Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Latex tubes and GP5000's??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 11:25 AM
wirides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

I have a new Cannondale Synapse that came with Vittoria Rubino Pro's 700 x 28. I am considering switching to 32c GP5000's with latex tubes. Do you think the switch will make any appreciable difference to be worth the expense? Are latex tubes more hassle than they are worth? It's hard to find consistent opinions on them.
Old 04-11-20, 11:34 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I think with a super supple tire latex would be great. I would swap to Vittoria Corsa G2s and use latex there if I was looking to go latex. Me personally I am fine on butyl tubes or I would just go tubeless. I do think the GP5000s are great tires but I haven't found them to be as soft and supple as the open tubular varieties from say Vittoria or Challenge and others. From what I understand latex makes more sense if it can move and flex a bit more and in a stiffer tire it won't be able to do that and therefore the benefits aside from weight are negated.
Old 04-11-20, 01:31 PM
wirides

I'm not necessarily looking to go latex but searching for the best overall combo. The benefits of a wider tire are pretty clear while tube benefits, not so much.
Old 04-11-20, 01:45 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Like all of these kinds of changes, it depends on what kind of and what style of riding you do. Latex tubes have a more supple feel, but that depends on the tires. I have no experience with GP5000's. Latex tubes are lighter but, in my experience, they also flat easier. and need quality tires that are in real good condition. Does the weight and feel make them worth the extra cost? Only you can decide that.
Old 04-11-20, 02:52 PM
qajaq

Bikes: TREK Domane 5.2 Giant Defy Wilier Triestina Cento

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just changed from Vittoria Rubino Pro's 700 x 28 to Conti GP5000TL (tubeless) on a new Wilier Treistina. To me the difference was definitely worth it. I wouldn't bother with latex tubes at all. Others surely have differing opinions but that doesn't mean anyone is wrong.

Just have to be certain that 32's will fit your bike and your wheels are tubeless compatible. Most likely your new Synapse will be fine on both counts. Road tubeless isn't that difficult in most cases.

Plenty advise on how to do it on this site and elsewhere. At 180lbs I've run tire pressure as low as 70 psi for a fairly plush ride and no problems.
Old 04-11-20, 03:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
It's been a while since I considered latex, so not sure of the answer, but are there latex tubes covering a 32mm width tire?
Old 04-11-20, 04:34 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by wirides
I have a new Cannondale Synapse that came with Vittoria Rubino Pro's 700 x 28. I am considering switching to 32c GP5000's with latex tubes. Do you think the switch will make any appreciable difference to be worth the expense? Are latex tubes more hassle than they are worth? It's hard to find consistent opinions on them.
Yes... HUGE!

Those same tires that came on my Optimo 105. I ran them for ~1000 miles and thought to myself “there has to be something better than this”. At first, I was weary of upgrading to a “racier” tire for fear of less durability and more flats. I finally decided to try them out, frustrated with how poorly the Rubino slicks cornered and rode. After man-handling the Contis onto my wheels (I could remove and install the Rubinos with just my hands, the Contis required two levers for me to mount), I went for a century ride to put them through their paces. Far better grip, much more supple casing, giving them a much improved ride, and they just seemed “faster”.

I now have around the same amount of miles on the GP5ks as I do on the Pros, and actually have had less flat tires.

I wouldn’t hesitate to make the switch, and once you do, you’ll never go back,
Old 04-11-20, 05:02 PM
wirides

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It's been a while since I considered latex, so not sure of the answer, but are there latex tubes covering a 32mm width tire?
https://www.amazon.com/Vittoria-Comp...7DS?th=1&psc=1

I belive these are for the wider tires, no?
Old 04-11-20, 10:20 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by wirides
I'm not necessarily looking to go latex but searching for the best overall combo. The benefits of a wider tire are pretty clear while tube benefits, not so much.
I think the biggest issue you'll find is finding latex tires specified for 32mm wide tires. The common ones I used in the past were available only for smaller tires, and I'd hesitate to stretch them out to a 32mm tire. Edit: just saw the link to the tubes above that would cover 32mm, but for me they'd still be useless, as I need 60mm valve stems and don't like extenders.

I've used latex tubes many times before with tires like 25mm Conti GP4K and noticed an improvement in the feel. I'd have no a priori reason to believe that wouldn't carry over to the GP5K. Latex were a little more troublesome than butyl tubes, but I liked them. I didn't use them consistently, but bounced back and forth between them and butyl.

I'm currently using the CX-sized Tubolito tubes on my bike with my Compass 32mm tires and quite like them. They hold air better even than butyl tubes, and definitely way better than latex. I always topped the air off on my bike every day before a ride, but if I topped off the day before I usually won't bother with the Tubolitos, and even a week later I'm only down like 3-5psi. They're much lighter than butyl, also thinner, and feel very much like latex tubes. Their primary drawback is that you have to sell your second kidney to buy them, at like $35 a pop. One I bought was bad out of the box (slow leak from the base of the valve stem), I've since replaced it, and haven't had a flat with one yet, though flats for me are seldom enough that I'm not sure I should have expected one by now. They do feel nice though.

Last edited by SethAZ; 04-11-20 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 12:13 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Are your wheels tubeless ready? If so forget about inner tubes and get the GP5000TL and go tubeless.
Old 04-12-20, 05:22 AM
wirides

The wheels are Fulcrum Racing 600 DB. I definitely have to give more consideration to tubeless.
Old 04-12-20, 07:21 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Having ridden sew-ups for forty years I just made the switch to clinchers a few years ago. At first I wasn't crazy about them -- vittoria high end in both cases. Then I switched to latex tubes. My gosh what a difference. Still not tubs but darn close. This was on an F8 in 23 width and now 25.

Last edited by dmanders; 04-12-20 at 07:26 AM.