Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why Reinvent the Wheel? (aka another Campagnolo rant)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why Reinvent the Wheel? (aka another Campagnolo rant)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 11:37 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The only people who think that Campy is rare are those who never look outside their local shop. I owned Shimano 8 speed STI, but when I tried Campy 8 speed ergopower in 1994, I immediately liked it better, with it's ability to shift at least 3 cogs larger or smaller with one push of the finger lever or thumb button and the entirely hidden cables. Campy lagged Shimano by one year in introducing 9 speed (1997), but after that, it's Shimano that has always been the follower, 3-4 years behind. They will probably get around to 12 speed for 2021, at least at the DuraAce level. I always bought Campy by mail order - first from discount sources in the US, and later from European sources, that had even better prices.

All reasoning doesn't go out the window when I'm asked why I use Campy. I use it due to their superior brake/shift lever system that has a shorter reach brake hood than the other brands. Their chains last longer than almost every other brand. Wipperman claims that their most expensive chain lasts longer. I haven't ever waited 3-4 years for my brand to catch up with the leader. I've never had anything break or wear out prematurely and the resale value of used Campy parts makes the cost of ownership quite reasonable. I've bought a few Record groupsets over the years, but never any Super Record. Now I only buy Chorus, that gives the best bang for the buck. The new Chorus 12 has the best shifting ever. I specifically got it for the new 48/32 crank and closely spaced 11-34 cassette.

I've owned a few custom wheelsets and used Mavic Ksyriums with the aluminum spokes on several bikes (the only spoke I ever broke). When I got back into cycling back in 2018 after 8 years off, I sold that 10 year old Mavic wheelset with one replaced spoke for a ridiculously high $275, which paid for most of one set of Zondas.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-31-20, 11:40 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Apparently the Zonda used to have a tubeless option, but now that starts at the higher level Shamal.
Scirocco are available in 2-way fit.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-31-20, 11:53 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Triplet/G3 lacing is a ****ing joke. It sorta works, until there's a broken spoke. You're screwed then.
But most importantly, they're hideous.

I thought Bontrager's paired spoke stuff was bad, but man...

I owned Shimano 8 speed STI, but when I tried Campy 8 speed ergopower in 1994, I immediately liked it better, with it's ability to shift at least 3 cogs larger or smaller with one push of the finger lever or thumb button and the entirely hidden cables.
I'll agree with you on that. My brifter experience is limited to 9 speed Sora, 10 speed Tiagra, and 8s Ergopower, but I the Ergopower is definitely my favorite. I love being able to dump multiple gears at a time. It's something I wish I could do on my mountain bike all the time.
Old 03-31-20, 12:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
But most importantly, they're hideous.
Hid.
E.
Ous.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-31-20, 12:32 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I had a Campy build bike 10 years ago (Centaur 10spd) but have been swapping every part that needs replacing with Shimano or other brands and now left with just the levers and UltraTorque cranks. What pissed me off with Campy was the use of non-standard parts just for the sake of market lock-in (and I don't use Apple any more for the same reason). I mean, why have unique cable ends, brake pad inserts, chainrings etc? So when it came to a wheelset, I didn't even consider Campy. I built a old school wheelset with 32 spoke Mavic Open UST rims (tubeless ready), Sapim laser spokes and a pair of DTswiss 240 hubs I got cheap off ebay cos the they were labeled as Coda- all up about $300 & 1600g/pair. I don't trust low spoke counts, wacky crossings or proprietry spokes. When I break a spoke (and they do break) I want to keep riding till I can fix it and be able to source a spoke easily. And I want to be able to do this in 10 or 20 years time when these are beater bike rims.
Likes For bluehills3149:
Old 03-31-20, 12:42 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Scirocco are available in 2-way fit.
Campy is making changes. Only the new 19mm wide disc brake model is available in a model that can be converted to tubeless. It's not tubeless ready as sold.
Zondas used to be considered tubeless, but not now. I haven't researched it because I have no interest in tubeless, but I believe the problem lies in a lack of one standard that all tire and rim brands adhere to for tubeless.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Whe...cco_disc_brake

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...02_08_2018.pdf

The rim brake model still has a 17mm internal width rim and is not considered to be able to convert to tubeless.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Wheels/wheel_scirocco

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-31-20 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-31-20, 12:53 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by bluehills3149
I had a Campy build bike 10 years ago (Centaur 10spd) but have been swapping every part that needs replacing with Shimano or other brands and now left with just the levers and UltraTorque cranks. What pissed me off with Campy was the use of non-standard parts just for the sake of market lock-in (and I don't use Apple any more for the same reason). I mean, why have unique cable ends, brake pad inserts, chainrings etc? So when it came to a wheelset, I didn't even consider Campy. I built a old school wheelset with 32 spoke Mavic Open UST rims (tubeless ready), Sapim laser spokes and a pair of DTswiss 240 hubs I got cheap off ebay cos the they were labeled as Coda- all up about $300 & 1600g/pair. I don't trust low spoke counts, wacky crossings or proprietry spokes. When I break a spoke (and they do break) I want to keep riding till I can fix it and be able to source a spoke easily. And I want to be able to do this in 10 or 20 years time when these are beater bike rims.
Being different than Shimano is not non-standard. It's likely that the Campy cable end has been around just as long or longer than Shimano. Same for the brake pads. Total nonsense. Nearly every brand of aftermarket cable is sold either with a Campy end, or better yet, with a Shimano end and a Campy end, on the same cable, so you can pick which one you want. It's been that way for over 20 years. Once again, brake pads are also available in both Campy and Shimano styles from most aftermarket sources like Kool Stop.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-31-20, 01:27 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The only people who think that Campy is rare are those who never look outside their local shop. I owned Shimano 8 speed STI, but when I tried Campy 8 speed ergopower in 1994, I immediately liked it better, with it's ability to shift at least 3 cogs larger or smaller with one push of the finger lever or thumb button and the entirely hidden cables. Campy lagged Shimano by one year in introducing 9 speed (1997), but after that, it's Shimano that has always been the follower, 3-4 years behind. They will probably get around to 12 speed for 2021, at least at the DuraAce level. I always bought Campy by mail order - first from discount sources in the US, and later from European sources, that had even better prices.

