Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding close to the white line?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 05:31 PM
Stateguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wanted to ask a question with bicyclists riding on a highway
Why do they ride so close to the white line. When the shoulder is 6-8 ft wide
only thing I can think of is maybe debris is closer to the curb line. Because I see this all the time with cyclists
Old 04-08-20, 05:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Shoulders are usually filled with gravel and debris. I ride in the traffic lane. And if it's only two lane, then I get in the middle of my lane when there is oncoming traffic so other motor vehicles behind me don't try to squeeze by with insufficient clearance from me. With few exceptions, most motorist seem to understand or at least tolerate it around where I ride.

Riding in the shoulder just confuses the right-of-way issues.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-08-20 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-08-20, 09:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Flat tires, but also safety as speed goes up- riding 30 mph on the shoulder is stupid.

Cars don't drive on the shoulder, but bikes should?
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-08-20, 09:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Stateguy
only thing I can think of is maybe debris is closer to the curb line. Because I see this all the time with cyclists
Yes
Old 04-08-20, 10:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Cars blow debris about three feet away from the typical car tire path, so many of us ride about two and a half from that tire path to stay out of the debris. Where this ends up being vs the white line varies as that line is often not a big concern of drivers. On a curvy road, drivers will typically hug the inside, so on left hand turns, be far from the white line or road edge whereas they will tend to hug those lines on right hand turns. (When that line defines a bike lane, you will notice that on left hand turns, often the entire bike lane is filled with debris. Cars often wear the bike lane stripe right off on right hand turns.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-08-20, 11:25 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
There's also the slope of the road- debris tends to wash down off the inside shoulder,

wind, gravel from trucks. bottle tossers, sloppy trash pickup, eroding banks, and on.

Stuff that's insignificant to motorists and car tires can be major to a cyclist.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-08-20, 11:36 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
The two or three feet beside the fog line are effectively cleaned by drivers who are texting and drifting out of their lane. I often see semis drifting over the line after they pass me - no idea why.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 04-08-20, 11:39 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Riding too far to the right can limit a rider’s ability to avoid a car pulling out or turning right in front of the rider.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 04-09-20, 01:31 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
If there are parked cars, you need to allow for opening doors and pedestrians diving out from between them too.
Old 04-09-20, 04:54 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
First of all, do not ride on a limited access highway, it's too dangerous, and illegal in most araes.
I commuted on a highway for 5 years, the shoulders always had lots debris in them. I would ride so my left shoulder was at or near the white line. I would have the occasional close pass, but for the most part I rode without incident.
Old 04-09-20, 06:44 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
As mentioned, debris. I never ride on the shoulder (most roads around here don't have shoulders anyway, so not really an issue lol).

I also don't hug the white line, I've found that hugging the line encourages drivers to squeeze past me while staying in the lane, whereas if I am a couple of feet off the line they'll actually give me some room when they pass.
Old 04-09-20, 07:38 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
On backroads I often ride on the white line because it's often smoother and of course it's easier to see debris on a white background.
Old 04-09-20, 09:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I also don't hug the white line, I've found that hugging the line encourages drivers to squeeze past me while staying in the lane, whereas if I am a couple of feet off the line they'll actually give me some room when they pass.
I have found this also.
Old 04-09-20, 09:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
First of all, do not ride on a limited access highway, it's too dangerous, and illegal in most araes.
I commuted on a highway for 5 years, the shoulders always had lots debris in them. I would ride so my left shoulder was at or near the white line. I would have the occasional close pass, but for the most part I rode without incident.
I've ridden several stretches interstates out of necessity and one because the alternative had the potential for a fair amount of traffic and no shoulder. I didn't find them that bad at all. Just a necessary evil for a few miles. Me about to get on I-90 in western Montana last year. Had to do two stretches the first day and one the second day. Second year I had ridden them. The neat thing was that last year the second two were closed to motor vehicles in preparation for bridge work. I had the westbound lanes all to myself. (All Interstate mileage in the state is bike legal.) Stayed as far right as practical. Most of the trucker were veery courteous and moved over to the left.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-20, 09:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
There are a few stretches of interstate where bicycle travel is permitted. Montana might be one of them where it's permitted. While I fully defend my right to the full lane. I'll only do so on roads where I'm permitted to be.
Old 04-09-20, 09:22 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Some paving at/near the shoulder can have more than just debris.

