Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A little advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 11:53 AM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
A little advice?

Hi fellow Bike Forums folks, I am a lucky guy who was recently given a 1986 Team Fuji frameset by a fellow BF member. This will be my first time building up a bike with 700-sized wheels. As all my bikes are older and use 27" rims, and I am blundering around looking for an inexpensive wheelset that uses rim braking. The bike originally came as follows: Freewheel - 6-Speed Suntour Winner, Hubs - Suntour Cyclone (Sealed; 36 hole), Brakes - Dia-Compe 500 GX calipers, Rims - Ukai 700C alloy gunmetal, Tires - Vittoria Zaffiro

Could any of you let me have the benefit of your advice and any recommendations? I saw these Aeromax ones on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XOJD9A...v_ov_lig_dp_it
- but Fakespot (a web service that checks the likely accuracy of reviews) indicated that they might be a little over-hyped.

Many thanks!

Last edited by Albion; 05-11-20 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 07:44 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
The only problem changing from a 27" 6 speed wheel to a 700C 7 to 9 speed wheel is the rear dropout spacing. Your 27" is a 126mm hub & the new 700C will have a 130mm hub. So, you have to spread the rear dropouts 4mm for it to fit. Should be no big deal since it's an Ishiwata steel frame. Most of the time you can simply force it in there and, crank down the QR levers & everything will be fine. Just remember to carefully check the wheel alignment with the frame. If it's off a little & is rubbing the brakes or. isn't perfectly spaced between the stays then................hmmmmmmmmm............................ you're going to have to do a little precision bending back there. Be good. Have fun.

Oh yeah, this too: Don't expect much help from a bike store for this type of work. Most bike shops are in the business of selling new bikes. Not modifying old ones.
Old 05-11-20, 07:49 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
So what's the goal here? What's wrong with the existing 700 rims? Trying to upgrade to newer drivetrain?
Looking for durability? Looks?, weight weenie?
Old 05-11-20, 08:07 PM
ramzilla

These are some nice light wheels at a great price:

FREE SHIP 48 STATES* Vuelta Team SL Aluminum Rims, Vuelta Hub Road Bike Wheelsets

The aero blade spokes are a real trip when you get going over 20mph. They make a wind noise like a fan.
Old 05-11-20, 08:34 PM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
The only problem changing from a 27" 6 speed wheel to a 700C 7 to 9 speed wheel is the rear dropout spacing. Your 27" is a 126mm hub & the new 700C will have a 130mm hub. So, you have to spread the rear dropouts 4mm for it to fit. Should be no big deal since it's an Ishiwata steel frame. Most of the time you can simply force it in there and, crank down the QR levers & everything will be fine. Just remember to carefully check the wheel alignment with the frame. If it's off a little & is rubbing the brakes or. isn't perfectly spaced between the stays then................hmmmmmmmmm............................ you're going to have to do a little precision bending back there. Be good. Have fun.

Oh yeah, this too: Don't expect much help from a bike store for this type of work. Most bike shops are in the business of selling new bikes. Not modifying old ones.
Hi Ramzilla, thanks so much fro writing! I was given the frame - nothing else, the groupset was taken off. So I am seeking to build up using bought or bartered, etc. I have never had such a nice frame and am truly looking forward to trying it out. The bike came with 700C wheels according to the specs I can find on the web (this is a 1986 machine). Just for yucks, I tried fitting some 27" wheels in but they were too large in diameter and rubbed on the seat stay bridge and the forks crown. So 700s it is. If I can find 126mm spacing and fit a cassette I will be in clover, as I have always worked with freewheels.
Old 05-11-20, 09:35 PM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by Albion
Hi Ramzilla, thanks so much fro writing! I was given the frame - nothing else, the groupset was taken off. So I am seeking to build up using bought or bartered, etc. I have never had such a nice frame and am truly looking forward to trying it out. The bike came with 700C wheels according to the specs I can find on the web (this is a 1986 machine). Just for yucks, I tried fitting some 27" wheels in but they were too large in diameter and rubbed on the seat stay bridge and the forks crown. So 700s it is. If I can find 126mm spacing and fit a cassette I will be in clover, as I have always worked with freewheels.
You probably won't have much luck finding a 126mm free hub wheel. And, I'm not sure why you'd want one. The old 126mm free hub wheels were fitted with 6 speed Shimano Uniglide cassettes which are long obsolete. You're better off stretching the rear dropouts to 130mm and, fitting a 7, 8, or 9 speed drivetrain in there. I like 7 speed drivetrains because the cassettes & Microshift STI shifters are cheap but, you have to add a spacer for it to work. I've heard that 9 speed stuff has become pretty affordable in the last couple years. Make sure the shifter levers you select match whatever number of gears you select for the cassette. A 9 speed Shimano RD will work with 7, 8, & 9 cassettes. If it was my bike I'd definitely go with STI brifters. Check out this old Centurion upgraded with Microshift 2 x 7 brifters, Shimano 105 RD & FD, & 130 mm rear wheel. (Vuelta XRP)
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 05-12-20, 11:43 AM
lhill 

