Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lynskey Helix Pro or Allez Sprint?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-04-20, 10:17 AM
evosil98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey everyone,

Longtime MTB'er and BMX'er, first time going into road bike. I am falling in love with the sport.

I am thinking of purchasing either the Lynskey Helix Pro or Allez Sprint. Not sure which one I should get. I can get them for generally the same price with discounts.

I want to use it for racing Crit and other races. Thanks!

Last edited by evosil98; 05-04-20 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 01:40 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by evosil98
Hey everyone,

Longtime MTB'er and BMX'er, first time going into road bike. I am falling in love with the sport.

I am thinking purchasing either the Lynskey Helix Pro or Allez Sprint. Not sure which one I should get. I can get them for generally the same price with discounts.

Well the Allez Sprint is actually made for Crit racing

Couldn't say what the Lynskey is about ?
Old 05-04-20, 01:56 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
They are both race bikes with race geometry. Both come with the same components, Shimano 105 (if that is what you are getting). The difference is frame material. Titanium has been used less often in race bikes than aluminum. There are a multitude of reasons but none-the-less aluminum is the material of choice for race bikes made of metal.

I suspect that the Specialized frame will be stiffer which is preferable in racing frames, so I would pick this one.
Old 05-04-20, 09:18 PM
evosil98

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-04-20, 10:50 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
These were the two bikes I cross-shopped. I ended up with the Allez Sprint since I got a better deal on it. It's my only road bike experience, but it's easy to sense that it's overly stiff when traversing imperfect pavement. I suggest adding tubeless wheels asap- if you go that route. It takes a significant amount of the harshness out. Also, there's a bunch of toe overlap on this bike.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 05-04-20, 11:02 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
These were the two bikes I cross-shopped. I ended up with the Allez Sprint since I got a better deal on it. It's my only road bike experience, but it's easy to sense that it's overly stiff when traversing imperfect pavement. I suggest adding tubeless wheels asap- if you go that route. It takes a significant amount of the harshness out. Also, there's a bunch of toe overlap on this bike.
+1

I also highly recommend getting the disc version so you can fit at least 28s in the front and rear. Rim brake version has no issues with a 28 in the rear, and can barely fit a 28 with 1.5-2mm to spare.

Also the seatpost on this bike has 15ish mm of setback stock. The only way to get further forward (if necessary) is a chinese seatpost.

I would actually recommend having a training, shallow (25mm), narrow, alloy wheelset with 32mm tires and a separate racing wheelset with 28s.

Last edited by smashndash; 05-04-20 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 11:38 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
For crits, maybe the Allez - but I have a Sportive (designed more for comfort and racing), and i have had some very fast long rides on it - no issues staying with the A group. I can imagine that Helix would be even better.
Old 05-04-20, 11:58 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing either the Lynskey Helix Pro or Allez Sprint. Not sure which one I should get. I can get them for generally the same price with discounts.

I say get the titanium bike. The Helix is unique in the tube profiles and you will stand out. Write to Lynskey if you want more discussion on what they would suggest for you.
Old 05-05-20, 11:14 AM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Hey everyone,

I would also recommend attending a race, talk to the racers, maybe someone will let you ride their bike
Allez Sprint is one of the most popular crit bikes for a reason
Old 05-05-20, 01:57 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I have an Allez Sprint. It's a perfectly fine bike, and I've done plenty of long rides on it and a few races - my race priorities changed after I got it.

I also have a friend with one who complains it's the stiffest and harshest bike he's ever ridden.
Old 05-07-20, 06:56 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I say get the titanium bike. The Helix is unique in the tube profiles and you will stand out. Write to Lynskey if you want more discussion on what they would suggest for you.
not sure how they compare in price but that being ssid.
go ti.
it is just way cooler.
🤠
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 05-09-20, 04:01 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I have no experience with either. But, a friend who was an LBS owner and a rep for companies like Bianchi, Speedplay, Lezyne, etc. and has been in the business for 40 yrs. says the ride quality of TI is excellent.
Old 05-09-20, 03:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
I've been more than satisfied with my Lynskey but I would choose the Allez for crits. Not that I would participate in a crit.... Anyway, you are probably going to wreck and break your bike. It would seem a shame to lose a Lynskey to a Cat 5 crit.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-10-20, 04:12 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Anyway, you are probably going to wreck and break your bike. It would seem a shame to lose a Lynskey to a Cat 5 crit.
This.

if you want a bike Specifically for crit racing, get the harshest, stiffest, least comfortable bike you can ... and be prepared to get it banged up.

Crit racing will hurt so much you won't care about vibration or compliance or any of that ... you will only care about catching the next attack. And it is likely you will crash .... or someone will crash you. A very stiff, reasonably cheap and very durable frame is Exactly what you want for crits.

Buy Ti for its ride quality, and yes, of course you can race it ... it should make a great road-racer. And it should be an absolute joy on long training rides, where you will be glad that the road isn't hurting you, because you are already hurting yourself. But I wouldn't take a Ti frame to some event where I had a 1-in-five chance of hitting the pavement.
Old 05-10-20, 05:58 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 910 Posts
Buy what you can afford to crash.

Especially, in crits. Especially, starting out.

Consider cheap and used.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-10-20, 07:47 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
The titanium bike may be more survivable than a weaker aluminum frame. Since crashes are real in a crit, get the stronger bike. That would be titanium vs aluminum.
Old 05-10-20, 01:20 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I think the probability of damaging your frame in a crash is extremely low. I’ve crashed my allez sprint 4 or 5 times now (never in a race, knock wood) and the only damage it ever sustained was when someone else fell onto my seatstay and dented it (I stayed upright).

You shouldn’t choose a bike based on crash survivability, assuming your price point is set. Especially you’re not looking at carbon. However, I highly recommend getting alloy bars and a low end saddle 😅
Old 05-10-20, 05:14 PM
evosil98

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I appreciate the replies.

The new CAAD 13 is looking like a great crit bike as well.
Likes For evosil98: