Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What are you drinking?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What are you drinking?

Old 09-09-19, 07:26 PM
adipe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
most people have sodium excess. therefore it tends to come out concentrated in the sweat and it's a very uncomfortable sweat.

drink whatever kool-aid, it's what you eat that matters. and don't drink plasticisers that get disolved in greasy or acidic stuff and more easily come out of the plastics when exposed to sunlight.
keep away from aluminum too as it can get you alzheimer and bone loss. your level of vitamin D could be too high from the plastic you use and screws your CYP450 enzymes. that's just one effect and it causes kidney failure (continual calcium absorption).

google this: phthalates, cyp450... and maybe you'd care to look into glyphosate as it's one of the causes for manganese deficiency.

be sure to have large portions of manganese rich foods. manganese is important but few people know about the iron overload in the liver and the antagonism of manganese with iron that can't be selectively absorbed.
lactofermented oats (doesn't have to have have mik, it's the lactobacillus species that give the term) is very nice to have and it's tasty too provided you add some honey when served, otherwise it might be too sour, like fully processed yoghurt.

i won't go into the whole thing, explaining why silica is also a concern for many (orthosilicic acid), especially those who drank out of aluminum cans etc. - so as to fully justify why especially oat bran is so much of value. i ate it in the morning for almost a year.

it goes well with pressured boiled sweet potatoes in the evening. oats in the morning, not the other way around. you might be able to better digest meat later on. or just give it up unless you dine with the family and you don't want to be a full zealot about healthy practical foods.

low manganese means probiotics go extinct. less mitochondrial density too (required for aerobic). no ATP production - no other types of muscles being developed. ATP is produced in the mitochondria. superoxide dismutase (SOD2 in the mitochondria, requires manganese as component) is an antioxidant enzyme without which you will have high fatigue and accelerated ageing.

after going for almost a year with this main diet i could isometric pistol squat for 50 seconds - after full sleep that is. no kidding. excercise had not been (and cannot be alone) of significant aid to this result. femur horizontal with the ground. 50 full seconds. see if you can hold it for 25 seconds...

mix some coconut oil to the oats when leaving them to lactoferment - provided you ensure the right starter culture is there. my best outcome was with green tea as the liquid.
coconut oil has fats that make yeast (and other types of fungus) more vulnerable to go extinct from other substances like lactic acid produced by those friends that never comment bad stuff, even if they die from neglect. it's the bad bugs that keep you hooked to unhealthy foods. gram negative bacteria that could be residing in your gut without you knowing it. or the way out.

and don't forget to avoid NaCl like plague cause it's plenty in the basic food, no need to add on top of that. NaCl promotes yeast and funguses in the long run. and it causes potassium loss and kidney damage.

so there you have it, i ruined your kool aid with this post.

Last edited by adipe; 09-09-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 06:34 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
^^^Interesting. Mind if I ask, are you a physician, or is this your anecdotal experience backed by some serious Google-Fu search technique mixed in with trial and error? I just want to know how you arrived at those conclusions. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by GreenAnvil; 09-10-19 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 09:34 AM
adipe

Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
^^^Interesting. Mind if I ask, are you a physician, or is this your anecdotal experience backed by some serious Google-Fu search technique mixed in with trial and error? I just want to know how you arrived at those conclusions. Thank you for sharing.
anecdotal, right...
you may do your own research if you want to know the facts. and nobody could ever say that the main food i cared to share as being an affordable diet would do you harm.
you may search for the nutritional composition of basic foods so as to find out if there's something lacking which should be sought elsewhere. i did that too and centralised the data.

do you expect me to back everything i said with articles such as these?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC215370/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4997410/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4049942/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4742844/

this is the kind of google-fu i have done to arrive at these conclusions. and i have eaten my own kool aid for a year (with no gap) to know it works.
and i know for a fact to work very well. i even fed my dog all that i ate and gave up buying meat because of what animals eat and end up accumulating in their fat etc. POP - persistant organic pollutants.

evening: minimum 500g sweet potatoes boiled in pressure cooker; some turmeric and 1-2 spoons of oils such as olive or coconut; a bit of garlic/onions.

morning meal (a bit more complex): oat bran 200g, flaxseed 50g, sesame 25g, buckwheat ~15g, minimum 10g green tea. 2:1 liquid to solid ratio, 1 spoon of coconut oil mixed in all this. left overnight and sometimes even for 24h before eating. probiotics as starting culture. always added some honey when served. sometimes i would eat raw egg yolks as a start and zealously throw egg white down the drain (avidin is bad). egg yolks always served with an extra spoon of coconut oil and some honey. some cheese from time to time. anything else i ate - like raisins or fruits - was in negligible amount. i should mention eating pineapple in its season. it's manganese rich.

if you don't know these things yet... you can do your own google-fu.
you won't have things things learned in any school, mind you. you have to read outside the box.

you either can protest that i only experimented on myself or that i experimented on animals - the dog that is.

maybe i should start a sect or something, right?

