Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which bib shorts for ultimate comfort?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which bib shorts for ultimate comfort?

Old 05-12-20, 03:09 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
How do you like these? Any experience with their jerseys, too? I love the look of some of their stuff, but I've also heard that they wear out relatively quickly.
I only got the bibs a few months ago, after being convinced by a friend who has been using them for a long time and swears by them. I rotate through a bunch of kit i have accumulated over the years, so they've only been out 4-5 times so far, but i am very pleased with them. The Assos shoulder straps are better as are the colors, but these are a step up over the various $100 Castellis and Giordanas that i have accumulated.

As far as "standard black bibs" go, i think i have found my new go-to (barring, of course, any long term quality issues).

No experience with their jerseys, however - looking at them on the website, they didnt really seem all that nice, TBH.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-12-20, 04:52 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 974 Posts
I’ve been wearing Garneau bibs since I started riding, my LBS sold them, so it’s what I bought. They’re comfortable and don’t wear out (still on a 6 year old pair).

Its also possible that my ass doesn’t know any better and I’m missing out.
Old 05-12-20, 05:17 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I guess I am a exception as I do not buy expensive bibs but rather the $35-$45 range. Sometimes even cheaper. I do agree this is a very subjective opinion and as stated, the saddle is a bigger issue to me and has been over my over two decades of cycling. That being said, I have always liked a Terry saddle. So as to not steal the thread, I buy bibs that most would scoff at.

Last edited by Germanrazor; 05-12-20 at 06:15 PM.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 05-12-20, 07:47 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My perspective - you get what you pay for.

Most bibs are probably way overpriced, but if you want comfort, spend more. I have yet to find the more expensive bibs less comfortable than a cheaper option.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-12-20, 09:14 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like GORE stuff
Old 05-13-20, 02:49 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
So that would be ones with a nice thick pad, except that puts pressure on the soft tissue, so a thinner, firm pad.

They should fit tightly to prevent bunching and friction, but that is constricting so they should be loose for breathing and comfort.

The straps should fit closely so the crotch stays in place, but the straps should fit loose so they don't cut into the shoulders.

They should have a nice big pad for sitting up on the cruiser, but have a small one that doesn't get in the way when hammering in the drops.

I wouldn't listen to these guys, because they ride a lot and their sit bone areas toughened up long ago so it's hardly a factor for them.
This
Old 05-13-20, 04:51 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Someone sell me on the expensive bibs. I’ve recently dropped a large amount on a Protos with DA so my wife would be happy if I spent more.

The most expensive bibs I’ve had are like 40$ “Funkier” brand. They are better than the Merlin brand I had before which I thought were fine at the time. I also recently bought some Nalini off Merlin for 18$. Not much padding, but are ok and better than Merlin brand.

Will I notice the same difference if I stepped up to some Castelli? I can’t see paying 200+ for assos? But I’m willing to listen if they’re that much better.

Last edited by Greatestalltime; 05-13-20 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-13-20, 06:28 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Someone sell me on the expensive bibs. I’ve recently dropped a large amount on a Protos with DA so my wife would be happy if I spent more.

The most expensive bibs I’ve had are like 40$ “Funkier” brand. They are better than the Merlin brand I had before which I thought were fine at the time. I also recently bought some Nalini off Merlin for 18$. Not much padding, but are ok and better than Merlin brand.

Will I notice the same difference if I stepped up to some Castelli? I can’t see paying 200+ for assos? But I’m willing to listen if they’re that much better.
They are so much more than much better.
But most importantly, once you get a pair you get access to the $200+ bib sub forum.
There we teach you how to color coordinate and accessorize your bicycle. How to correctly shave your legs. And ofc how to properly hand wash your bibs in bottled water heated up to exactly 62 degrees. Among other necessary cycling procedures.
I will probably have my access revoked just for divulging this
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 05-13-20, 06:55 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts

I was using $30-40 bibs before joining my team and getting hooked on Castelli Free Aero Race bibs, the difference is night and day. You can often find the Free Races around $100 on sale, def worth it, imo.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 05-13-20, 07:12 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I was using $30-40 bibs before joining my team and getting hooked on Castelli Free Aero Race bibs, the difference is night and day. You can often find the Free Races around $100 on sale, def worth it, imo.

What about sizing? I’m 5”10” 173-176lbs

I have some Castelli jackets/long sleeve jerseys that seem to run small. One is a Castelli rain jacket size large that barely fits and it’s tight.

My xl jacket fits well.

suggestions on bib size ?
Old 05-13-20, 07:15 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
They are so much more than much better.
But most importantly, once you get a pair you get access to the $200+ bib sub forum.
There we teach you how to color coordinate and accessorize your bicycle. How to correctly shave your legs. And ofc how to properly hand wash your bibs in bottled water heated up to exactly 62 degrees. Among other necessary cycling procedures.
I will probably have my access revoked just for divulging this
Yeeeeeesssss!! Scored again! #winning

Im placing my order(s) as I type this.
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 05-13-20, 07:22 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

I have some Castelli jackets/long sleeve jerseys that seem to run small. One is a Castelli rain jacket size large that barely fits and it’s tight.

My xl jacket fits well.

I'm 6'2" and 185lbs. Large fits snug, but comfortably.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-13-20, 09:15 AM
Rides4Beer

My xl jacket fits well.

