Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Assos bibs - do you need chamois cream? and other questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 06:06 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts

I was looking at assos bibs and saw assos chamois cream for sale.

Question 1: If you own a pair, do you use chamois cream?

Question 2: How are their low end bibs - RE: MILLE GT BIB SHORTS?
Old 07-19-20, 06:44 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
I have 3 pair of assos bibs which bought in April.
I have not yet used chamois cream with any of them.

Each pair is worn once or twice each week.
The chamois is like new on each pair -- so far each pair has been worn only 20 times or fewer.
I hand wash them right after each ride, I just take them right into the shower with me and hand wash them with mild body wash or shampoo, then I hang them inside out to drip dry.
So far I've had no wear n tear on the chamois or anywhere else.

For the Mille GTs --
I bought them but I sent them back because the inseam is cut longer than the other assos lines which fit me better.
I'm short, I have shorter legs and the cuffs of the mille gts were down to my kneecaps.
Otherwise, the milles were nice and lightweight and the fabric fit comfortably but not as tight + compressive as the races lines like equipe and evo.
Assos describes them as their most lightweight bib short (I mean in terms of comfort / cooling / ventilation, not in grams) and they're basically designed with a relaxed fit for long hours on the bike.

Mille GT is their lowest-priced bib short at full price, but be sure you look at the sale prices on all their stuff.
Go to the assos use website, click MEN or WOMEN then click ARCHIVE, then choose PAST SEASONS STYLES and you'll see a lot of sale-priced stuff.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 07-19-20, 07:00 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Chamois cream every ride.. Eurostyle mentholated!
Old 07-19-20, 07:17 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
I don't see any downside to using chamois cream, and I've found that it is helpful to prevent the formation of the much dreaded saddle sores. I haven't found my Assos bibs to be any more comfortable than other high end bibs, however. If you use chamois cream in other bibs, I would use them on Assos as well.
Old 07-19-20, 07:55 PM
gios

Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
... be sure you look at the sale prices on all their stuff.
Go to the assos use website, click MEN or WOMEN then click ARCHIVE, then choose PAST SEASONS STYLES and you'll see a lot of sale-priced stuff.
Awesome.
Old 07-20-20, 07:24 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I have 3 pairs of Assos bibs, including one Mille GT pair. Have not used cream with any if them and have not had any problems. All of them have held up well and I will continue to buy Assos in the future.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 07-20-20, 10:39 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
All my gear is Assos, Accumulated over about 6 years. Absolutely the best kit I've ever owned. I generally use chamois cream but I've ridden without it with no ill effects.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-20-20, 07:33 PM
gios

Got a FF1 RS Spring/Fall Bib Short from the archive sale.
Old 07-20-20, 11:03 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I dont bother with chamois cream for rides of 2 hours or less. If riding > 2.5 hours, i will apply some. I also tend to use my Assos bibs mainly for long rides (i mostly have the higher end version, purchased precisely for that purpose) - for shorter, weekday training rides, i am still working through my old Castellis, Giordanas, Sportfuls, etc.

Incidentally, i just (like, 30 min ago) ordered a pair of Mille GTs for weekday riding.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-21-20, 07:42 PM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by gios
Got a FF1 RS Spring/Fall Bib Short from the archive sale.
I think you'll be happy with the quality of the build and the chamois is really comfortable in the RS pair I have.
one note (sorry I didn't mention this before) -- I've worn only the summer weight stuff in their 1.3 line (in Miami), in your climate will you have spring / fall temperatures or do you have summer temperatures all year?
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 07-22-20, 10:46 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
OP, as far as chamois creams go, Assos is my favorite--and I have tried a lot of different types/brands.
Old 07-22-20, 04:54 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Question 1: If you own a pair, do you use chamois cream?
I stopped using chamois cream after switching to Assos - for me their bibs work perfectly without any cream.
I guess chamois materials, shape and the way it is attached to the bibs lead to very little friction.

