Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why Reinvent the Wheel? (aka another Campagnolo rant)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why Reinvent the Wheel? (aka another Campagnolo rant)

Old 03-31-20, 03:10 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
argumentum ad populum
The post you're responding to isn't saying that Campy's lack of popularity indicates that their stuff sucks, it's saying that Campy's lack of popularity is a thing that exists.
Old 03-31-20, 03:11 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Argumentum ad podium?
*golf clap*
Old 03-31-20, 03:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Straw man alert? Y'all are comparing distribution inadequacies instead of products and their intended competition. They're hanging US retailers out to dry by not stopping gray market goods (which is probably why they're not too well represented in the US) and shortchanging US customers on support and y'all are listing that as a benefit. What's next - I know a guy that knows a guy that found some wheelsets that fell off the back of a truck, so therefor value should be established based upon that? Gimme a break.
Difficult situation.. is it the manufacturer's responsibility to fix a country's horrible distribution efficiency? Go to eg. Merlin.com and instead pick the UK as the Delivery Country; you'll find Campy and Fulcrum pretty much just as value priced on the lower end (sub 400 pounds).
Old 03-31-20, 03:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,262 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Those are the numbers that are published. They're also an indication of what the people who know what they're doing are doing, and that's running not-Campy. Do you have literally any evidence to back up your assertions? Race pics? Anything?
Regardless of whether you're pro- or anti-Campy, using triathletes as an example of "people who know what they're doing" makes me laugh, given they're known for pissing (and ****ting) in their shorts to save time during a race.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-31-20, 03:25 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
OT, but...
Campy's 12 speed 11-34, is appropriately spaced, with the 11-17 straight block and the proper 19T following that. The 22-25-29-34 are as evenly spaced as possible. Shimano's 11-13-15-17 would drive a seasoned road rider crazy. Big jumps where you don't want them and too-small percentages between the largest sprockets. Shimano starts with a 15% jump instead of 8%. Campy ends with a 15% jump, which makes sense, since it's occurs when you're most likely pedaling in the 70-85 rpm range and the cadence difference between shifts is about 10 rpm. Works great for me on 12% grades, at age 66, with two knee replacements. Keeping my weight down to 138-142 helps with the climbing. When I was younger I usually weighed 134 in the season.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-31-20, 03:28 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
The post you're responding to isn't saying that Campy's lack of popularity indicates that their stuff sucks, it's saying that Campy's lack of popularity is a thing that exists.
In that case ignoratio elenchi
Old 03-31-20, 03:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by abshipp
But most importantly, they're hideous.

I thought Bontrager's paired spoke stuff was bad, but man...
It doesn't bother me that much.. an old pic with my Eurus wheelset. I know, I'm supposed to go wider so I'm more aero and my tires can be that much more comfy. Someday soon, I promise

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-31-20, 03:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,262 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Campy's 12 speed 11-34, is appropriately spaced, with the 11-17 straight block and the proper 19T following that. The 22-25-29-34 are as evenly spaced as possible. Shimano's 11-13-15-17 would drive a seasoned road rider crazy. Big jumps where you don't want them and too-small percentages between the largest sprockets. Shimano starts with a 15% jump instead of 8%. Campy ends with a 15% jump, which makes sense, since it's occurs when you're most likely pedaling in the 70-85 rpm range and the cadence difference between shifts is about 10 rpm. Works great for me on 12% grades, at age 66, with two knee replacements. Keeping my weight down to 138-142 helps with the climbing. When I was younger I usually weighed 134 in the season.
Maybe Shimano thinks most people who need a 34 tooth cassette are more interested in tight spacing on the low end rather than on the high end.
Old 03-31-20, 03:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The 22-25-29-34 are as evenly spaced as possible.
I'll buy "evenly" on an 11-34, but not "closely."
Old 03-31-20, 03:49 PM
DaveSSS 

I should revise my statement about people not looking beyond their local shop, by adding - for wheels, frames and groupsets. Looking at what people ride at your latest club ride or charity event are the same people who've never looked outside their local shop for anything, so they all ride Shimano or SRAM equipped bikes from Giant, Trek, Specialized or Cannondale. Nothing else exists for these folks. In case you haven't noticed, none of these brands sells a prebuilt bike with Campy. The last prebuilt bike I owned I bought in 1992, with Shimano 8 speed STI of course.

