Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM RED brakes leaking

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM RED brakes leaking

Old 05-03-20, 10:13 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I have Rival CX1 on my SuperX and it's great. It's my "winter" and foul weather bike so the cost of replacing the drivetrain is about the same as a Red cassette. Since we both live on Long Island we know there are no mountains so replacing the 11-28 with a 11-32 means there's nothing I can't get up with a 40T in the front.

There is no single bike that does everything, so we can't assume there's a drivetrain that does everything. There's certainly a place for 1x but it's not for everyone.
I'm an upstate ny transplant with most of my family living along lake Ontario in an area so hilly the seaway trail travels an extra 20 miles to go around it and I like to visit them. When it comes to gravel, road or cross I need my gear range since I travel and the bike with me. I keep the MTB geared low enough that I don't come close to using the easiest gear but know I will at times and don't want to swap things around.
Old 05-03-20, 10:40 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
leaking brakes is far less common than a broken or seized cable.
Realistically, disks are relatively new to road. It's going to be interesting to see how poorly maintained hydro fare vs poorly maintained rim brakes over time

​​
Old 05-03-20, 11:04 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Realistically, disks are relatively new to road. It's going to be interesting to see how poorly maintained hydro fare vs poorly maintained rim brakes over time

​​
They'll probably have the same track record as mountain hydraulic brakes(which is very good). I see many 10 year old mountain bikes that have been poorly maintained(10 year old fluid), and after a bleed they work like new again.

Leaking brakes just isn't a common issue. Like I said in the first post, "sounds like a problem caused by a mechanic or factory assembly worker".
Old 05-05-20, 11:24 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
No issues with SRAM or Shimano
Wireless is cleaner, easier to install, hoses are no maintenance, and that is nice too
Prefer the feel of SRAM, but i guess that just comes down to personal preference