Bikes: ‘90ish Peugeot Triathlon and Specialized Alibi Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Hey Ramzilla, very cool work stand for your bike! I put 2x7 Microshift levers on my Peugeot, I’m still amazed at how easy they were to install and how well they work!
Old 05-12-20, 12:00 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by lhill
Hey Ramzilla, very cool work stand for your bike! I put 2x7 Microshift levers on my Peugeot, I’m still amazed at how easy they were to install and how well they work!
I'll second that...

Ramzilla, where did you source the rubber retaining clips that hold the top tube?

Thanks

Barry
Old 05-12-20, 01:09 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I'll second that...

Ramzilla, where did you source the rubber retaining clips that hold the top tube?

Thanks

Barry
My guess is they came off a car rack. My Saris Bones has some like that. Am I close?
Old 05-12-20, 01:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Are you sure the spacing is 126 mm? If it is, definitely cold-set the rear width to 130. Sheldon Brown's page has instructions .... I used a threaded 3/8 steel rod with a couple nuts---fit the rod into the dropouts, screw the nuts outwards and measure frequently, as you will have to stretch past 130---the frame will spring back some.

Once you have the right spacing, you can use any group set made in the last 30-odd years.

I was going to suggest Vueltas, but I was looking at the company site, where they cast a little more. I have Vueltas on a few bikes, and while I have heard people complain that their bearings don't like rain (so ... replace them with better when needed?) I have Never had the slightest problem with them.
Old 05-12-20, 01:11 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Albion
I am blundering around looking for an inexpensive wheelset that uses rim braking.
Here is one source for many new, affordable wheelsets. They will be machine built, which means you might want to check the trueness, roundness, dish, and spoke tension - probably be fine.

I just ordered a set of silver H Plus Son Archetype 700c wheels with Shimano 105 hubs and Sapim spokes for $229 + 30 shipping. The H plus Son, DT Swiss, Mavic, Alex, Sun, Weinmann, and Velocity sections on the 'Road Bike Wheelsets' page of the site will have many affordable offerings in silver, black, and a few anodized rims - in the $200 to $280 range. These sets will be 28 to 32 spokes and will work with 7, 8, 9, 10, and maybe 11 speed cassettes - read the description carefully and contact the vendor with questions.

A 130 mm hub should fit into your 126 mm rear spacing with a little elbow grease - perhaps try this with an existing wheel before you buy.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...i2m7aemacj13p5

You can find wheelsets on the internet for $100 to $150, but spending a little more may mean a considerable increase in owner satisfaction.

Here's what I bought.
Old 05-12-20, 06:48 PM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by Barry2
I'll second that...

Thanks

Barry
They're called "grip fists" or "quick fists" . Usually used to secure fishing rods. But, fit around steel bike tubes too. Easy peasy.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Quic.../dp/B000CQPANY
Old 05-12-20, 06:49 PM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by rseeker
My guess is they came off a car rack. My Saris Bones has some like that. Am I close?
Nope. They're rubber "grip fists" come in various sizes. I think this is a link to something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Quic.../dp/B000CQPANY
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 05-12-20, 07:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Are you sure the spacing is 126 mm? If it is, definitely cold-set the rear width to 130. Sheldon Brown's page has instructions .... I used a threaded 3/8 steel rod with a couple nuts---fit the rod into the dropouts, screw the nuts outwards and measure frequently, as you will have to stretch past 130---the frame will spring back some.

Not difficult to cold set a frame, I did it a few decades ago using the Sheldon method, there’s also this YT.