Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hello Guys! Newbie looking for a first road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 11:18 AM
PapoRoad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Everybody, nice to meet you . I come from MTB background mainly downhill and enduro, and I'm looking to get a road bike to aid in training and also for fun, and a different kind of riding I'm used to. I have been looking at my options and due to pricing, carbon is out of the question so I have to go with an alu bike. It has to have discs and through axles. I was looking at a discounted GT GTR Sport. I know its a very basic bike, but if the frame is good, its upgrade-able over time. (Thinking of upgrading group to 105). What are your thoughts on buying a basic bike/frame and upgrading components? I also saw a Caad13 alu with 105, but its quite more than the GT with upgraded 105 (think almost double).

Cheers and hope everyone stays safe.

Last edited by PapoRoad; 04-06-20 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old 04-06-20, 12:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,024 Times in 4,468 Posts
That GT looks like a reasonable bike to get started with but I don't think it bears a lot of upgrading. The Cannondale is probably a better frame and probably lighter, too, if that matters to you.
GT used to have a larger presence here and they had some high end bikes. Now, I don't know about their warranty or reputation.
Old 04-06-20, 12:41 PM
PapoRoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
That GT looks like a reasonable bike to get started with but I don't think it bears a lot of upgrading. The Cannondale is probably a better frame and probably lighter, too, if that matters to you.
GT used to have a larger presence here and they had some high end bikes. Now, I don't know about their warranty or reputation.
Thanks for the input! In that case, what "cheap/basic - ish" alu frame could be worth upgrading to 105 sooner rather than later?

Thanks for the comments!
Old 04-06-20, 12:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,024 Times in 4,468 Posts
I think there are a lot of good aluminum frames out there but I don't know your definition of "cheap". I think that Cannondale is good frame and I'm sure any of the major brands have good frames, too. I don't have anything bad to say about that GT and I did read a quick review on line which was favorable. I just don't know much about them.
Have you looked at Bikes Direct? How about the consumer direct brands like Fezarri?
Old 04-06-20, 01:21 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by PapoRoad
Hey Everybody, nice to meet you . I come from MTB background mainly downhill and enduro, and I'm looking to get a road bike to aid in training and also for fun, and a different kind of riding I'm used to. I have been looking at my options and due to pricing, carbon is out of the question so I have to go with an alu bike. It has to have discs and through axles. I was looking at a discounted GT GTR Sport. I know its a very basic bike, but if the frame is good, its upgrade-able over time. (Thinking of upgrading group to 105). What are your thoughts on buying a basic bike/frame and upgrading components? I also saw a Caad13 alu with 105, but its quite more than the GT with upgraded 105 (think almost double).

Cheers and hope everyone stays safe.
A question and a comment.
1. Why does your new bike have to have discs and through axles? I ask because these were not too common on road bikes, and even currently, not all road bikes have them.
2. From what I know, buying a basic bike and upgrading components is usually more expensive than buying a bike with the level of components you are looking for to start with.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-06-20, 02:17 PM
PapoRoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I think there are a lot of good aluminum frames out there but I don't know your definition of "cheap". I think that Cannondale is good frame and I'm sure any of the major brands have good frames, too. I don't have anything bad to say about that GT and I did read a quick review on line which was favorable. I just don't know much about them.
Have you looked at Bikes Direct? How about the consumer direct brands like Fezarri?
I also read a quick review of the GT that was favourable aswell. Consumer direct brands are a good option I have passed on, I'll take a look at it!

Originally Posted by MRT2
A question and a comment.
1. Why does your new bike have to have discs and through axles? I ask because these were not too common on road bikes, and even currently, not all road bikes have them.
2. From what I know, buying a basic bike and upgrading components is usually more expensive than buying a bike with the level of components you are looking for to start with.
1. Just personal preferences. As I come from the mtb world, these are standard features for any of my bikes when possible, it just gives me that extra confidence. Maybe they're overkill for the use I'll give it (not the brakes though hehehe), but alas, don't we all want something we personally like?

2. I have to agree, but the thing is where I live a 105 disc road bike will be a lot more than a cheaper frame with a 105 on it that a friend has for quite the good price.
Old 04-07-20, 08:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
1. Just personal preferences. As I come from the mtb world, these are standard features for any of my bikes when possible, it just gives me that extra confidence. Maybe they're overkill for the use I'll give it (not the brakes though hehehe), but alas, don't we all want something we personally like?
Yes, and a lot of off-road vehicles have 4WD .... and so do a lot of road-going SUVs which will never see even dirty pavement, let alone dirt. $WD is a necessity if you are going off-road---it is an expensive waste if not.

Discs are good, but rim brakes can lock up the tires, so ... if your bike is going over budget just so you can have discs, you would be far better off getting everything else better and using rim brakes than getting less of everything else ... because you would likely also get crappy disc brakes.

I have what are supposed to be the industry standard in mechanical discs, Spyre SLCs, on my Fuji. They are on par with 105 or Ultegra rim brakes. i do feel safer in the wet and in traffic because of the millisecond of more immediate response .... but that also means they lock more easily. Hydro discs are excellent, and you can stop with a finger .... but you will also have to pay for them.

Of course, you can always upgrade. As MRT2 notes, you will pay a lot more doing a piece-by-piece upgrade instead of just buying the bike you want right away.

2. I have to agree, but the thing is where I live a 105 disc road bike will be a lot more than a cheaper frame with a 105 on it that a friend has for quite the good price.
So quit messing around and buy your friend's bike.
Old 04-07-20, 09:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If you want TAs and disc brakes, definitely get TAs and disc brakes, 'specially if it's a bike that you want to hold on to for a while. You already know that they're ubiquitous in the MTB world and it's quickly heading in that direction for road, too.