Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

105 $3000 Bikes: Endurace - Domane - Pinarello Gan Disk K

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

105 $3000 Bikes: Endurace - Domane - Pinarello Gan Disk K

Old 05-26-20, 05:21 PM
hydrationnation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
FWIW I bought a brand new Colnago (2017 model in 2018) with full, then current 105 for $1200 from an authorized dealer, and it wasn't a demo, and I didn't settle as it's the exact model/size/color I wanted and had no cosmetic or mechanical issues of any kind. Wasn't even on the floor for people to fool with, it was built up in back. It was also full 105 down to the chain and cassette, with the only exception being the brake calipers, which I upgraded to 105 at purchase. MSRP was $2500. Perhaps I got an insane, abnormal deal of the year (purchased mid June, so pretty much a month after season really gets going here but not January or something), but it just goes to show you shouldn't be paying anywhere remotely close to $3k for a 105 bike, or even Ultegra if you shop around. Not to mention, a lot of bikes out there don't use a full groupset, so many of them mix and match brands/components.
This is corona 2020. One of the sectors that profits from corona is the cycling industry. In my area it is nearly impossible to find a deal like in 2018/2019 atm. The best deal I can get is on a Trek.
It might be different in your area. But here it is crazy.
Even to test ride bikes is difficult here atm.
My Pinarello shop cant get me the 2020 model anymore and he is waiting for the release of the 2021s.
Old 05-26-20, 05:40 PM
hydrationnation

Originally Posted by justonwo
I haven't ridden a Domane
See here is the thing. I am looking for input on the comparison Gan - Domane - Endurace.
The only experience you have with either of the 3 bikes is that you have read reviews about the Endurace.
"you lack the experience to even elucidate what you're looking for"... ok. But I already see why the Domane is not the bike for me and I want to find out how the Gan compares.
I have the experience with 2 of the 3.
If I could test it, I wouldnt ask here.
You are welcome to think that with my small experience I cant make a "good desision that is right for me" and you should make it for me.
It's ok... Let it go.
Old 05-26-20, 05:49 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 1,483 Times in 541 Posts
My advice would be to ride the bike you have till the situation improves a bit and you can actually test ride bikes. Since you can't test ride the bike you're considering, it's a total crap shoot as to whether you'll like it better or worse than the Canyon and I'm guessing that the same generous return policy won't apply to the Gan from your LBS. Not sure what your options would be at that time.

Some of the discomfort you are experiencing on the Canyon may just be due to that fact that you aren't riding enough yet and some may be due to adjustment/fit issues. As you ride, you can think about the source of discomfort and then ask about what you can do about it. Maybe spend a few bucks for a bike fitting if you can find someone willing to do it right now. A few minor adjustments and some saddle time and you may find its a lot more comfortable.

I understand if you keep riding the Canyon past the return date, you won't be able to return it, but if you wait till the covid fueled bike craze is over, the money you save getting a replacement might be more than what you'll lose having to sell the canyon later on.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 05-26-20, 06:01 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
It seems to me you are being very picky for someone with limited experience. Especially when many of the members here are extremely experienced. I am not one of those but I did but a new bike last year to replace a 25 year old Bianchi. I ended up spending $1400.00 on a NOS Specialized Roubaix SL4. If I had $3k to spend on a similar bike today it would be a Roubaix, Domane or similar comfort bike but it would have suspension and Ultegra vs the 105 on my bike. Frankly all the bikes in this class are basically the same. Higher end carbon, Ultegra, decent seat, middling wheels and tires, similar geometry.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 05-26-20, 06:24 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hydrationnation
It's not harsh. It has just more stiffness and I try to find a good mix for me.
IMO between the Domane and the Defy is not much.
Probably from all bikes I rode, the Defy came the closest to the Domane.
As you are new to cycling
Best advice I can give is to ride your Canyon
So few miles a week, with proper kit, should be fine, to start
If you like a plush feel of a Domane, then a semi race type bike is not for you (ie. your new Canyon)
This will become clear when you pedal more miles on a bike
Likes For RedBullFiXX:
Old 05-26-20, 08:03 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts
This is corona 2020. One of the sectors that profits from corona is the cycling industry. In my area it is nearly impossible to find a deal like in 2018/2019 atm. The best deal I can get is on a Trek.
It might be different in your area. But here it is crazy.
Even to test ride bikes is difficult here atm.
My Pinarello shop cant get me the 2020 model anymore and he is waiting for the release of the 2021s.
I'm aware, no need to school me on the state of the economy. My bike wasn't advertised for $1200, it was advertised for $2500 and I negotiated it, and the shop certainly wasn't struggling. So unless you've been actively negotiating on an actual, in stock bike you are serious about buying on that day at that moment, please don't give me an economics lesson from an armchair about how you have no choice but to bend over and pay MSRP.

