Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Fair Price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 02:40 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Fair Price?

Hi all,
Finally getting going on rebuilding my Derosa Frame (Circa '92 I believe or at least between '90-'92). The plan was for full polished Campy Record or Chorus but haven't found anything quite right price and condition wise.

At any rate, the owner of one of our most trusted LBS' here in the desert whom has always been solid for me found some Campy Chorus in his stash bin. 10 speed, but carbon crankset (spider), carbon shifters, and the black carbon inlay on the rear derailleur. Not quite sure model year. The cassette is brand new or so it seems, everything else has been used but look to be in amazing shape and essentially no scratches. The brakes are perfect condition. He mentioned about $475 for the whole group including BB. Is this a reasonable price do you think?

Since I'm now looking at a more retro/modern build if I go with his groupset then I'm thinking of some shallow carbon wheels to go with it. If anyone has done this before, I know that I need to avoid the uber wide rims popular these days, but anything else I need to know? Any idea what the max external width I can go with given Chorus brakeset?

Thanks as always, happy to finally be making some progress with this!
Old 01-26-20, 02:42 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
Is this a reasonable price do you think?
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.
Old 01-26-20, 02:57 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Almost $500 for a used 10 speed groupset seems a bit much to me, but I'm a cheapskate and it is Chorus.
Old 01-26-20, 03:09 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.
Thank you, my apologies!
Old 01-26-20, 05:28 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Is it a 100% full matching group with hubs including skewrers cassette campy chain headset & seat post or just the parts noted? If it is true complete matching group the price is fair if it's just the mentioned parts the price seems a bit high by abut $100-150.
Old 01-26-20, 09:30 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Is it a 100% full matching group with hubs including skewrers cassette campy chain headset & seat post or just the parts noted? If it is true complete matching group the price is fair if it's just the mentioned parts the price seems a bit high by abut $100-150.
no skewers or headset. Brakes, derailleurs, crankset, chain, cassette, levers, cables, BB. So too much?
Old 01-30-20, 10:06 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
no skewers or headset. Brakes, derailleurs, crankset, chain, cassette, levers, cables, BB. So too much?
For the asking price, I would want all of the above, plus cassette and wheel hubs. Complete wheels would be a bonus and then the asking price would be more than fair. As the set is offered, not interested but two to two fifty might get my interest. Take the time to look for the same thing on Ebay. A heck of a group there now, and a lot less money asked.
Old 01-30-20, 04:59 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
One thing to consider is that if you buy a incomplete Campy set buying the individual matching pieces to make it complete can get l pricey. One can easily spend more than the price of say a 70% group buying pieces individually to complete things.