Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone else Zwifting on fixed gears?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 04-10-20, 09:12 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

Since COVID has delayed (and maybe ended) track season, I put the track bike on the trainer so I could prep the road bike for real rides. I then did my daily "Fake morning commute" 10-mile ride on Zwift, and it was a really surprising difference.

First, it seemed MUCH easier to maintain a higher average power output (my estimated FTP rose 25% from 2 days ago, so that wasn't all me). I'm guessing that's attributed t (in order):
  • No power lost because of chainline angle
  • No power lost shifting
  • Me just generally feeling groovy and digging it
  • No power lost freewheeling / coasting for seconds here and there
  • Less shifting around (Because my track bike has no hoods)?
My gearing was 48/15, since that's what everyone at our track is required to ride until Cat3. That was absolutely fine, with plenty of room past what I was capable of sustaining, though I wasn't going to catch that 800w achievement on it--at least not on the flats.

Now this was all on a remarkably flat course. I imagine on hills (unless I turn on ERG mode), it's going to be a very, very different beast. SUPER-fun so far.
Old 04-10-20, 10:02 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
If the gear is appropriate for the terrain, it should be no problem.
Old 04-24-20, 11:09 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have been riding my track bike on Zwift for a few years now. I slide the difficulty feature to the off position so it is basically like riding a flat road; the resistance doesn’t vary based on elevation. Fixed gear bikes are more efficient than bikes with multiple gearing.