Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane - possibly destroyed in strange incident

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Domane - possibly destroyed in strange incident

Old 06-16-20, 11:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I suppose you could check your homeowners/renters policy to see if there's anything that could make sense?

What is the latest verdict on bike insurance policies.. still pricey? Talking about the Velosurance or Markel types of products. Alternatively a rider on a renters/homeowner policy.
I looked into insurance a couple years ago. It was about $500 per year per bike.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 06-16-20, 11:39 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Hard to understand how this happened, considering the amount sticks, mud etc I have rode thru on my Cross bike
Old 06-16-20, 11:40 AM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
I actually don't know where the crack to the frame is yet. I took it to my LBS and dropped it off with them to analyze and figure out how many components got wrecked. They have not gotten back to me with a final evaluation but when I spoke to them yesterday, they said they had concerns about a crack in the bottom of the down tube which the more I think about the stranger I think that is. I am an hour away from the store so once they finish with the evaluation I will head in and see it with my own eyes and figure out what to do. I never thought about insurance for a bike before, but that's mostly because I never rode something so nice before.
Old 06-16-20, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. I had a stick get kicked up. Hit the bladed spokes of the front wheel. Got spun up and lodged horizontally between the inside of the fork and the brake. I was powering up at the base of a small hill. Doing about 16 mph. Front wheel locked up. I went flying. Hit the ground and split the end of my clavicle. Fortunately, I had enough time to keep my head up so that it barely grazed the road. Got a free ambulance ride to the closest hospital.
Old 06-16-20, 12:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I looked into insurance a couple years ago. It was about $500 per year per bike.
It's based on replacement value, right? Eg. maybe $500 for a new $5k bike?
Does premium drop like a rock as bike is used (eg. 2nd year large premium decline or based on bicyclebluebook values)? Or is replacement value always for a new bike whatever trim line matches most closely?

I guess curious how they'd assign value eg. for a decade(s) old Ti bike with newer components and wheels, eg. from a company that doesn't even exist any more.

Originally Posted by Jungleland
I never thought about insurance for a bike before, but that's mostly because I never rode something so nice before.
Do you have a home/rental policy? You could always ask your agent what they could do for you (if anything).. though probably a largish deductible.
Old 06-16-20, 12:07 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
a crack in the bottom of the down tube
Could that have possibly caused the accident, and the stick is a red herring?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-16-20, 12:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Is there a lesson in all this.. ie. don't pretend you know for sure what caused the damage when you approach the LBS/Manufacturer? If it possibly wasn't the sticks fault, did the OP talk himself unnecessarily out of potential warranty replacement?
Old 06-16-20, 12:25 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
How would that have snapped an RD cage? I'm not seeing it.
Old 06-16-20, 12:27 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It all seems implausible, so I just raised it as a question, not to offer it as a definitive explanation.
Old 06-16-20, 12:34 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Not to start stuff, but I've seen bikes not setup properly from the shop drop chains and have drivetrain issues like this happen early. Some sucking the RD into the wheels and ruining the bike. So, the stick could be a red herring as stated above. Again, not to start stuff........but I've seen so many folks show up on group rides on a brand new bike from the shop have a ride littered with "mechanicals".

Was the stick still actually in the drivetrain afterwards?

In a properly tuned drivetrain it takes a good amount of a "stick" going into it or issues going thru to actually do this.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-16-20, 01:07 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It's based on replacement value, right? Eg. maybe $500 for a new $5k bike?
Does premium drop like a rock as bike is used (eg. 2nd year large premium decline or based on bicyclebluebook values)? Or is replacement value always for a new bike whatever trim line matches most closely?

I guess curious how they'd assign value eg. for a decade(s) old Ti bike with newer components and wheels, eg. from a company that doesn't even exist any more.
I'm not sure the answer to your question, but I do know that they know the bike industry well, unlike car insurers, and are quite reluctant to pay out claims. You crash and break your RD, you are only getting a new RD. You could scratch the crap out of your shifters, but if they still function, they're not getting replaced.
Old 06-16-20, 01:14 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've had that happen (only trashed the RD, hanger & chain).

