Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have you ever had a shop refuse a test ride?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Have you ever had a shop refuse a test ride?

Old 12-12-19, 05:07 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by haggiszero
I wouldn't want to buy a bike over $4000 that had been ridden by anyone. Whats the point of buying a "new" bike if its been ridden on multiple test rides? No thanks.

If you want to try out the Emonda, sure, here is the ALR rental go check it out. I wouldn't expect a bike shop to let me take out the SLR.
I would be OK with buying an expensive bike that had been on a few short test rides, as long as there was absolutely no scratches or damage. I would ask for a discount if there was any visible signs of use. I mean, if it had been test ridden for less than 100 miles on pavement in dry weather, how would you even be able to tell? A "new" car never has 0 miles on it either, since it has to be driven from the dealership.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that bike shops had "demo bikes" around of their most popular models at least. At least I regularly see discounted bikes appear described as "demo bikes".

Perhaps this is only a feasible strategy for larger bike shops, not a small shop that has only 1 bike of each model in stock.

I have set foot in huge bike shops though (like small warehouse size), that seemingly had one (or multiple) bikes of every size in stock for each model, even in multiple color options. I have also been in shops that are so small they only have 1 bike of each model on display, so it is unlikely it would be in your size.

Last edited by maartendc; 12-12-19 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-12-19, 06:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc

I have set foot in huge bike shops though (like small warehouse size), that seemingly had one (or multiple) bikes of every size in stock for each model, even in multiple color options. I have also been in shops that are so small they only have 1 bike of each model on display, so it is unlikely it would be in your size.
It would have to be a huge shop. As an example, Trek has about 20 models of Domane, on average each offered in 2-3 colors and 6-7 sizes. That would be a lot of bikes hanging up just for one model.. Now add the Checkpoint, Emonda, City bikes, Fitness bikes, MTBs, etc etc
Old 12-12-19, 07:44 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by haggiszero
I wouldn't want to buy a bike over $4000 that had been ridden by anyone. Whats the point of buying a "new" bike if its been ridden on multiple test rides? No thanks.

If you want to try out the Emonda, sure, here is the ALR rental go check it out. I wouldn't expect a bike shop to let me take out the SLR.
That is a very fair point, and for me test rides are about fit/geometry sot having a quick spin in the parking lot on a downrange model would be good enough for me, One shop did let me take out a 1900 Diverge while trying to up-sell me on future shock.

However may people buy new cars with 50 - 100 miles on them from test drives and don't bat an eye.
Old 12-12-19, 09:49 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It would have to be a huge shop. As an example, Trek has about 20 models of Domane, on average each offered in 2-3 colors and 6-7 sizes. That would be a lot of bikes hanging up just for one model.. Now add the Checkpoint, Emonda, City bikes, Fitness bikes, MTBs, etc etc
Sure, but I mean for example one alloy Domane and one carbon domane in the most common sizes (S,M,L) for example. I obviously would not expect a shop to carry a version of EVERY groupset option available on EVERY frame. That would be madness.

I would never test ride purely to determine a groupset choice in any case. Just for geometry and fit. The difference between groupsets is so minimal, it is just number of gears and weight. I would be happy test riding a bike on Sora and ordering Ultegra, if I knew that is how much I wanted to spend.
Old 12-12-19, 10:44 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Having a bike with zero miles is a nice concept, the only way to achieve that is to have the bike shop order it up brand new for you, watch them unbox and assemble it, and then do the test ride yourself. Otherwise the mechanic is going to have a go on it, as well they should, to confirm all the bits and pieces are there. Or you can order up the pieces online and assemble it yourself. Otherwise most bikes in the shop have been lightly ridden (but should show no obvious signs of wear and tear outside of maybe some on the tires). Even ordering complete bikes online, you're not sure if they don't have a brick and mortar presence which has allowed that bike to be ridden. It's more important to me to be sure I buy from a place that the manufacturer will honor the warranty (vs. gray market) so that if anything goes wrong due to a defect, I'm covered.
Old 12-12-19, 06:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Sure, but I mean for example one alloy Domane and one carbon domane in the most common sizes (S,M,L) for example. I obviously would not expect a shop to carry a version of EVERY groupset option available on EVERY frame. That would be madness.