Last edited by adipe; 09-10-19 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 09:58 AM
adipe

i should mention that the organism can produce "alpha lipoic acid" if it can add chain length to short chain fatty acids - biotin is crucial for this matter and not a few people have biotin deficiency;
octanoic acid + cysteine (sulphur donor) -> ALA.
vitamin E and vitamin C can be recycled by the organism through ALA.

if you want to supplement with cysteine... take acetylcysteine
but you should rather/also look for cysteine (vulnerable to heat) rich foods... like oat bran. and you should keep the MSM which is in raw foods. methylsulfonylmethane gets evaporated when food is cooked at high temperature.
sulfur is key in detoxification. probiotics such as L. casei add sulfur to serine to produce further cysteine. you want that. taurine can be produced from cysteine and it is better than glycine for the purpose of conjugating things that need to be excreted by being thrown back in the gut so that it is not reabsorbed. vegetarians are usually taurine deficient because they usually choose to be vegetarians somehow irrationally, on not the right motives. no care to find out more.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7649494

and by the way, ALA is the best supplement to take before a workout due to hormesis.
Old 09-10-19, 10:00 AM
GreenAnvil

^^^Hi. I don’t know if I’m picking some negative vibes from your response. I meant no offense nor to challenge your findings. I only wanted to have a better idea of how you had reached these conclusions (if you specifically trained/studied in this particular field). I appreciate your willingness to share your findings and providing additional resources. Thank you.
Old 09-10-19, 10:02 AM
adipe

^^^Hi. I don’t know if I’m picking some negative vibes from your response. I meant no offense nor to challenge your findings. I only wanted to have a better idea of how you had reached these conclusions (if you specifically trained/studied in this particular field. I appreciate your willingness to share your findings and providing additional resources. Thank you.
your tone was rather suspicious and pointy...
"are you a physician, or is this your anecdotal experience backed by..."
Old 09-10-19, 10:04 AM
GreenAnvil

Originally Posted by adipe
your tone was rather suspicious and pointy...
"are you a physician, or is this your anecdotal experience backed by..."
I think you read too much into it. But anyway, my apologies, and good-bye. Have a wonderful day!
Old 09-10-19, 10:06 AM
adipe

I think you read too much into it. But anyway, my apologies, and good-bye. Have a wonderful day!
no worries. g'day to you too!
Old 09-10-19, 12:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Old 09-10-19, 02:16 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts

Vitalyte, previously known as Gookinaid.
Gatorade and Powerade disagree with my tummy.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-18-19, 02:43 AM
Leaa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have a better look into Honey Stinger that looks promissing for sure :-)
Old 09-18-19, 01:53 PM
JLTD

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Plain water generally.
Old 09-18-19, 01:59 PM
RedBullFiXX

Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Watched a very informative vlog on Trainer Road with a guest from https://www.precisionhydration.com/
Good info for those of us that sweat a ton
Likes For RedBullFiXX:
Old 09-18-19, 02:32 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Oswald Bates, my brotha!
Old 09-19-19, 01:36 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Watched a very informative vlog on Trainer Road with a guest from https://www.precisionhydration.com/
Good info for those of us that sweat a ton
just listened the podcast of the same information. it was so neat.
Old 09-21-19, 08:03 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Water. It’s all you need.
Old 09-21-19, 09:02 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Water. It’s all you need.
That depends on the length of the trip. For a short ride maybe.
Old 09-22-19, 07:58 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
That depends on the length of the trip. For a short ride maybe.
Disagree. Water to rehydrate, food to replenish. Pretty simple stuff that has served man 200000 years. Only in the last 40 have we gone crazy trying to correct what the body does naturally and put a price tag on it.
Old 09-22-19, 09:08 PM
RedBullFiXX

Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Disagree. Water to rehydrate, food to replenish. Pretty simple stuff that has served man 200000 years. Only in the last 40 have we gone crazy trying to correct what the body does naturally and put a price tag on it.
Great, if that works for you
Consider yourself lucky
Not all of us are in the middle of that bell curve
Old 09-23-19, 07:58 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol.
Old 09-23-19, 11:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Water, unimproved for billions of years. Why mess up a good thing?

Unless it's diet Dew.
Old 09-24-19, 09:09 AM
willieb

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
...Unless it's diet Dew.
Yes ^^
Old 09-25-19, 01:30 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Interesting article from CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/25/healt...ess/index.html
Old 09-25-19, 01:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman

Vitalyte, previously known as Gookinaid.
Gatorade and Powerade disagree with my tummy.
+1 And better than water. Easier to drink in large amounts. On my fix gear, I tend to go long stretches without drinking. (Impossible uphill and dangerous downhill.) With Vitalyte, I can drain half a waterbottle in one shot. I do it frequently Maybe I could with straight water, but I never would.

I've been drinking the stuff the last 45 years. It works.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: