Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

arm coolers

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

arm coolers

Old 04-26-20, 09:45 AM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
arm coolers

Thought I'd start a separate post as a member shared using arm coolers. I wanted to keep those comments in one spot.

So what has your experience been with this gear?
-- is it really cooler?
-- any difficulties with them?
Old 04-26-20, 11:38 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
You talking about sun sleeves? Well, they are certainly not "arm coolers." As long as you're moving and not climbing at 8 mph with a 8 mph tailwind, sweat dripping off your nose onto your top tube, they're no hotter than bare arms. The big deal is no sunscreen on the arms. That's pretty nice. If you are in that tailwind condition, easy to pull them down and back up for the descent. I wear them whenever there will or might be sun, all non-winter temperatures. In spring, I often wear them under my arm warmers so I can pull the arm warmers down and not need sun protection. I don't use them on my legs.

That BS about "Cool Black" is BS. Black is not cool no matter what they say. I use Voler or Pearl Izumi sun sleeves. They're both very good.
Old 04-26-20, 11:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
I use them. Some are cooler than others. Are they are cooler than nothing at all? Probably not and with many caveats. Their main purpose IMO is to keep the UV off you without having to slather sunscreen all over your arms. At least that's why I use them.

Here is some more opinion based on the inexpensive brands I've used... Pearl Izumi and Nike.

Cooling is a variable factor two things. How fast you are going and how much sweat keeps them moist. Though even when first put on and dry, the Pearl Izumi pair seems to feel cooler when moving.

If I'm going 16 mph or better and sweating, they work great. However so do bare arms, but then there is that UV/skin cancer vs lotion you might not like some aspect off.

When I slow down on hills, there are times that when speed drops below 10 maybe 12 mph that they can be noticeably working against your bodies efforts to stay cool. Have not had to do it, but I've considered pulling them down just till at speed again.

If I stop for any period of time when it's hot out, say 95° F or better then I'm pulling them down for cooling. As well I remove my helmet.

For me they work well, I've never been one to enjoy putting sunscreen on every exposed surface of my body. And these let me avoid that. I just put a little sunscreen on my ears and between my knee to my shorts which is about the only other place I seem to get sun when riding.
Old 04-27-20, 12:41 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I wear light colored sleeves on hot days, not cooler but I prefer them to sunscreen, and they offer more material to wipe sweat as an added bonus
Old 04-27-20, 02:47 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The Specialized are my favorite (softest), followed very closely be De Soto. They're definitely not as comfortable as nothing, but it does cut down on the sunblock usage.
Old 04-28-20, 06:54 AM
kasncart

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Light colored sleeves are better in hot sunny days.
Old 04-29-20, 10:44 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I found in old bike equipment a pair of solbari arm sleeves. But there material simply does not breath well enough for me.

I have a ton of short sleeve jerseys that were my go to attire before more and more skin spots started showing up. yesterday I cheated and used a long sleeve bourne jersey and that was most comfortable with no need for lotion.
Old 04-30-20, 11:45 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I used sun sleeves for several years and they work quite well. However, the past few years most of my warm weather riding has been in either the morning or evening so I haven't used them in a while.