I would never test ride purely to determine a groupset choice in any case. Just for geometry and fit. The difference between groupsets is so minimal, it is just number of gears and weight. I would be happy test riding a bike on Sora and ordering Ultegra, if I knew that is how much I wanted to spend.
I agree completely.. madness to expect this. Though I would disagree somewhat on groupset choice testing. Maybe just my personal POV, but yes, I might be just as interested in how does SRAM work vs Shimano; or what is this whole Di2 thing all about vs mechanical, etc. If I've only ever ridden caliper brakes, I might want to know what a disc brake does for me, etc.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-12-19, 06:14 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I agree completely.. madness to expect this. Though I would disagree somewhat on groupset choice testing. Maybe just my personal POV, but yes, I might be just as interested in how does SRAM work vs Shimano; or what is this whole Di2 thing all about vs mechanical, etc. If I've only ever ridden caliper brakes, I might want to know what a disc brake does for me, etc.
^^^^ This. if you've never used disc brakes or SRAM (or., I suppose on the off-off chance Campy is on the bike), it could be pretty valuable to just get a quick feel of it. Particularly when I rode SRAM for the very first time, it was after I had ordered a Rival bike from Competitive Cyclist--sight unseen, of course. Fortunately, I loved it, but it was a big change from my Ultegra on the Orca. would definitely would have been better had I been able to do a quickie spin around the building even. I find CC often to be on the expensive side, but the deal I got on that Wilier was screaming and noone in town could match it. I would buy another bike from them, but would not choose one with a gruppo I had no prior experience with next time.
Old 12-12-19, 08:56 PM
qrtzoj

Bikes: Dual Sport 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Very pleased with Trek company store

So I hear one piece of advice on this forum ad nauseum: " test ride the bike, see if it fits. "

Well, I went to a local bike shop over the weekend that sells Trek bikes, Ridley, and high end electric bikes and scooters, etc. Very nice looking high-end shop.

I am in the market for a gravel bike, so when I inquired about test riding a Trek Checkpoint AL4, the guy was like "sure, you could take it around the block some time, when the weather is nice". He seemed very reluctant. Then when I asked him: Do you have my size in stock, he said "No, we would have to order it". Then, all this led me to ask: "So do most people just buy a bike without test riding it?" He said "Yes. "

SO this leads me to my question: How common is it REALLY to test ride a bike before you buy it? Have you ever encountered a shop that would not let you test ride a bike? Just curious.

In my opinion, this shop provides ZERO added value over ordering online, so I will most definitely not be buying from them. I can look at a geometry chart at home, thank you very much.

Thanks!
Short answer - My local Trek company store was extremely accommodating.

When I decided to get my first new bike since I was a teen, a rail-trail model, I knew I wanted a Trek and so after looking at tons of info online, I decided on the DualSport3 model. We have a Trek company store near us, just a few miles away so I paid them a visit but they didn't have my size of a DS3 and only had a DS2 in large in stock so we took it out the rear door to a large mostly empty parking lot out back and after adjusting the seat they let me ride around for ten minutes. Later, I checked around at a couple of other area dealers and as it was October already they were also out of 2019 DS3s. Then the Trek store called to say they had found a 2019 DS3 at another company store in Nashville and that with a deposit they would have it sent up here to Lancaster, Pa. Well, when the bike arrived they found that the top bar was scratched up and invited me in to look it over and that if I still wanted it they would make me a deal but I really didn't want it even with the discount they offered. If I'm getting a new bike I want a new bike! In the end, they offered me a 2020 DS3 for the same sale price they were selling me the 2019 for so that's what I got in that bright green color so now it's my Shrek bike.
Old 12-13-19, 02:13 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by CarloM
Having a bike with zero miles is a nice concept, the only way to achieve that is to have the bike shop order it up brand new for you, watch them unbox and assemble it, and then do the test ride yourself.
Honestly I do not understand the desire for it to be never ridden. Obviously you don't want a damaged bike or worn parts, but a bike is meant to be ridden. You will put more miles on it in the first week than any test rides it has had, if you are doing it right.

Unless you are going to put it in a glass cage...
Likes For maartendc: