less on craigslist.
Old 03-12-11, 07:15 PM
edj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Why a mess bag and not a backpack? Of course, you could go with a hybrid...
I want a messenger for easy access to the contents without having to take the bag off my back.
Thank for the suggestion about the hybrid. That looks like a really nice versatile bag and I'm thinking about it.
Old 03-13-11, 06:55 PM
relyt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chrome, Timbuk2, Rickshaw Bagworks, and Tom Bihn are all good brands and sell what you want.
Old 03-13-11, 07:15 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chrome is made for one particular shoulder only, so no switching, if that matters. And by the way, 2000 cubic inches is a mighty big purse.

You could look at www.ortlieb.com.
Old 03-13-11, 07:24 PM
monopenagos

Bikes: GT Aggressor 1996

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received a couple of weeks ago the timbuk2 Freestyle Netbook Messenger https://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...book-messenger and I am very glad that I bought it. Works vety well for tablets, notebooks or just a small messenger bag. Not expensive either. Nice variety of colors, nice inner space, nice on your back.
Old 03-13-11, 09:22 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
the more I use my huge old timbuk2, the more broken in it is, and the better it carries loads. I've never used a stabilizer strap and I do some pretty hard riding with it.

I'm tall, so maybe that makes a difference???

I put it in the laundry every few months.
Old 03-13-11, 10:29 PM
Krow

Bikes: Giant Lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Tom Bihn. All the bags are really well thought out and made in the USA. I have 5 different pieces, including a great huge messenger bag (https://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0825).
Old 03-13-11, 10:38 PM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
i just recently bought a sealline messenger bag - totally waterproof. they have a couple sizes depending on how much you want to carry - 16 litre and a 23 litre version. although might be on the small side of what the OP requires.

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302699955
Old 03-13-11, 11:19 PM
o0adam0o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chrome or Timbuk2 is the way to go IMO. I dont like how backpacks feel.. i prefer messenger bags.. i own a Timbuk2 myself.
Old 03-13-11, 11:47 PM
itsthewoo

Bikes: Trek SU100, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Timbuk2 bag that was pretty well-priced and has served me well (2+ years). I'm not a huge fan of the way they did the organization pockets, but I've gotten used to it now.

However, if you can afford it, go with the Chrome. They look and feel nicer.
Old 03-14-11, 12:12 AM
edj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krow
+1 for Tom Bihn. All the bags are really well thought out and made in the USA. I have 5 different pieces, including a great huge messenger bag (https://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0825).
Do you have the Super Ego bag? I like all the organization the bag has, but the bag looks a bit bulky in design compared to other more standard design messenger bags. I'd like a bag that when it just has my essentials - wallet checkbook water bottle keys etc that it will compress and not be bulky.
Old 03-14-11, 12:19 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Timbuk II is a good man purse but I absolutely hate them for riding. I love my Chrome and use it for pretty much everything on and off the bike. Yes, they compress and hug your back when there isnt a lot in them. Try the backdoor sale https://www.chromebagsstore.com/backdoor-sale.html
Old 03-14-11, 11:15 AM
edj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to go a try out a Chrome at a local bike shop. Everyone who has one seems to like them. The look of them in pictures doesn't grab me but it's time for a hands on try out. Thanks for the help
Old 03-14-11, 01:15 PM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For both on and off the bike, I would suggest trying out a Baileyworks Courier 253. Had a Timbuk2 but it did not work very well on the bike - it was always sliding off . Had a bunch of Chrome bags (Metro, Kremlin, Mini-metro) and they fit the best on the bike but kind of suck for walking around - can't wear it off one shoulder.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 03-14-11, 02:12 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
When people say manpurse I always envision a guy with baggy pants and a fanny pack:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images.jpg (12.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-14-11, 03:50 PM
Top Gunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really boils down to what works best for YOU. I have a chrome, & love it for what it is. It's stylish, waterproof, comfortable, MADE for cycling, durable, big, etc. With all that said, if versatility in pockets are important to you, be mindful that Chrome msgr bags have one big pocket, two internal side sections for a water bottle, but the rest of the pockets are pretty flat. Once you put an ipod, OR a wallet, OR a phone, or something in there, it's full. It's my one hang-up about Chrome (and Timbuk2) bags. I really can't believe that they haven't designed them with more space in the organizer pockets. Also, bear in mind, the more you stuff in these bags, the less comfortable they become on the bike. I've switched to a pannier/messenger now, it hooks on a back rack, but has a strap so I can toss it over my shoulder when I leave the bike, but before I did that, I found that a backpack was more suitable for heavier loads. Just my experience.