At side streets and driveway cuts, a homeowner or group of them can work up a pretty deep pothole.

If you commit to riding to the the right of the "fog line", motorists get confused if you swerve into "their" lane when you encounter glass, potholes, or large branches.

That said , I'll try to ride on a well paved shoulder and leave the main lane clear.
Old 04-09-20, 09:24 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Stateguy
You said it. If you don't ride on it while you drive your car, cyclists won't do it either.

I use shoulders when they are 100% clean. Otherwise, I ride close to the white line.
Old 04-09-20, 09:35 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Stayed as far right as practical. Most of the trucker were veery courteous and moved over to the left.
Take the lane.
Old 04-09-20, 12:57 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Take the lane.
I actually did ride somewhat in the lane on I-94 in North Dakota whenever the shoulder was crappy. It was early in the morning in the middle of nowhere. Think we got passed by maybe two cars in about 8 miles of road bike riding.
Old 04-09-20, 01:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3224 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
There’s been for as long as I’ve been cycling a theory to be “visible”. That only partly has anything to do with the jersey color or a red blinking light, but can also mean to position yourself to be seen and recognized by a motorist. Riding on the right side/outer portion of a shoulder tends to put you in an “out of sight, out of mind” location for a motorist and they take no further action to avoid you. If you position yourself just to the right of the white line, but not actually in the lane of traffic (unless you need to be), but also not all the way over near the side of the pavement, a motorist now has to account for for your presence on the road and tends to move left to avoid you, not every driver does this, but many do. Near the white line has generally been thought of as a safer place to be.
Old 04-09-20, 02:31 PM
Chubby715

Bikes: Cervelo R5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
I've always ridden just to the right of the white line. In my neck of the woods the bike lanes / shoulders range in width from 1-3 feet, so there's not much space. These are single lane roads, but the majority of drivers usually follow the "3 foot" rule when passing a cyclist.
Old 04-09-20, 02:39 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I've ridden several stretches interstates out of necessity and one because the alternative had the potential for a fair amount of traffic and no shoulder. I didn't find them that bad at all. Just a necessary evil for a few miles. Me about to get on I-90 in western Montana last year. Had to do two stretches the first day and one the second day. Second year I had ridden them. The neat thing was that last year the second two were closed to motor vehicles in preparation for bridge work. I had the westbound lanes all to myself. (All Interstate mileage in the state is bike legal.) Stayed as far right as practical. Most of the trucker were veery courteous and moved over to the left.

50,000 SILVER $.

Also, I think I ran from the highway patrol on that frontage road once.
Old 04-09-20, 02:45 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Cypress
50,000 SILVER $.
Know exactly where it is. Was near it in 2017, but in 2019 I climbed Gold Pass from St. Regis into ID and then went down the St. Joe to Avery to pick up the Hiawatha Trail.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-20, 06:22 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Take the lane.
Michigan law;
"A person operating a bicycle upon a highway or street at less than the existing speed of traffic shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except as follows: ... When riding as near the left-hand curb or edge as practicable on a one-way highway or street."
Also, 6-8 ft shoulders? They'd be a luxury around here. More often than not it's more l ike18-24" .. or less on the roads I ride.
​​​​​

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 04-09-20 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 04-09-20, 08:56 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Seeing a car cannot legally cross the fog line and bikes are supposed to follow the rules of the road should we not also stay to the left of the fog line?
Likes For Bmach:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.