Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Eye glasses with prescription lens

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-12-20, 12:48 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 47 Posts

Hello,
I was searching for reasonably priced cycling sun glasses with diopter lens, but I noted that diopter lens are always mounted on a relatively thick frame behind the sun glasses. That narrows the field of view.
Does anybody know a solution where diopter lens are mounted frammeless behind sun glasses?

Thanks
Old 05-12-20, 03:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
I've used these for over 10 years.. I've tried others, but these fit my face well. Work well for sailing and cycling, IMO.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/rad-sequel-rsx.html

Not sure what field of view you want, I only want to see my gps through the bifocal diopter. It's wide enough for that. And low enough too. When I first looked for safety glasses with a bifocal, the diopter in many was too high and interfered with normal distant vision.

EDIT:
Okay,,,,,,, never mind,,,,,,,, prescription lens you said. Oh well, I saw diopter and was just thinking reading glasses.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-12-20 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 04:18 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Another from Dual Eyeware
https://www.dualeyewear.com/
Old 05-30-21, 07:12 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 441 Posts
I've own several pairs of wrap around sunglasses with progressive bifocal lenses. Recently bought Oakley half jacket glasses from sportrx.com. You use have a prescription less than 1 year old.
Old 05-30-21, 12:05 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Rudy Project Rydons have the option to use reading style lenses with diopters up to +2.5. Brilliant product.
Old 05-30-21, 01:34 PM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
The Sintryx from Rudy Project also use the frameless Rx insert. This allows you to only have one set of Rx lenses ($$$) and have multiple sets of plano lenses of different colors if you want. I've had great luck their photochromic clear to black lenses; I wear them while mountain biking at night, and in the brightest sunlight. I have a set of mirrored lenses but I've never been motivated to put them in.

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Rudy Project Rydons have the option to use reading style lenses with diopters up to +2.5. Brilliant product.
Old 05-31-21, 07:03 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Like DaveSSS, I also got my Oakley progressive sunglasses from SportRX. Very happy with them, so much so that I recently ordered a pair of non-cycling RX sunglasses from them. Very happy with this pairalso.
Old 05-31-21, 11:02 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 1,598 Times in 756 Posts
Try these guys: Prescription Sunglasses, Glasses Frames & Goggles Online | SportRx
Old 06-01-21, 05:57 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I use Rudy Project Exceptions. The tinted lenses are frameless and I don't find that the smaller prescription inserts behind the tinted lenses decrease FoV in any way.

Plus they have the added bonus where you can look like a dork with them flipped up. But hey, at least you can still see.

Old 06-01-21, 04:18 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Hello,
I was searching for reasonably priced cycling sun glasses with diopter lens, but I noted that diopter lens are always mounted on a relatively thick frame behind the sun glasses. That narrows the field of view.
Does anybody know a solution where diopter lens are mounted frammeless behind sun glasses?

Thanks
I have a small RX and do not need glasses to drive or ride but I get my glasses here.
Glasses – Glasses Online – Prescription Glasses | Zenni Optical

I think these are great you just need to know your prescription and get an easy measurement. They are very affordable and you can get as fancy as you want. If I were you I would simply have a dedicated pair of RX sunglasses and probably spring for the bells and whistle. In my case I had Lasik 20 years ago and corrected my horrible nearsightedness. My left eye is perfect at 20/20 but the right is maybe 20/40 so the glasses simply even up my vision and give it a better look. I don't were them riding the bike very much at all. Only if I want to put a clip on sunglasses over them.
Old 06-01-21, 06:05 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I use contacts and Oakley Jawbreakers. I have several lenses I use depending on the the conditions. Contacts were the cheaper option.