Good luck, man.
Old 03-14-11, 06:09 PM
derekthelion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chrome Citizen .. nice size, and very functional
Old 03-14-11, 07:04 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Chrome Metropolis and a Bailey Works Super Pro. They're both great on the bike, but for walking around, the Bailey is much more comfortable. The Bailey also kills the Chrome in the organization/pockets dept. IMO, it's a better bag in general.
Old 03-15-11, 04:15 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Over the years I've swapped from mess bag to back pack, then back. Right now I have a Rickshaw Zero medium size mess bag, with a couple extra inside velcro pockets. It is a good size, rides well and carries fine - wasn't overly expensive and has worn well.
Old 03-15-11, 10:06 PM
ch9862

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairlessbill
Had a bunch of Chrome bags (Metro, Kremlin, Mini-metro) and they fit the best on the bike but kind of suck for walking around - can't wear it off one shoulder.
I have Metropolis, and walked around with it all winter - carrying it on one shoulder. It's not meant to be worn like this, but I had no problems as long as contents was light. When it was heavier I'd put it over my back - and it felt just as good or bad as a backpack. How is Baileyworks bag better? Not to sound contradictory - just curious.
Old 03-15-11, 10:33 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ch9862
...How is Baileyworks bag better? Not to sound contradictory - just curious.
I like it better for a few different reasons. First and foremost is there's more pockets and organization. I went from it to my Chrome and when I got it I was like "this is it?" I had to buy extra pouches to put my stuff in that would just fit in separate pockets in the Bailey Works. I like the stabilizer strap better on the Bailey too. It crosses over your torso from the lower back, while the Chrome just goes around under your armpit, which was fine for small loads, but for me, the bag still moved around when I had a heavy load, while the Bailey bag was stable with any size load.

BW has a better quality main strap. The Chrome strap feels cheap and thin, and because it's thin, mine has been twisted in the buckle a few times which always is a pain to get untwisted. The buckle part itself on the Chrome is cool though. The only other things that come to mind is, on the Chrome there's nowhere to put a light. I ended up sticking it on the bottom of the tie down strap and hooking it on with a rubber band. It works ok I guess, but the BW has a built in light mount and a big reflective strip (which some people might not like)

Don't get me wrong, the Chrome Metropolis is a nice bag. The quality of both bags is about equal IMO and with some adjustments in my packing style the Chrome worked fine for me, but in retrospect, I wish I would've just bought a bigger Bailey instead.. I just wanted to try something different. FYI, the reason I even bought the Chrome in the first place was because I wanted a bigger bag..

Of course it doesn't matter now since i've switched to a Mission Workshop Vandal backpack. Nearly 3 years of commuting with one strap has really messed up my neck and shoulder. I've been using the backpack for a week and can already tell a difference in shoulder pain level.
Old 03-15-11, 10:59 PM
edj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all the details about the BW. Definitely leaning that way now. I would also go for a backpack like the Vandal except a big part of how I will use the bag is as an everyday bag and I want something that is easier to access then a backpack and is made to be worn cross shoulder for when I'm walking around shopping etc.

I'm wondering if anyone can compare the Mission Workshop messenger or the Tom Bihn Ego or Super Ego to the BW?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.