All reasoning doesn't go out the window when I'm asked why I use Campy. I use it due to their superior brake/shift lever system that has a shorter reach brake hood than the other brands. Their chains last longer than almost every other brand. Wipperman claims that their most expensive chain lasts longer. I haven't ever waited 3-4 years for my brand to catch up with the leader. I've never had anything break or wear out prematurely and the resale value of used Campy parts makes the cost of ownership quite reasonable. I've bought a few Record groupsets over the years, but never any Super Record. Now I only buy Chorus, that gives the best bang for the buck. The new Chorus 12 has the best shifting ever. I specifically got it for the new 48/32 crank and closely spaced 11-34 cassette.

I've owned a few custom wheelsets and used Mavic Ksyriums with the aluminum spokes on several bikes (the only spoke I ever broke). When I got back into cycling back in 2018 after 8 years off, I sold that 10 year old Mavic wheelset with one replaced spoke for a ridiculously high $275, which paid for most of one set of Zondas.
I hardly ever see Campy anywhere. Even on charity rides it's rare; at triathlons it's basically non-existent. It's certainly not "just my local shop".
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-31-20, 01:30 PM
WhyFi

...and closely spaced 11-34 cassette.
OT, but...
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-31-20, 01:50 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I hardly ever see Campy anywhere. Even on charity rides it's rare; at triathlons it's basically non-existent. It's certainly not "just my local shop".
Oh it's rare alright. That's what makes those of us who use it so special
Old 03-31-20, 01:54 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by WhyFi
OT, but...
He means 11-17

11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-29-34
Old 03-31-20, 02:01 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by kingston
He means 11-17

11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-29-34
Okay. I chose an 12-25 11-sp because it was closely spaced, though. I realize that I'm giving up a cog compared to him, but still.
Old 03-31-20, 02:06 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Oh it's rare alright. That's what makes those of us who use it so special
Dude just said it wasn't. At least you're speaking facts.
Old 03-31-20, 02:42 PM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Yeah, come to SoFla and you'll see plenty of tri-geeks that use not just regular Campagnolo but EPS, especially on Cervelos. It isn't as popular as ****mano but it's there.
Likes For kansukee:
Old 03-31-20, 02:46 PM
kansukee

Okay - so you *are* saying that a manufacturer's suggested price is no basis upon which to judge value, a leaky distribution system is a feature and things like local availability and warranty support should be neither here nor there w/r/t value, etc, etc.

Cool, cool - good to know.
No, he's saying that it's a bull**** reference point when anyone with half a working brain can go to any UK or German site and buy Campy for much less. I paid less than $1300 for a complete Record 12 group from merlin. So yes, going by the msrp doesn't make any sense.
Likes For kansukee:
Old 03-31-20, 02:50 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by kansukee
Yeah, come to SoFla
Thanks but no.

Also, per the Kona bike count, there were a total of nineteen bikes at Kona 2019 with Campy, total. That's out of nearly 2400, or in other words not quite eight tenths of a percent. Guess the SoFla bros are slow. That or all the Campy slows them down.

https://www.triathlete.com/events/ir...o-reign-again/
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-31-20, 02:51 PM
WhyFi

No, he's saying that it's a bull**** reference point when anyone with half a working brain can go to any UK or German site and buy Campy for much less. I paid less than $1300 for a complete Record 12 group from merlin. So yes, going by the msrp doesn't make any sense.
So a solid distribution and support network is a detriment when it comes to comparisons?

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-31-20, 02:52 PM
kansukee

Thanks but no.

Also, per the Kona bike count, there were a total of nineteen bikes at Kona 2019 with Campy, total. That's out of nearly 2400, or in other words not quite eight tenths of a percent. Guess the SoFla bros are slow. That or all the Campy slows them down.

https://www.triathlete.com/events/ir...o-reign-again/
Did I mention Kona *anywhere* in my comment? No. And I wouldn't live in Texas either, bro.
Likes For kansukee:
Old 03-31-20, 02:53 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Dude just said it wasn't. At least you're speaking facts.
And I agree the G3 wheels are hideous.
Old 03-31-20, 02:53 PM
kansukee

So a solid distribution and support network is a detriment when it comes to comparisons?

Straw man alert! Stop playing stupid.
Old 03-31-20, 02:56 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Did I mention Kona *anywhere* in my comment? No. And I wouldn't live in Texas either, bro.
Those are the numbers that are published. They're also an indication of what the people who know what they're doing are doing, and that's running not-Campy. Do you have literally any evidence to back up your assertions? Race pics? Anything?
Old 03-31-20, 03:03 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Those are the numbers that are published...
argumentum ad populum
Old 03-31-20, 03:05 PM
WhyFi

Straw man alert! Stop playing stupid.
Straw man alert? Y'all are comparing distribution inadequacies instead of products and their intended competition. They're hanging US retailers out to dry by not stopping gray market goods (which is probably why they're not too well represented in the US) and shortchanging US customers on support and y'all are listing that as a benefit. What's next - I know a guy that knows a guy that found some wheelsets that fell off the back of a truck, so therefor value should be established based upon that? Gimme a break.
Old 03-31-20, 03:07 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

argumentum ad populum
Why don't you tell that to everyone saying that Campy is common?
Old 03-31-20, 03:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
argumentum ad populum
Argumentum ad podium?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.