I've had 4 Colnagos, 4 LOOK, 1 Fondriest, 1 Tommasini, 1 Litespeed and 1 Cervelo, plus from the older days, 3 Cannondales and a Centurian. At least the newest Cannondale was one of those $400 frame-only specials that Cannondale used to offer, built up with Campy to make it respectable.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-31-20, 03:57 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I should revise my statement about people not looking beyond their local shop, by adding - for wheels, frames and groupsets. Looking at what people ride at your latest club ride or charity event are the same people who've never looked outside their local shop for anything, so they all ride Shimano or SRAM equipped bikes from Giant, Trek, Specialized or Cannondale. Nothing else exists for these folks. In case you haven't noticed, none of these brands sells a prebuilt bike with Campy. The last prebuilt bike I owned I bought in 1992, with Shimano 8 speed STI of course.

I've had 4 Colnagos, 4 LOOK, 1 Fondriest, 1 Tommasini, 1 Litespeed and 1 Cervelo, plus from the older days, 3 Cannondales and a Centurian. At least the newest Cannondale was one of those $400 frame-only specials that Cannondale used to offer, built up with Campy to make it respectable.
So you're saying Campy isn't rare, it's just rare in any large group of cyclists.

Ok.
Old 03-31-20, 04:05 PM
WhyFi

So you're saying Campy isn't rare, it's just rare in any large group of cyclists.

Ok.
No, no, no - he's just saying that it's only rare if you're looking at your local shop or with any cyclists that you personally know or may come in to contact with, that's all.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-31-20, 04:24 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I'll be the outlier here
In SoCal
1/2 to 1/3 of the riders in our Road group are on Campy, but not Campy wheels
Would not mind a set of WTO wheels, but Hunt, Reynolds, and ebay ZIPP wheels are what I ride on
Actually like the way Bora wheels look

Likes For RedBullFiXX:
Old 03-31-20, 04:30 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts

Ok.
No, no, no - he's just saying that it's only rare if you're looking at your local shop or with any cyclists that you personally know or may come in to contact with, that's all.
In my experience, Campagnolo is not that rare among people who build their own bikes. Among people who buy complete bikes, it's practically non-existent.
Likes For kingston:
Old 03-31-20, 04:35 PM
DaveSSS 

If you went on a group ride in Europe, the percentage of Campy equipped bikes would be much larger, just like the percentage of Mercedes, Porsche and Alfa Romeo cars on the road. So what you are lamely trying to imply is Campy is undesirable, like Mercedes, Porsche and Alfa Romeo, because you don't see a lot of them in the USA. Campy is not a particularly small company. The company is financially sound and sells all of the products that they have the capacity to make. They don't need to be the biggest to have exceptional quality.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-31-20, 04:38 PM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Straw man alert? Y'all are comparing distribution inadequacies instead of products and their intended competition. They're hanging US retailers out to dry by not stopping gray market goods (which is probably why they're not too well represented in the US) and shortchanging US customers on support and y'all are listing that as a benefit. What's next - I know a guy that knows a guy that found some wheelsets that fell off the back of a truck, so therefor value should be established based upon that? Gimme a break.
Nope, no one here is even talking about that except you. And this goes for every brand: only uninformed saps pay retail so why would I even make a price comparison using retail prices? That would be idiotic. I can buy Campagnolo from Europe for cheaper than my lbs here can order it at their cost, and faster to boot. Shimano used to be real cheap until they decided to not let the public in the U.S. buy it from other sources.

No one here is implying you should buy from someone at the back of a truck and you know it. I only buy from reputable places and make sure to price match whenever possible. It’s not that hard to do.
Likes For kansukee:
Old 03-31-20, 04:42 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
If you went on a group ride in Europe, the percentage of Campy equipped bikes would be much larger, just like the percentage of Mercedes, Porsche and Alfa Romeo cars on the road. So what you are lamely trying to imply is Campy is undesirable, like Mercedes, Porsche and Alfa Romeo, because you don't see a lot of them in the USA. Campy is not a particularly small company. The company is financially sound and sells all of the products that they have the capacity to make. They don't need to be the biggest to have exceptional quality.
Mercedes, Porsche and Alfa Romeo cars are quite popular here, perhaps if you used, Skoda, Opel and Citroen as examples
Likes For RedBullFiXX:
Old 03-31-20, 04:43 PM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Those are the numbers that are published. They're also an indication of what the people who know what they're doing are doing, and that's running not-Campy. Do you have literally any evidence to back up your assertions? Race pics? Anything?
I can turn that around and ask you for pics to back up anything you say. See how easy that is? I do 10-12k miles a year and I have seen many triathletes running Campy and I know a few of them. But then the ones that do tend to be techy types for some reason (same as me) and we appreciate quality, great engineering and high resale value.
Likes For kansukee:
Old 03-31-20, 04:51 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Cost-per-quality, not quality...
Yes, exactly. And we are talking about wheels here, where Campagnolo cost per quality is, objectively (or somewhat objectively), excellent.