Castelli sizing def runs small. I'm 6' 185lbs with big legs and wear Large bibs, as Noodle mentioned, snug, but comfortable. Gotta watch their jersey sizing too, I'm a Large in their Training and Podio jerseys, but an XL in their race fit jerseys like the Climber. I went with a L in the San Remo suit so the legs/pad would fit properly, but the top is super tight, which is ok, since that's the point of a speedsuit.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 05-13-20, 09:35 AM
noodle soup

Gotta watch their jersey sizing too, I'm a Large in their Training and Podio jerseys, but an XL in their race fit jerseys .
+1 their Race jerseys run small(and a little short)

Even an XL Giro 102 jersey isn't quite as long as I would like.

Old 05-13-20, 09:36 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Castelli sizing def runs small. I'm 6' 185lbs with big legs and wear Large bibs, as Noodle mentioned, snug, but comfortable. Gotta watch their jersey sizing too, I'm a Large in their Training and Podio jerseys, but an XL in their race fit jerseys like the Climber. I went with a L in the San Remo suit so the legs/pad would fit properly, but the top is super tight, which is ok, since that's the point of a speedsuit.
Weirdly, I am 6' and 180lb, and wear a M in Assos, Castelli and others (and a L jersey). I have a very short torso, and i find the L size gives my boys a little more wiggle room to move around. It is snug around the thighs but nothing exceptionally so.

Getting the effing skinsuit on - ugh, dont get me started. I need to rope in my wife, the neighbors and my dog to get that damn thing on, and always dread the day the zipper is going to pop around my chest.

Last edited by guadzilla; 05-13-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-13-20, 09:47 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Weirdly, I am 6' and 180lb, and wear a M in Assos, Castelli and others (and a L jersey). I have a very short torso, and i find the L side gives my boys a little more wiggle room to move around. It is snug around the thighs but nothing exceptionally so.

Getting the effing skinsuit on - ugh, dont get me started. I need to rope in my wife, the neighbors and my dog to get that damn thing on, and always dread the day the zipper is going to pop around my chest.
Good example of how differently people of the same height/weight can be built. I'm long torso and short big legs (32" inseam). Thankfully we had a full Castelli fit kit for the team, so I was able to try everything on and figure out my sizes before buying. Medium bibs were a no go with my thighs lol

I wish Castelli would do split sizing for the San Remo, if I could get L bottom with an XL top, I'd wear that thing every day!!
Old 05-13-20, 10:37 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

I wish Castelli would do split sizing for the San Remo, if I could get L bottom with an XL top, I'd wear that thing every day!!
^^^ Word!
Old 05-13-20, 01:20 PM
PedalHardr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
For what it is worth I am a fan of the Rapha Core line of bibs. I have Castelli and Giordana as well as Perl Izumi and the random $30 bibs off of Amazon (Prazeleski or some such) from when I first started cycling 6 months ago and was not sure how I would like it or if I would stick with it (thousands of dollars later and my N+1 is currently kicking in hard and my 3 bikes seem like not enough... lol). I like the Castelli bibs but the size differences and fit is wildly different between lines and I have heard even between years/generations. I use the cheap bibs for trainer days and the Rapha Core Bibs have been my go to for outside. I live in Sunny, Hot, and Humid Florida if climate matters to your decision. I have been a fan of the Rapha Core Cargo Bibs because they have 2 side mesh pockets that lie flat, but I really like the 2 pockets in the back above the pad (they are covered by the jersey and sit about where your mid-lumbar region is). These great for putting your phone, wallet, keys, etc and not working about them getting airborne from the jersey pockets. The Giordana bibs are FR-C and nice as well. But, at $150 for the Rapha bibs vs $250+ for most Castelli and like brands I have no problem with buying the Raphas.

I am ~5'10 178lbs and wear XL in most of the Castelli Bibs (L to XL in jerseys), M to L in Rapha Core Line, and M to L in Pearl Izumi, XL in Giordana
Likes For PedalHardr:
Old 05-13-20, 01:42 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I can't give concrete examples of what makes more expensive bibs better. All I can tell you is that every time I've bought nicer bibs, I have had absolutely 0 interest in going back to the cheaper ones.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-13-20, 03:46 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I bought some castelli knickers and had to exchange them for a large. At 5'-6" and 140, I shouldn't need a large. Even the large was snug, much like a small in some brands.

How's the bib sizing for someone with a 30-31 waist and 140 lbs?
Old 05-13-20, 04:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'm 6'2" and 185lbs. Large fits snug, but comfortably.
Same here.. 6'2" and ~185, though I wear an XL.. I think I need this for strap length (only 33" inseam)
Old 05-13-20, 05:28 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Same here.. 6'2" and ~185, though I wear an XL.. I think I need this for strap length (only 33" inseam)
that would make sense. I have a short torso.
Old 05-14-20, 12:23 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Another vote for Castelli Free Aero Race
Old 05-14-20, 12:25 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I bought some castelli knickers and had to exchange them for a large. At 5'-6" and 140, I shouldn't need a large. Even the large was snug, much like a small in some brands.

How's the bib sizing for someone with a 30-31 waist and 140 lbs?
Sounds like either small or medium. I'm 5'7" 160lb and I'm wearing a medium. It's supposed to be tight
Old 05-14-20, 01:39 AM
hydrationnation

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalHardr
I live in Sunny, Hot, and Humid Florida if climate matters to your decision. I have been a fan of the Rapha Core Cargo Bibs
Florida here too.
Do you buy bibs and jerseys with SPF?
*sorry for hijacking this thread
Whats the most comfortable jersey you own for the summer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.