You'd be better off buying a bike $500 less and buying $500 wheels, wheels on nearly every bike are underspec'd at nearly every price point. A $3k bike will come with $200 wheels that belong on an $800 bike.

Corona or not, the fact still remains, if you pay $3k for a 105 bike, you're doing it wrong, in stock or not, you should be getting Ultrgra for that price or less. But you have all the answers despite admitting being a noob, so what do you need us for?

Last edited by puma1552; 05-26-20 at 08:11 PM.
Likes For puma1552:
Old 05-26-20, 11:41 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
@ZHVelo ,let me answer your specific question.

because I can.
Then you can also buy a cheaper bike and upgrade it with better wheels. And still come out cheaper / the same for a much better overall bike.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 05-26-20, 11:44 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
See here is the thing. I am looking for input on the comparison Gan - Domane - Endurace.
The only experience you have with either of the 3 bikes is that you have read reviews about the Endurace.
"you lack the experience to even elucidate what you're looking for"... ok. But I already see why the Domane is not the bike for me and I want to find out how the Gan compares.
I have the experience with 2 of the 3.
If I could test it, I wouldnt ask here.
You are welcome to think that with my small experience I cant make a "good desision that is right for me" and you should make it for me.
It's ok... Let it go.
I actually spent quite a bit of time trying to help you in your other thread. It wasn’t meant as an insult to say you lack experience. Virtually everyone in this thread is telling you the same thing. The way you are describing the Roubaix in your other thread (and I own one) and the Canyon in this thread (and I own the Endurace’s stiffer cousin, the Ultimate) doesn’t square with my experience. I honestly think you should slow down a bit in your search and ride what you have. I’m sorry I can’t give you feedback on the bikes you mentioned. Good luck finding something you like.
Likes For justonwo:
Old 05-27-20, 01:35 AM
hydrationnation

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
My advice would be to ride the bike you have till the situation improves a bit and you can actually test ride bikes. Since you can't test ride the bike you're considering, it's a total crap shoot as to whether you'll like it better or worse than the Canyon and I'm guessing that the same generous return policy won't apply to the Gan from your LBS. Not sure what your options would be at that time.
Probably the best idea right now.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Some of the discomfort you are experiencing on the Canyon may just be due to that fact that you aren't riding enough yet and some may be due to adjustment/fit issues. As you ride, you can think about the source of discomfort and then ask about what you can do about it. Maybe spend a few bucks for a bike fitting if you can find someone willing to do it right now. A few minor adjustments and some saddle time and you may find its a lot more comfortable.
I dont have any pain or discomfort. The problem I have with the Canyon is the ride quality. It has nothing to do with fitting.
Old 05-27-20, 02:07 AM
hydrationnation

Originally Posted by justonwo
The way you are describing the Roubaix in your other thread (and I own one) and the Canyon in this thread (and I own the Endurace’s stiffer cousin, the Ultimate) doesn’t square with my experience. I honestly think you should slow down a bit in your search and ride what you have. I’m sorry I can’t give you feedback on the bikes you mentioned. Good luck finding something you like.
Again, you desribed the Canyon as plush. You wouldnt describe the Canyon as plush when you had experience with a Domane Iso Speed (or you would describe the Canyon as mega plush). I have both of these bike in my garage.
You felt to post in the thread, but it had nothing to do with my question. It doesnt help me in any way. You have ZERO Domane experience; ZERO GAN experience and you read reviews about the Endurace. awesome!
Nobody posted any experience or comparison about the Pinarello GAN so far. But "Virtually everyone in this thread is telling you" (as you like to write) what I should do with my money. I can deceide for myself.
I underlined my question from the beginning...I cant make it more clear. I dont want to waste your time.
Old 05-27-20, 04:22 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have ridden a GAN RS. Prefer my Giant TCR. Fairly typical Pinarello in that they ride ok but are over priced and over weight when compared to many other brands.
Old 05-27-20, 05:03 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 363 Posts
With all the coffee shops closed nobody will be buying Pinas. You should be able to get a smoking deal from your LBS.
Old 05-27-20, 05:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I'm aware, no need to school me on the state of the economy. My bike wasn't advertised for $1200, it was advertised for $2500 and I negotiated it, and the shop certainly wasn't struggling. So unless you've been actively negotiating on an actual, in stock bike you are serious about buying on that day at that moment, please don't give me an economics lesson from an armchair about how you have no choice but to bend over and pay MSRP.
Why so hostile? There was no "lesson" in that post.
Old 05-27-20, 05:29 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 204 Posts