Question 2: How are their low end bibs - RE: MILLE GT BIB SHORTS?
I've no idea, my choice is their Cento line due to kukuPenthouse.
Old 07-22-20, 07:18 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
I use chamois creme pretty much every ride; I do live in a relatively low humidity area, but it is a must in higher humidity. For as much as I ride, it's worth the "safety" factor. I've never tried the Assos creme...just not available easily around here, have heard nothing but good about it.

I cycle through several sets of kit (Assos, Ale, Castelli Rosa Corsa, Santini, etc). I pretty much consider all of them to be my "top drawer" stuff... putting out 100km in them is perfectly fine. HOWEVER... when push comes to shove, the Assos bibs still get picked when I think it could be worse than usual for a ride.... All are equal, one more than the others.... (fair disclosure...hate Assos jerseys... but the bibs..... hard to fault )
Old 07-22-20, 08:12 PM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by Beach Bob
I use chamois creme pretty much every ride; I do live in a relatively low humidity area, but it is a must in higher humidity. For as much as I ride, it's worth the "safety" factor. I've never tried the Assos creme...just not available easily around here, have heard nothing but good about it.

I cycle through several sets of kit (Assos, Ale, Castelli Rosa Corsa, Santini, etc). I pretty much consider all of them to be my "top drawer" stuff... putting out 100km in them is perfectly fine. HOWEVER... when push comes to shove, the Assos bibs still get picked when I think it could be worse than usual for a ride.... All are equal, one more than the others.... (fair disclosure...hate Assos jerseys... but the bibs..... hard to fault )
I have 2 assos jerseys, they look dorky when I'm standing around but they feel great on the bike.
most of their jersey graphic designs are so ugly I want to cry. EXCEPT the speed club jersey, I want one of those but it's like $200.

can't say enough good things about their bibs though, I doubt I'll ever buy anything else.
Old 07-22-20, 10:14 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Beach Bob Fellow Canadian here. Where are you buying to Assos bibs/kit from? A local source or over the interwebs?
Old 07-23-20, 09:15 AM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Beach Bob Fellow Canadian here. Where are you buying to Assos bibs/kit from? A local source or over the interwebs?
There are a couple of local retailers that charge full MSRP...so, not buying from them. The standard "british" online shops (Chain Reaction, Evans, ProBikeKit, etc) will often have it on sale; I try to buy "matched" sets of kit and hold my price point to no more than $200 for jersey/bib combo; It can be tough to stay that low on the top end stuff, but doable if you're patient.
Likes For Beach Bob:
Old 07-23-20, 10:01 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Why would you need chamois cream only for a specific brand? If you normally need to use some, you'll need it regardless of the brand.
Old 07-24-20, 08:02 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I'll use chamois cream on my Mille GTs (Archive Sale for the Win) but I usually hedge and only apply during the ride.

I also have some Centos (yes they were spendy) that I did about 75 miles on and didn't even realize I'd used no cream until about 60 miles in. Had some chamois cream with me but just didn't need it.

IMHO lots of factors of needing it or not. Length of the ride, how much you sweat, how well the shorts wick and related to that, the build quality of the shorts. I used to think that the $100 Pearl Izumi's were fine, then my wife bought me an Assos gift card and it was all over.
Old 07-24-20, 08:41 AM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by eduskator
Why would you need chamois cream only for a specific brand? If you normally need to use some, you'll need it regardless of the brand.
Probably because the current Assos lines feature chamois designed to reduce friction, so maybe the OP wanted to hear from Assos users what their experience has been.
Old 07-24-20, 10:16 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
The bibs/fit of bibs are not the only factors in the decision whether or not to use chamois cream. Once I'm in shape I generally don't need it, but during the recent spell of hot weather all of the cycling I was doing soaked in sweat caused chafing issues "down there" (used A+D ointment while sleeping for a few nights), so I went back to using chamois cream for a while. Personally I always keep some around just in case.
Old 07-24-20, 02:44 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I use chamois cream with all my cycling shorts. If Assos didn’t think you needed chamois cream, they wouldn’t make one of the best versions on Earth. So, there’s that.
Old 07-26-20, 11:33 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I use their cream but don't apply it to the shorts but rather onto me in spots where friction or hot spots can occur.