Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

No love for Giant TCR Advanced SL Line?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

No love for Giant TCR Advanced SL Line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 11:25 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
I'll tell you straight up, you won't be able to get your avg speed over 20mph with that amount of training. I have no idea for how long you wanna average that speed but solo it's friggn hard go up to say low 20s and stay there over an hour even on the flats. Don't really discourage you, just set your expectations right.
This actually encourages me. Since I picked up cycling on Memorial Day this year after a sedentary entrance into middle-age, at the time I was struggling to stay at 12mph. After I picked up my SuperSix on the 4th of July, and then riding that regiment for five weeks, I've gotten up to that 17.5mph sustained for up to 60 minutes (x2, sustained that going back to the car too, actually a little faster but I think it was thanks to a light tailwind). I figured most riders here would have scoffed at my speed and rode 20mph or faster consistently. I'm not sure where I got that notion from, but if sustaining low 20s is considered hard, then I don't feel too bad at my progress.

Originally Posted by dalava
The best thing the OP could do for serious training is to get a power meter with the new bike (looks like the Giant TCR has one) and a HR strap, some some FTP test, and find a good power based training program (trainerroad is good source but it's subscription service), or simply read up on Coggan and figure out his own way of training with power. Average speed is meaningless in the overall scheme of things but it will be a byproduct of committed training.
If I get the TCR I'll definitely invest in that. When I said I ride every night 9-12 miles, I do try to mix it up. Most nights it's a familiar course, but with a lot of stoplights I try to sprint from light to light (and sprinting actually helps me avoid getting stopped by lights as often). When I'm feeling up to it, I tackle some pretty wicked hilly areas in my neighborhood to get my strength up, kind of trying to simulate HIIT. I've only started doing this recently so the results likely haven't begun to show.
Old 08-13-19, 01:10 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Okay, I have a friend of a friend story for you guys.

A guy I work with who doesn't race, but loves to rack up KOM's, has a friend who does race and he said his friend recently bought a high end BMC for $15,000AUD/$10,100USD and that his friend absolutely loves his BMC, so much so that he thought he should buy a "winter bike" for when it is raining.

So this guy goes out and buys a recent Giant TCR that cost him less than $5000AUD/$3,380USD and lo and behold, he breaks literally everyone of his personal records on this "winter bike" and now feels like a fool.

When I asked the guy I work with, "did your friend try out the TCR before he bought his BMC?", I was told that because the BMC felt great when he test rode it and because he was well aware of fellow Aussie Cadel Evans winning the TDF on a BMC, he didn't test any other bike.

Makes me wonder how this guy would have gone if he was riding a TCR that cost as much as his BMC, rather than a third.

Last edited by ColonelSanders; 08-13-19 at 11:39 AM. Reason: I ridiculously had mixed up BMC and KMC
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 08-13-19, 01:57 AM
logical
______

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have had the previous generation Propel and currently have the 2016 Madone and I can honestly say the Propel felt faster. It has the feel of a stiff race bike. The Madone feels cushier but its definitely not slower.

I would say Di2 is a must have IMO. But if you dont know what your missing dont go and try a bike with Di2

Also, if youre in LA and getting a Giant go to Giant Santa Monica, Elon and crew over there will definitely hook you up right.
Likes For logical:
Old 08-13-19, 04:10 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by colonelsanders
makes me wonder how this guy would have gone if he was riding a tcr that cost as much as his kmc, rather than a third.
kmc?
Old 08-13-19, 04:24 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Sound advice, will do!

The Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3s came with TA for both front and rear and I had to purchase different end caps for compatibility with the rear 9x135 QRs. The shop gave me the original end caps that support 12x142 TA in the rear, so hopefully I'll just need to swap those out.
Bontrager also sources DTSwiss for their wheels.
Old 08-13-19, 04:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
kmc?
i'm guessing he meant BMC? Or possibly...

Old 08-13-19, 11:41 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

kmc?
I had a brain explosion and mixed up BMC with KMC.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
i'm guessing he meant BMC? Or possibly...

You never know.
Old 08-13-19, 01:26 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by logical
I have had the previous generation Propel and currently have the 2016 Madone and I can honestly say the Propel felt faster. It has the feel of a stiff race bike. The Madone feels cushier but its definitely not slower.

