Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane - possibly destroyed in strange incident

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Domane - possibly destroyed in strange incident

Old 06-23-20, 06:02 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 243 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Hard to understand how this happened, considering the amount sticks, mud etc I have rode thru on my Cross bike
Not really. If you get enough bikes running over enough sticks, eventually something weird will happen. This poor guy just happened to be the unlucky one.

Your comment is amusing, coming from someone with your avatar.
Old 06-23-20, 07:02 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What part of "let's not rehash the same ol' frame material bull****" do you guys not understand?
But it was so tempting... I felt like Gollum holding THE ring, trying not to put it around my finger.

On a different note, did we get an update from OP regarding his claim at the LBS?
Old 06-23-20, 07:56 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Not really. If you get enough bikes running over enough sticks, eventually something weird will happen. This poor guy just happened to be the unlucky one.
Your comment is amusing, coming from someone with your avatar.

Delighted to amuse you, hopefully the OP gets his bike back together for lots of happy miles ahead
Old 06-23-20, 08:00 AM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
"noimagination Not really. If you get enough bikes running over enough sticks, eventually something weird will happen. This poor guy just happened to be the unlucky one.
Your comment is amusing, coming from someone with your avatar "

Delighted to amuse you, hopefully the OP gets his bike back together for lots of happy miles ahead
Old 06-23-20, 10:35 AM
ElDoradoCyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Stuff happens. The RD is an easy replacement. The frame is the biggest concern.

Trek has a "Carbon Care" program - check it out.

There are third parties that can repair damaged carbon frames - check them out if the Trek's Carbon Care program isn't very attractive.
Good advice. My Niner carbon frame suffered some major damage near the bottom bracket on only my second ride on the bike. I wept openly. My LBS recommended I send the frame off to be repaired vs replaced. The place that did the repair did such a good job (even matching the paint perfectly), that I can't tell anything ever happened. It wasn't cheap, but it was much cheaper than replacing the frame. The repair shop is in Watsonville, CA.
Old 06-23-20, 04:42 PM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
OP here. Looks like I am getting a new bike (upgrading to the Domane SL5 over the SL4). The cost to get the frame and everything else fixed was going to be in the $1,500 range and Trek is going to give me 30% off of the entire new bike so it's only a bit more to get the new bike that is a decent upgrade. It really sucks though.
Likes For Jungleland:
Old 06-23-20, 04:59 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 204 Posts
Jungleland Check your homeowner insurance. they may fill the gap pretty well (minus your deductible). can hurt to ask, and to review yoru coverage while you are at it, you may have other coverage you need and are missing.
Old 06-24-20, 06:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by Jungleland
OP here. Looks like I am getting a new bike (upgrading to the Domane SL5 over the SL4). The cost to get the frame and everything else fixed was going to be in the $1,500 range and Trek is going to give me 30% off of the entire new bike so it's only a bit more to get the new bike that is a decent upgrade. It really sucks though.
Do you get to keep the old bike.. there must be some still working parts you could also sell off, right?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-24-20, 07:15 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
you have an awful lot of faith in the dork disc.

I build over 150 bikes a month, and about 20% of them have dork discs that didn’t make it through shipping.
The bike is fine otherwise, and the box shows no signs of rough treatment. If the dork disc is this fragile, what make you think it will actually keep the bike from getting damaged?
When I first started building bikes for myself (and family) from framesets, I looked into getting aluminum dork disks from the 70's after seeing how fragile the current plastic ones are because I didn't trust myself to set up an RD properly. Then, I just learned to set up the RD properly and run through shifts a bunch on the repair stand, then the trainer under load before riding them.
Old 06-25-20, 04:55 AM
Jungleland

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Do you get to keep the old bike.. there must be some still working parts you could also sell off, right?
Trek is going to get the frame back but I get the rest of it. I will use the pedals that I had on it but keep the rest as replacement parts. I will use the pedals for the new bike but I will keep the seat, handlebars and front wheel as a spare part (and whatever else is salvageable).
Old 06-25-20, 05:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Trek is going to get the frame back but I get the rest of it. I will use the pedals that I had on it but keep the rest as replacement parts. I will use the pedals for the new bike but I will keep the seat, handlebars and front wheel as a spare part (and whatever else is salvageable).
by Frame, does this mean you don't eg get the crankset, brakes, shifters? Front wheel? Tires?
Old 06-25-20, 10:22 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Stick? Look at the chain.... possibly quicklink was not put on correctly and came apart grabbing both derailleurs in the process. Full warranty.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-25-20, 10:56 AM
Jungleland

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
by Frame, does this mean you don't eg get the crankset, brakes, shifters? Front wheel? Tires?
No, I get all that stuff. They get the carbon fiber frame but I get all of the components.
Old 06-25-20, 06:46 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Stick? Look at the chain.... possibly quicklink was not put on correctly and came apart grabbing both derailleurs in the process. Full warranty.
This just happened to my kid a few weeks ago (new chain put on by the shop, old bike). Fortunately, nothing worse than the walk of shame. It only half came apart, which made it harder to deal with.
Old 06-25-20, 07:00 PM
Orion12521

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
Jungleland Check your homeowner insurance. they may fill the gap pretty well (minus your deductible). can hurt to ask, and to review yoru coverage while you are at it, you may have other coverage you need and are missing.
I'm not saying that it is absolutely impossible, but I'd be shocked if the Homeowners Insurance covered this. Wrecking your bike is not a typical covered peril. It is also possible that inquiring could hurt, depending on the state and the insurance company. They may treat "soft inquiries" about coverage like you are filing a claim. At the very least it puts you on the company's radar for the next renewal. I'm not saying that just asking about a claim will cause you some hardship, but neither should anyone assume that doing so will come with zero consequences.

Last edited by Orion12521; 06-25-20 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 11:50 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
No, I get all that stuff. They get the carbon fiber frame but I get all of the components.
If it's in good condition, sell it and make some of your money back.
Old 06-26-20, 12:07 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 261 Posts
A friend had Trek replace his dream years ago for a crack. Really just looked like the paint but Trek stood up for him. Old parts transferred to the new frame. Trek provided a couple parts to replace those that did not fit the new frame. Those parts he got to keep. Only issue you don’t get to pick the color back then.
Old 06-26-20, 12:22 PM
thenewjs

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Same thing happened to me, but the frame on my CAAD12. Was riding Mt. Vernon when the guy in front of me ran over a snake. It jumped right into me rear wheel where he tangled in the chain, RD, cassette and wheel. I completely shredded the snake. I spent two days picking snake bits out.