It doesn't take much, & could happen to anyone. Little need to look for obscure operator/shop/manufacturer error IMO.

Don't see any obvious frame damage, so hopefully some new parts & you'll be back in action.

Even if frame repair is needed, it's very do-able.
Old 06-16-20, 02:52 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
OP rolls on a debris on the road that smashes his drive train & messes-up his frame, then this guy shows up to the party and says a TI bike is better. Is it safe to conclude that the argument here is that a TI bike would have better survived this unfortunate incident?

Who the hell invited that guy anyways?
Actually I am not try to be difficult at all and I do think that carbon fiber is fine for a frame. I just mentioned that generally these issue do not come up with steel or Ti frames. It is a thought that possibly a Ti frame is something to look at. I make have no intentions of bad ill. The OP had a really bad mishap and that it terrible. The main thing is he did not get hurt in a crash. I also know the TI frames generally have CF forks so they certainly have some the the OP material in them. As a life long cyclist with many miles and bikes I just think that OP might want to look at TI it is not any more money really.

I am sorry that the group took it the way I presented the post. My post was just that I really find TI to be better frame material at least for me. If I was racing and going for a super light bike they are not the choice for sure. For an old timer like myself I find TI pretty attractive.

My advice to the original post is to contact Trek and see if they can work something out. I bet they can come to something that might be pretty fair. I have not idea on the repair end except that is possible too best left to an expert not me for sure.
Old 06-16-20, 02:53 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
How would that have snapped an RD cage? I'm not seeing it.
If things moved out of alignment then the RD can do some unfun things!
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-16-20, 03:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the moderator's post last page.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-16-20 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 03:25 PM
WhyFi

What part of "let's not rehash the same ol' frame material bull****" do you guys not understand?
Old 06-16-20, 03:28 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I'm trying to understand how the chain broke.
Likes For mercator:
Old 06-16-20, 03:38 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
If things moved out of alignment then the RD can do some unfun things!
The vast majority of the tension is on the top run of the chain; still not seeing how the crankset moving out of alignment would somehow snap the RD cage, on the bottom run of the chain, as opposed to simply throwing the chain.
Old 06-16-20, 03:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
I'm trying to understand how the chain broke.
!'m guessing the chain broke when the pulley cage got twisted and broke. (I'm guessing the "twisted" also, but it certainly appears that way in the photos.) You can see the broken cage in the second photo. The cage appears to be carbon fiber, which would not like the bending or twisting, Once you bend modern chain links, all bets are off for it staying intact. Very good chance of the flush mounted pin pulling out of the sideplate.
Old 06-16-20, 04:01 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 261 Posts
Hopefully the shop will have Trek look at it. It may take a month. I think for damage like that Trek has regional people come take a look. Good Luck. I hope they replace the frame and just charge for the derailleurs and new chain. Who knows someone may in fact buy a Checkpoint SL over a Warroad.
Old 06-16-20, 04:56 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The vast majority of the tension is on the top run of the chain; still not seeing how the crankset moving out of alignment would somehow snap the RD cage, on the bottom run of the chain, as opposed to simply throwing the chain.
The comment was related to the downtube snapping for whatever reason, not the crankset. Not sure where you got that.
Old 06-16-20, 05:03 PM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
I just spoke with the bike shop and it was the chain stay that looks to have a couple of small cracks (the rest of the frame is fine so that makes more sense). He took pics and sent them to both Trek (to their warranty and service people) and a frame repair person to get their opinions. They seem to be advocating for me which is nice.
Old 06-16-20, 05:06 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I actually don't know where the crack to the frame is yet. .
+1

Looking at the second photo, I wonder if the bottom portion of the seat tube is damaged. It's hard to tell from the photo,

Is that area of the seat tube(above the BB) scratched up, or is it just glare in the photo?
Old 06-16-20, 05:15 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
The comment was related to the downtube snapping for whatever reason, not the crankset. Not sure where you got that.
Okay. What you said makes even less sense, then.
Old 06-16-20, 07:01 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.