Corona or not, the fact still remains, if you pay $3k for a 105 bike, you're doing it wrong, in stock or not, you should be getting Ultrgra for that price or less. But you have all the answers despite admitting being a noob, so what do you need us for?
This is the guy who will be complaining that his LBS is gone in a year...I cant understand why they couldn't make it, they were always busy". I paid MSRP for my wife's Roubaix sport (full 105 with some other brand crank) , for the very reason of wanting to support my LBS so they would be there when I needed them. It is important to point out that for that $3000, she got a full on bike fitting as well.
VIVA la LBS, support your local businesses, or all you will have is Walmart, and Burger King!
Old 05-27-20, 05:40 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

I am afraid you will be hard pressed to find any meaningful insight on anything as uncommon as a Gan. I have noticed the guys (sheeple) on here all push Cervello, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, and Specialized bikes. It is harder to search out and find the less common bikes. The criticism of the Pinarello being heavier may be true, but the build and ride quality of the brand is legendary. I have an older (2013) Pinarello FP Quatro, an have always loved it. The Gan came about 2 years after my bike, and was its spiritual replacement. Pinarello has always made heavier frames and concentrated on making the layup purpose built, weight can be shaved in less critical areas. I have only ever seen one Gan in the wild, so I cant help, but I can only say I love my Pina.
I would guess the stack would be similar to the bikes you are looking at, but it seems like Pina uses a more Italian longer reach (my 54 has a 550 top tube for instance) seat post and stem can adjust for this.
Wish I could help, because I am a Pinarello enthusiast.

Last edited by mgopack42; 05-27-20 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 09:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
This is the guy who will be complaining that his LBS is gone in a year...I cant understand why they couldn't make it, they were always busy". I paid MSRP for my wife's Roubaix sport (full 105 with some other brand crank) , for the very reason of wanting to support my LBS so they would be there when I needed them. It is important to point out that for that $3000, she got a full on bike fitting as well.
VIVA la LBS, support your local businesses, or all you will have is Walmart, and Burger King!
So this is a plug to buy before the seasonal sales; otherwise you're hurting your LBS?
I'd say the LBS would be better off buying sale-priced item or from wherever you want, and if you're so inclined, mail the LBS a check for the difference to what they would have sold you -- even if you bought your bike from a random online seller.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-27-20, 09:52 AM
puma1552

Congratulations on taking pride in paying full price?

Do you pay sticker price for your cars too? Remember, those are local franchisees/businesses too that need the exact same support you're preaching. "Oh but those are large multinational corporations," well, no, they aren't, dealerships are independent franchises that only survive with local sales, so I hope you are paying sticker price for your cars too.

The LBS decided to sell it to me at a price that made sense for them to do so, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. Why blame me for a price an LBS decided to sell at? It's their choice to sell or not, not mine. It's also their responsibility to ensure that the price they sell at is sustainable to them and their business. If you have such a problem with it, take it up with them, not me.

My deal may have been exceptional, but it doesn't mean the only way an LBS can survive is if everyone pays full price. Note I didn't tell OP that he should be buying a 105 bike for $1200, just that for $3k he should be getting an Ultegra bike - MSRP or not, $3k is Ultegra territory. Nowhere did I tell the OP to beat down his LBS for the world's greatest discount. He can pay sticker if he wants, but he really should be getting an Ultegra bike for a $3k MSRP. That's all I've been saying.

Last edited by puma1552; 05-27-20 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 10:24 AM
mgopack42 

All I am saying is that you need to pay for service... something that is going the way of the dodo (do people still say that?). I will pay "extra" for that service and to ensure that it is there for me when I need it. I think of it as an investment in the future of local bike shops. BTW, I also shop at the locally owned Ace Hardware, instead of the cheaper Home Depot, for similar reasons.
And I am not above asking for a discount, but I feel better if I have a relationship with the vendor. I just negotiated a 10% discount on my new super(ish) bike, everyone is happy, I got some $$ off, and they dont have to declare bankruptcy.

as always: YMMV and my $0.02 is likely worth less than that!
Old 05-27-20, 10:41 AM
mgopack42 

Also, a quick internet search shows us this:
All of the usual suspects, and not a single Ultegra bike in the lot! I think people on the forums tend to be a little pie in the sky when giving advice...just sayin'
Old 05-27-20, 11:15 AM
puma1552

Yup, pie in the sky, article from 4 days ago:

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...d-bikes-211171

7 of the bikes on that list are Ultegra for under $3k. Canyon, Trek, Giant, Cannondale are all on the list with a sub-$3k offering, and 3 of those 4 are carbon frames.

Here's a carbon Ultegra Fuji for $3k:

https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/...sl/sl-2-3-disc

I don't care enough to look any further since I've proven my point that you can get Ultegra bikes - from major players - for $3k MSRP or less. Funny how internet searches can be manipulated to fit a narrative instead of showing reality, isn't it? You couldn't find one Ultegra bike for an MSRP of $3k? OK.

Last edited by puma1552; 05-27-20 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 11:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
I don't see OP being happy with a 105 bike, regardless of how much he gets to pay for it.
Old 05-27-20, 11:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
The issue isn't 105 v Ultegra, anyway - unless you move up in price point significantly, the frame that the components are bolted to will be the same, regardless.

The issue is that the OP wants a frame that meets his particular ride quality perception - he seems to want some close to the comfort of a Domane, but without the additional weight, and with more nimble geometry. A Cervelo R3 does exactly that for me, but he doesn't want to hear about anything that his LBS doesn't carry, even though his LBS can't get his prospective bikes in to his hands.
Old 05-27-20, 03:57 PM
mgopack42 

Yup, pie in the sky, article from 4 days ago:

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...d-bikes-211171

7 of the bikes on that list are Ultegra for under $3k. Canyon, Trek, Giant, Cannondale are all on the list with a sub-$3k offering, and 3 of those 4 are carbon frames.

you are aware that the PO is in America, right? and you are further aware that pounds sterling are not american dollars? (~1.2 dollars per pound) of the 4 bikes you mentioned from your Road CC article, 2 of them are not available in the USA configured the way they get them in England, one is not full ultegra, and the only one that is close is aluminum, which may not be what the OP is looking for since ride quality was mentioned, and i "hear" aluminum isn't optimal... but i have no idea!
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 05-27-20, 04:11 PM
puma1552

you are aware that the PO is in America, right? and you are further aware that pounds sterling are not american dollars? (~1.2 dollars per pound) of the 4 bikes you mentioned from your Road CC article, 2 of them are not available in the USA configured the way they get them in England, one is not full ultegra, and the only one that is close is aluminum, which may not be what the OP is looking for since ride quality was mentioned, and i "hear" aluminum isn't optimal... but i have no idea!
Dude, give it up. Obviously pounds aren't USD, the conversion was OBVIOUSLY and inherently accounted for when I pointed out that 7 of the 14 on the list met the $3k USD criteria.

I don't even know what position you're arguing for. My position is crystal clear, that $3k MSRP for a 105 bike is overpriced because you can get Ultegra bikes for less than $3k, and I've shown that (way to cut the Fuji out of my quote since it doesn't fit your false narrative either, lol). What position are you even arguing at this point? Just that I'm wrong when I'm clearly not? Something else? Enough is enough, just stop.

Don't blame me because you chose to pay full MSRP of $3k for your 105 bike, that was your choice and you even boasted in a holier-than-thou way about how proud you were to do so, so live with it and just accept the fact not all of us paid as much as you.

You were very rude to me to start with, completely unprovoked, and I'm sorry you got called out but you deserved it. What you should do is just say, "You know what, I'm sorry, I made ****ty presumptions about you that you didn't deserve and I'm sorry for that." But no, go ahead and continue letting your ego get in the way, avoid admitting wrongdoing at all costs - the American way.

Last edited by puma1552; 05-27-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 05:07 PM
mgopack42 

Canadian GAN review, since no one has nay ideas.

hydrationnation , sorry for getting off the rails, but dont let the bullies influence your thoughts!
Likes For mgopack42:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.