So I should be impressed by the Scirocco Disc, with its $680 msrp, 1740g, and very limited tubeless compatibility? And then wowed but the Zonda Disc, a $900 MSRP wheelset weighing in at 1675g, with no tubeless compatibility, and wide-for-a-decade-ago 17mm interior rim width? And then absolutely blown over by the Shamal Ultra Disc, a $1500, ~1600g wheelset with 30mm deep, 22.5mm wide aluminum rims?
Nobody is paying those prices. See below for more. And the fact that you can find them at prices less than MSRP isn't somehow indicative of a "leaky distribution network."

@WhyFi This isn't about facts, quality, or value. Campagnolo are artisans from Yurope, everything else is terrible and awful.
Right, because it's so cool to belittle anyone that took the time to learn a craft, or a skill or a trade. Respecting people who have mastered a difficult job is for losers, right? It's like that "About Us" video on the Enve website that actively and strongly discourages me from ever buying their products.

I'm just not really sure how to respond to the implication that non-Campy hubs are generally poorly-serviceable, don't perform exceptionally, aren't durable, and are expensive.

The hub market seems to have this weird issue where a few of the boutique brands are unreliable, and as a consequence, some people seem to assume that the market as a whole is a catastrophic mine field where it's difficult to find anything that works great. It is not. Wheel bearings and spoke drilling and attaching a wheel to a bicycle are all problems that were mostly solved a century ago. A few designers have chosen to un-solve them, but by and large, stuff works.
I just don't understand what problems I'm supposed to be experiencing here as a consequence of not using adjustable-bearing Campy hubs. What the "little more" is that I'm supposed to expect if I would only use Campy hubs instead of other brands.

In the case of ENVE specifically, I would say that it's a complicated issue that depends significantly on what you're doing with the wheels, and possibly even what specific tires you want to use. And, of course, on how you value the dollar.

In 2020, 17mm internal on a clincher is narrow.
In the course of doing some research and shopping around, I saw a lot more hub related complaints pertaining to other brands, so that is where it's coming from. The main culprit here is Mavic, who are a big name in the market and a major competitor to Campagnolo. I don't see how anyone can do even the slightest bit of research about their stuff and still decide to buy them, especially considering the price compared to another major brand like Campagnolo.

Even with some of the smaller or more specialized brands, there aren't too many issues with initial quality, but plenty of complaints about longer term issues and premature failure (and related issues with servicing and spares).

As for ENVE, their top of the line (or at least much more expensive than Campagnolo equivalent) carbon deep rims come will steel cartridge bearings. Yeah, yeah, they are "fine" and good enough, but why pay more for less?

Lastly, on Zonda width, as someone pointed out they can actually handle tires that are way wider than most would even consider for a performance road wheel. Again, 1550g, excellent braking performance (rim), top quality loose ball hubs, nearly indestructible construction, for $350.

Those commenting on the MSRP of Campy wheels are grasping at straws, trying to disprove their value. The last set of zondas I bought cost $320, delivered from pro bike kit. I had considered buying shamals, but they were only 100g lighter with the same 16/21 spoke count, but aluminum spokes, and carbon fiber hub shells at more than twice the price. Shamals can be had for half the price that someone quoted - $745 from pro bike kit.
Exactly. The actual prices are very, very competitive right now, and for the carbon stuff as well.
Old 03-31-20, 04:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Regardless of whether you're pro- or anti-Campy, using triathletes as an example of "people who know what they're doing" makes me laugh, given they're known for pissing (and ****ting) in their shorts to save time during a race.
I agree that having to go can motivate you to drope the hamer.
Old 03-31-20, 04:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I agree that having to go can motivate you to drope the hamer.
I thought the euphemism was "pinching the loaf"?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-31-20, 05:27 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Hi! What’s this thread about?
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-31-20, 05:40 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by datlas
Hi! What’s this thread about?
It's about the greatness of Campy wheels if you shun disc brakes, don't value modern rim dimensions, aren't interested in tubeless compatibility, like hideous spoke patterns, accept the gray market as true arbiters of value and are a lone wolf - AHHOOOOOOO!!! - road cyclist.
Old 03-31-20, 05:57 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by kansukee
I can turn that around and ask you for pics to back up anything you say. See how easy that is? I do 10-12k miles a year and I have seen many triathletes running Campy and I know a few of them. But then the ones that do tend to be techy types for some reason (same as me) and we appreciate quality, great engineering and high resale value.
I posted numbers. You posted nothing, so there's nothing to "turn around". Cute, though.