Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which frame pump will fit a vintage Raleigh Cameo?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 07:52 AM
velocitygirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought this one: VENTURA BIKE PUMP FRAME FIT 16"- 17" 40-43cm FITS ALL TYPE VALVES (sorry it won't let me post the URL, but it's from a site called Bankrupt Bike Parts)

It seems to be the right length, but doesn't fit into the pegs properly. Is there anything from that website or elsewhere that would do the job?

Thank you!
​​​​
Old 06-28-20, 09:11 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Whereabouts are the pump pegs on your frame? If it's got two pegs on the downtube or toptube like this: -

then a Zefal REV88, which has holes at the top and bottom that fit the pegs will be ideal.

Old 06-28-20, 10:06 AM
velocitygirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pegs are on the lower straight tube (the top one is curved). The pump I bought doesn't seem to have the correct holes at the ends to fit in properly even though it seems to be the correct length - I've been told I need one that's flat on the end.
Old 06-28-20, 10:18 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Silca pumps with the proper heads come in various lengths, have holes to mate with pegs on both ends, but also have a recessed shape on one end to fit to a frame tube. I'm not able to provide sizing advice, but they're pretty decent pumps, fairly common, and should cost a ridiculous amount of $$.
Old 06-28-20, 10:24 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
I have a bunch of Zefal frame pumps that have one end for a peg and the other with plastic feet that sit in a tube junction. Would that work? Yours for the cost of shipping.
Old 06-28-20, 04:14 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
The Zefal model called the Solibloc is most likely to fit those pegs but is also most likely to be found buried at the back of some oldtimer's closet, if anywhere. They used to come in colors on cards of ten and hang in shops. These were a pain because the little braided hose with the threaded fittings had to be removed from one end then and screwed into the other for the pump to be used, and you always lost air unscrewing the hose from the valve stem. Then came the HP with the little plastic feet at one end, the quick release for the valve stem, and took an umbrella clip at the other to hold it to the frame.

I'd suggest bypassing those pegs for a pump that works, which is not a Solibloc. It's better than no pump, but there are many better ones out there.