Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

PSA: Internet Archives has a number of old repair manuals online now.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 09:05 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts

...I don't know how long they'll last, because apparently the publishing industry is preparing a lawsuit.

Not sure what the legal copyright issues are in providing online copies of stuff that is still under copyright, but has no chance of being republished, nor am I interested in getting involved in a long and impressively angry discussion over those issues, which seems to be how these threads always devolve. At any rate, for anyone interested, here is a link to their bicycle repair category. It also has some remarkably obscure stuff from the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.

No Sutherland's 4th/5th copies yet, which is a shame. They are close to me in the Bay Area, so I might get inspired and suggest those. Sutherland seems to have gone on record as having no intentions of republishing them, and they are expensive to buy used.
Old 06-13-20, 09:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
When I posted the Proteus Manual (not to the listed archive) I asked for permission from the only coauther I could find. Andy
Old 06-13-20, 09:50 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...Hi Andrew:

If you were interested in the Proteus book, you should check out

Manual of instruction in hard soldering, with an appendix on the repair of bicycle frames; notes on alloys and a chapter on soft soldering

It's from 1898, and I had never seen it before this.
Old 06-13-20, 10:47 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
A quick glance through these shows a lot of books from back in the 70s, 80s, or 90s (even the 1890s! see above). There's a lot of chaff and (IMHO) little wheat. Having said that, if these are copyrighted, downloading them and using them is stealing.

For books still in print or available (for example, Calvin Jone's "Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair") it really does hurt the author and publisher to download stuff like this, without buying,. And, as helpful as Mr. Jones has been (he's replied to my emails and given excellent customer service) I'd feel like a real jerk stealing revenue from him. I mean, if the info is useful, buy the book! For example, the Jones Book is here.

There is one possible legitimate (in both senses of the word: not actually illegal, and acceptable use) approach to this material. This is for ancient (or even more recent) books now out of copyright, like the 1898 book on hard soldering.

Can anyone identify any really good (excellent technical, historically significant) books on this list that aren't under copyright? This would separate the wheat from the chaff for a lot of us.

PS If you do choose to download these books, and you want to use them, you may have to print out significant sections. This may end up costing more than (for example) an entire copy of said book from eBay, and might be close to the actual price of a new book.

PS Given that the Sutherland 6th and 7th editions are still available (here), I have to think that the getting the copyrighted 4th or 5th edition as pdf, for free, seems sketchy.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 06-13-20 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-13-20, 12:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
A quick glance through these shows a lot of books from back in the 70s, 80s, or 90s (even the 1890s! see above). There's a lot of chaff and (IMHO) little wheat. Having said that, if these are copyrighted, downloading them and using them is stealing.

For books still in print or available (for example, Calvin Jone's "Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair") it really does hurt the author and publisher to download stuff like this, without buying,. And, as helpful as Mr. Jones has been (he's replied to my emails and given excellent customer service) I'd feel like a real jerk stealing revenue from him. I mean, if the info is useful, buy the book! For example, the Jones Book is here.

There is one possible legitimate (in both senses of the word: not actually illegal, and acceptable use) approach to this material. This is for ancient (or even more recent) books now out of copyright, like the 1898 book on hard soldering.

Can anyone identify any really good (excellent technical, historically significant) books on this list that aren't under copyright? This would separate the wheat from the chaff for a lot of us.

PS If you do choose to download these books, and you want to use them, you may have to print out significant sections. This may end up costing more than (for example) an entire copy of said book from eBay, and might be close to the actual price of a new book.

PS Given that the Sutherland 6th and 7th editions are still available (here), I have to think that the getting the copyrighted 4th or 5th edition as pdf, for free, seems sketchy.
... that took no time at all, did it ? FYI, I have all those Sutherland's manuals. My guess is you've never seen a copy of the 4th/5th, because the information is completely different. Sutherland was kind of ahead of the times in not simply reprinting stuff that it was assumed shops already had, because they already bought the earlier versions (and presumably kept them, like me). But it's old information...on topics that deal with the bicycles of the 70's/80's. So unlikely to be reprinted because it won't sell enough copies to make back the costs.

Anyway, have a nice day, and try to remember why some of us prefer whole wheat flour.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 06-13-20 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 12:56 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
... that took no time at all, did it ? FYI, I have all those Sutherland's manuals. My guess is you've never seen a copy of the 4th/5th, because the information is completely different. Sutherland was kind of ahead of the times in not simply reprinting stuff that it was assumed shops already had, because they already bought the earlier versions (and presumably kept them, like me). But it's old information...on topics that deal with the bicycles of the 70's/80's. So unlikely to be reprinted because it won't sell enough copies to make back the costs..
That makes sense. I did wonder why Sutherland's sells both the 6th and 7th editions but I guess it's cuz they have different content. And looking at ebay, the old editions ARE expensive.

Anyway, have a nice day, and try to remember why some of us prefer whole wheat flour.
Ok, I don't get this at all...

(I was tempted to say "How did you know I hate whole wheat?". But I still don't get it.)
Old 06-13-20, 01:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
...Hi Andrew:

If you were interested in the Proteus book, you should check out

Manual of instruction in hard soldering, with an appendix on the repair of bicycle frames; notes on alloys and a chapter on soft soldering

It's from 1898, and I had never seen it before this.
Thanks for the reminder. I have heard of it, likely on an old now gone email list before Google was a giggle. I might look through it but I long ago stopped collecting books for the sake of having them.

When i was into that, collecting books that mostly told me what I already knew (Sutherlands being the exception, but I am in the LBS service industry...), I gathered quite a few of what's found on the archive. There's only a few that I would keep if someone asked to buy them. Andy
Old 06-13-20, 09:34 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
They seem to have done their homework as far as copyrights are concerned -- limited view (as with Google Books), borrowing for members (as with libraries), and some titles freely available, presumably those in the public domain or for which they've obtained permission.
Old 06-14-20, 07:22 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz

Ok, I don't get this at all...

(I was tempted to say "How did you know I hate whole wheat?". But I still don't get it.)
I think it’s a metaphor: whole wheat flour has the chaff along with the wheat.
Old 06-14-20, 08:20 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Sprocketman to the rescue!

Looks like I have a new favorite superhero: Sprocketman (and most of the advice seems to hold up pretty well, too).
Old 06-14-20, 11:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
Thanks for sharing.
They seem to have done their homework as far as copyrights are concerned -- limited view (as with Google Books), borrowing for members (as with libraries), and some titles freely available, presumably those in the public domain or for which they've obtained permission.
...yes, I think so. I guess maybe if you're a regular library user it makes more sense as a model to minimize trips and visits to the library. Which is how it came to my attention.

Originally Posted by ted_major
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
One man's chaff is another man's fiber.
Old 06-15-20, 08:29 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by ted_major

Old 06-15-20, 12:17 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
Thanks for sharing.
Ah, thanks. BTW, are there any really classic repair books here?