Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear facing camera or radar

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rear facing camera or radar

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 03:23 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting thought. Do you know about what distance away from the Varia other users would still get a signal?
It's just an Ant+ transmitter; so figure 100 ft on either side of you max; pretty decent really unless you get strung out. Even if someone drops too far away, they will reconnect when they come back into range. And of course, they only have to pair with it once and they'll reconnect anytime they ride with you.
Old 12-31-19, 10:27 AM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It knows there's a car behind you before you can hear it.

For a brief while my experience was that it's more useful in the city than in rural areas, there's so much ambient noise in town that you can't hear cars until they're pretty close. That was until the first time I had a long decent on chipseal, the buzz is too loud.

I assume the reason you're asking is that your intrigued and considering one. If so, buy it from REI, Backcountry.com, or some other store with a good return policy. Then decide for yourself based on your own riding, with no financial risk.
Exactly right. The Varia alerts me to the presence of a car WAY before I could hear it - particularly if I am moving briskly and wind noise is muffling sound - or there is other ambient noise contributing to the same effect. Also, unlike a mirror, it can spot the car behind me, and the car behind that, and the car behind that - plus give a graphic representation of their spacing and rate of approach.

And as has been mentioned, it gives a bright rapid flash as a car approaches to hopefully alert the driver to your presence. This sudden and proximate change has to stand out more than just the constant strobe of a regular tail light.

And it is useful to other riders in your group even if they aren't linked - that same bright flash tells them a car is close, too.

No one safety system answers all questions. But this is undeniably a VERY safety useful tool.
Likes For Jaeger99:
Old 12-31-19, 11:37 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
^^+1
Old 01-01-20, 07:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Just as an FYI, ProBikeKit has the Cycliq Fly12 CE (front-facing camera/light) on sale for $205 and there's a promo for an additional 10% off, bringing it down to ~$185 total. That's a tempting price for me and it seems like it would nicely complement the Varia.
Old 01-01-20, 11:32 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It knows there's a car behind you before you can hear it.

For a brief while my experience was that it's more useful in the city than in rural areas, there's so much ambient noise in town that you can't hear cars until they're pretty close. That was until the first time I had a long decent on chipseal, the buzz is too loud.

I assume the reason you're asking is that your intrigued and considering one. If so, buy it from REI, Backcountry.com, or some other store with a good return policy. Then decide for yourself based on your own riding, with no financial risk.
I’m a fan of the Varia radar and I have both this current version and the prior version. Practically all of my riding is on rural high speed roads and I find that it gives me enough heads up to evaluate the car approaching to make sure I’m clear (I use a glass mounted mirror too).

What I’ve found especially useful given the speed of the traffic on these roads (55mph most of them) is that it interrupts my scan such that I can skip the extra second or two in my scan to look at the approaching car right away. At 55mp, that’s important.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Here's a couple of situations where I find radar useful:

1. If a car is passing you, it can be difficult to hear a second (or third) car coming. Radar can track multiple vehicles, so you know how many cars are back there.
^this. Completely agree. Very helpful and the whole thing just adds to situational awareness.

Also worth noting is that if you have it in flashing mode, the flashing pattern changes and increases in urgency as the driver approaches. This has to help with visibility.

Both my wife and I have these on our bikes. The RTL510 has a directional optic lens and really makes it visible a long way down the road. It’s a well done product.

Also worthy to note - the Hammerhead Karoo also supports the Varia radar. I’d have to say that it’s probably the best implementation of the three brands that support it. They also have an audio alert that is available through Bluetooth and it much easier to hear. The weak piezoelectric beepers on Garmin and Wahoo units are deficient in this regard and I think the audio alert capability is an important aspect and was one of the reasons I upgraded to the RTL510 (head and taillight package).
Old 01-02-20, 03:17 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
What's the best way to use the light on this sucker? Solid (and blinding!) red? Slow strobe? Flashing? What are most of you doing?

My only concern if someone, somewhere mentioned the batter drain on the Garmin 520 (which is my unit). My 520 has pretty good battery life now, so I'll have to see if I notice any changes with the Varia hooked up.
I get ~4-5hrs out of my varia, and maybe 5-6hrs out of my 820 head unit. I also have the varia connected to my fenix5 simultaneously. That way I can sense the vibration when I'm distracted.
Old 01-02-20, 05:17 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
What's the best way to use the light on this sucker? Solid (and blinding!) red? Slow strobe? Flashing? What are most of you doing?

My only concern if someone, somewhere mentioned the batter drain on the Garmin 520 (which is my unit). My 520 has pretty good battery life now, so I'll have to see if I notice any changes with the Varia hooked up.
without question, I think the flashing mode is the most noticeable during the day and has the best battery life to boot. I don’t keep track but I’d guess the life is around 8-10 hours or so in that mode. Steady on is going to use the most battery and probably be the least eye catching.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 01-06-20, 09:43 AM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Got the Varia Radar 510 as a Christmas present. Have been on three rides so far and can say it detected all cars with a couple of false positives (indicated vehicle when none was there). I have a Wahoo Elmnt Bolt and have not noticed any additional battery drain and it paired easily and works well. I use a helmet mirror and can say that if I look at the right time, I will see cars before the Varia alerts, particularly if there are turns or hills. However, there are always a couple of instances when I ride where I don't glance at the right time and miss a vehicle approaching. The Varia eliminates this issue completely. The other significant positive to the Varia is it detects multiple vehicles. I can't count the number of times I saw a car coming up from behind where a second vehicle was following closely and not readily visible. I will still always use a mirror - the Varia doesn't tell you what kinds of vehicle are approaching and I like the ability to know what is coming up without having to glance backward. But I definitely feel the Varia adds to my awareness and can recommend it without reservation.

Last edited by Steeler_fanatic; 01-06-20 at 10:14 AM.
Likes For Steeler_fanatic:
Old 01-06-20, 11:27 AM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeler_fanatic
Got the Varia Radar 510 as a Christmas present. Have been on three rides so far and can say it detected all cars with a couple of false positives (indicated vehicle when none was there). I have a Wahoo Elmnt Bolt and have not noticed any additional battery drain and it paired easily and works well. I use a helmet mirror and can say that if I look at the right time, I will see cars before the Varia alerts, particularly if there are turns or hills. However, there are always a couple of instances when I ride where I don't glance at the right time and miss a vehicle approaching. The Varia eliminates this issue completely. The other significant positive to the Varia is it detects multiple vehicles. I can't count the number of times I saw a car coming up from behind where a second vehicle was following closely and not readily visible. I will still always use a mirror - the Varia doesn't tell you what kinds of vehicle are approaching and I like the ability to know what is coming up without having to glance backward. But I definitely feel the Varia adds to my awareness and can recommend it without reservation.
I have the same setup (Wahoo Bolt) and my false positives seem to be in the same places along my commute. It appears that the security light sensors near some buildings trigger these "ghost" cars to appear. Knowing this, I still use my head turn to initiate any lane changes.
Old 01-06-20, 04:13 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
I have the same setup (Wahoo Bolt) and my false positives seem to be in the same places along my commute. It appears that the security light sensors near some buildings trigger these "ghost" cars to appear. Knowing this, I still use my head turn to initiate any lane changes.
I noticed this as well (ghosts in similar locations). I always get a ghost alert when passing the same electrical substation so I suspect in that case there is some signal interference. I also have seen ghosts at particular locations where I just made a turn on to a perpendicular street - sometimes the varia will pickup cars traveling on the original street that pass by the intersection I just turned from. Other times there doesn't seem to be any discernible cause (maybe wind in the trees?). But in any event, I'd rather get false positives than false negatives