I would say Di2 is a must have IMO. But if you dont know what your missing dont go and try a bike with Di2

Also, if youre in LA and getting a Giant go to Giant Santa Monica, Elon and crew over there will definitely hook you up right.
I was actually just speaking with him and it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the TCR. Just going for a final test ride on a similar bike later today. Looks like the $5500 out the door is kind of the final price. They're not clearancing EoTY models, this is just the last one of this type/frame/size. Apparently it was a big purchase of team bikes, because according to Giant's site they don't have this bike in stock at the store.

They did offer me a choice of wheels, either the stock SLR-1s tubeless that come with it, or I could swap for some Black Inc Thirty which seem to MSRP for much more, are way lighter...but I don't think are tubeless but apparently are tubeless compatible.

What is the consensus for the Black Inc Thirties? Should I swap out the SLR-1s with the Black Incs? I think the Black Incs also had Yksion Pro USTs which don't seem to be awesome, so I might just upgrade tires right there.
Old 08-13-19, 01:38 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
CeramicSpeed bearings and wider rim profile is enough to convince me on the spot
Likes For illdrag0n:
Old 08-13-19, 01:43 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by illdrag0n
CeramicSpeed bearings and wider rim profile is enough to convince me on the spot
I kinda figured and called them back from work 😂
Old 08-13-19, 07:57 PM
CarloM

The deed is done, gentlepeoples. Down payment today, rest of the payment next week when I do my pro fitting. Opted for the Black Inc Thirties over the SLR-1s. They have Mavic Yksion Pro USTs which...get mixed reviews...but heck, I'll ride em down and then slap my Conti 5Ks on em later.

I know people were saying to try and get 20% since it's last year's model, 2020s expected in September...but my math came to this (and I'm using MSRPs; not lowest available on the web):
$5575 - TCR Adv SL1 stock
$779 - Black Inc Black 30 cost difference from Giant SLR-1 wheelset ($2249 - $1470)
-------
$6354 (total MSRP)
$4989 (my selling price before CA tax)
78.5% of cost, or 21.5% off

Could I have haggled and fought for more, yeah. But I came out of there with a very positive experience, unlike say a car haggling experience which makes me never want to go to the dealership again. Elon and Willie were great to work with. And yes, I know they're salesmen and need to be nice to customers, but how many subpar sales experiences have we all had in our lives? I never take a pleasant experience for granted. And I still have my pro fit coming up, so if they really do deliver on the pro set-up, vs. just a seat height/bike fit quickie, that's usually a $100 - $150 cost (in West LA) so that's another value-add.

Bottom line: I came out feeling like, although I didn't get a bargain basement deal, I felt like I got a good deal and was not taken advantage of.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 08-13-19, 11:34 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

The deed is done, gentlepeoples. Down payment today, rest of the payment next week when I do my pro fitting. Opted for the Black Inc Thirties over the SLR-1s. They have Mavic Yksion Pro USTs which...get mixed reviews...but heck, I'll ride em down and then slap my Conti 5Ks on em later.

I know people were saying to try and get 20% since it's last year's model, 2020s expected in September...but my math came to this (and I'm using MSRPs; not lowest available on the web):
$5575 - TCR Adv SL1 stock
$779 - Black Inc Black 30 cost difference from Giant SLR-1 wheelset ($2249 - $1470)
-------
$6354 (total MSRP)
$4989 (my selling price before CA tax)
78.5% of cost, or 21.5% off

Could I have haggled and fought for more, yeah. But I came out of there with a very positive experience, unlike say a car haggling experience which makes me never want to go to the dealership again. Elon and Willie were great to work with. And yes, I know they're salesmen and need to be nice to customers, but how many subpar sales experiences have we all had in our lives? I never take a pleasant experience for granted. And I still have my pro fit coming up, so if they really do deliver on the pro set-up, vs. just a seat height/bike fit quickie, that's usually a $100 - $150 cost (in West LA) so that's another value-add.

Bottom line: I came out feeling like, although I didn't get a bargain basement deal, I felt like I got a good deal and was not taken advantage of.
Don't forget to post pics once you have your bike.
Old 08-14-19, 01:17 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Did you give em a review on Maps?
Old 08-14-19, 08:31 AM
CarloM

Did you give em a review on Maps?
Not yet. As soon as I have my fit and take delivery I will.
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Don't forget to post pics once you have your bike.
You bet I will! I’m actually tempted to ride by later today and take some shots of it still on the floor
Likes For CarloM:
Old 08-14-19, 11:33 PM
CarloM

I am weak. Couldn't resist stopping by on my night ride to snap a few shots.

TCR Advanced SL1 (2019) in "Gloss Rainbow Black / Matte Black", ISP still uncut (like a newborn boy...eww I went there)
I know, based on this shot you're probably confused about the color naming and thinking "yep, another black bike, boring af..."

Carbon fiber handlebar

Two things about this next shot:
1. You can now see why it's called "Rainbow Black"
2. If there was one aesthetic thing that sold me on this bike (the main selling point was the ride quality and how I felt on it), it was this part of the bike. I know that most of the newest bike designs have followed the model of the seat stay being joined much lower on the seat tube from where the top tube meets it. But this join is, to my eyes, beautiful craftsmanship.

The Black Inc Black Thirty rims with CeramicSpeed bearings and Mavic Yksion Pro UST Tubeless (I'm having them convert it to tubeless before I take ownership)

And I just had to include this shot. To explain: I have a soft spot for colors of classic cars and Kitchen Aid stand mixers. This Revolt Advanced 0 with Panaracer tires (because Willie thought they fit the color scheme better, and he was right) reminds me of both. "Gray Teal". And if someone had given me a $4K gift and told me I could only spend it on another bike in the store, this would have been the one. This would have been a beautiful second "change of pace" bike to the TCR.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 08-15-19, 04:55 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
You made a very good choice. Have fun!
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-16-19, 01:30 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
You made a very good choice. Have fun!
Thanks! I am actually so enamored by the paint job that...I just ordered some 3M VViVid Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film (along with application tools) for it's arrival. I've looked at the underside of my Cannondale where all the road crap has hit it--luckily it's a matte paint job so not much damage really, but it gives me an idea where debris will hit for the TCR. I'll be putting strips on the bottom of the down tube, the rear of the seat tube, and on the drivetrain side of the chain stay (assuming they haven't put one there like Cannondale did).
Old 08-16-19, 11:41 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
I am weak. Couldn't resist stopping by on my night ride to snap a few shots.

TCR Advanced SL1 (2019) in "Gloss Rainbow Black / Matte Black", ISP still uncut (like a newborn boy...eww I went there)
I know, based on this shot you're probably confused about the color naming and thinking "yep, another black bike, boring af..."

Carbon fiber handlebar

Two things about this next shot:
1. You can now see why it's called "Rainbow Black"
2. If there was one aesthetic thing that sold me on this bike (the main selling point was the ride quality and how I felt on it), it was this part of the bike. I know that most of the newest bike designs have followed the model of the seat stay being joined much lower on the seat tube from where the top tube meets it. But this join is, to my eyes, beautiful craftsmanship.

The Black Inc Black Thirty rims with CeramicSpeed bearings and Mavic Yksion Pro UST Tubeless (I'm having them convert it to tubeless before I take ownership)
SICK BIKE!!!!! You got a good deal. I immediately replaced the bar tape and the saddle (Spesh Toupe from my old bike). Also think Lyzene Micro Caddy saddle bag looks good with the aero seat tube. Enjoy the ride, you'll friggn love it!
Old 08-16-19, 12:23 PM
CarloM

SICK BIKE!!!!! You got a good deal. I immediately replaced the bar tape and the saddle (Spesh Toupe from my old bike). Also think Lyzene Micro Caddy saddle bag looks good with the aero seat tube. Enjoy the ride, you'll friggn love it!
Thanks! Checking out your recommendation about a saddle bag. With the ISP and paint job, I don't want to put on a saddlebag that may rub and wear at the seatpost, so I'm exploring options that only attach to the saddle rails and ideally does not come in contact the seat post. Since it's set up tubeless I don't need the bag to hold much (already have a mini pump that attaches to the seat tube). In fact, I'm contemplating riding with as little add-ons as possible at first, so my first go may be with no saddle bags and just what I need in my jersey pockets + mini pump + lights + water bottle.
Old 08-16-19, 12:45 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
How much does it weigh?
Old 08-16-19, 12:57 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Thanks! Checking out your recommendation about a saddle bag. With the ISP and paint job, I don't want to put on a saddlebag that may rub and wear at the seatpost, so I'm exploring options that only attach to the saddle rails and ideally does not come in contact the seat post. Since it's set up tubeless I don't need the bag to hold much (already have a mini pump that attaches to the seat tube). In fact, I'm contemplating riding with as little add-ons as possible at first, so my first go may be with no saddle bags and just what I need in my jersey pockets + mini pump + lights + water bottle.
Yes, no velcro strap on the Lezyne micro caddy. Big reason I like it. I can squeeze in a tube, one lever, two CO2 cartridges (just in case), a giant inflator, and a mini REI multitool. I don't have tubeless but a lot of people I know carry a tube just in case they get a large sidewall cut or something. It's also like 20 bucks.
Old 08-16-19, 01:09 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by Dean V
How much does it weigh?
Giant's USA site doesn't say. I'll have the bike shop weigh it after I put the pedals and cage on it. I will say I got my SuperSix+Pro3 and all accoutrements (2 cages, lights, mini pump) down to just a hair over 18lbs. Lifting it side by side with this bike was a noticeable difference (in that the TCR was considerably lighter).

Giant's Japan site seems to be the only one listing weight, and it claims 7.2 kg (15.84 lbs) for the M. I got the S. And the Black Thirties are supposedly 150g lighter than the SLR-1 42s that comes stock with it (and that likely Giant Japan used for the weight).

Yes, no velcro strap on the Lezyne micro caddy. Big reason I like it. I can squeeze in a tube, one lever, two CO2 cartridges (just in case), a giant inflator, and a mini REI multitool. I don't have tubeless but a lot of people I know carry a tube just in case they get a large sidewall cut or something. It's also like 20 bucks.
Thanks for the info! Just placed an order on Prime. They have great return policy and I live near an Amazon Hub Locker so no real risk to try it out!
Old 08-16-19, 03:53 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Saddle bag is so yesterday... with the tubeless tire and sealant setup, you only need to carry a plug tool (like the Dynaplug) and maybe a couple of co2 cartridges and you are set. Al that you can fit into a small bag in your jersey pocket. Fixing a tubeless flat on the road is PITA.

BTW, what's the widest tire the TCR will fit?
Old 08-16-19, 04:21 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by dalava
Saddle bag is so yesterday... with the tubeless tire and sealant setup, you only need to carry a plug tool (like the Dynaplug) and maybe a couple of co2 cartridges and you are set. Al that you can fit into a small bag in your jersey pocket. Fixing a tubeless flat on the road is PITA.

BTW, what's the widest tire the TCR will fit?
I do have other things I like to carry around on my rides, so to me a saddle bag is still nice to have. On rides where all that matters is the ride, and no other things are on the itinerary, then I'll go sans saddle bag. But even on my "long" rides it usually involves a mid-ride stop somewhere to chill, recover, eat and drink, and during that time I'd like to have some things on me like my cell phone. I don't like keeping that in my jersey pocket because it's so heavy it causes sag and also don't like the feel of a sweat-soaked phone.

The guys at the shop said "30mm easy" so I'll assume it's that. Because if it was 32 I would have hoped they'd have said 32. It comes with 25s. I usually roll with 28s. So after I wear out the 25s and replace them I can see how much additional clearance there is beyond 28.

One thing I noticed is that both the stock SLR-1 42s and the Black Inc Black Thirty they swapped for me are 17mm internal rim width, so the tires should be pretty close to their measured width. If I remember to, I'll ask them if they can use their calipers to measure what width the 25mm wheels are actually running at.
Old 08-16-19, 05:24 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
How much does it weigh?
Its 7.2KG (uncircumcized ISP) for a Medium according to Giant's Japanese site.

https://www.giant.co.jp/giant19/bike...?p_id=00000013

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.