Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cassette swap chain ring shift issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 03:45 PM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts

ugh
i have built sram 2x10 road set up
chain rings are 53/36
i first threw my cyclocross cassette on which is a 11-36 and it worked perfect everything shifted as good mechanical could , with the exception of i never shift the chain rings under heavy torque because it usually drops the chain !
the rear mech was not able to shift over the 36 cog and the 52 ring would not shift over the 32 cog on the cassette so what ever i shouldn't be cross chained that far anyway but it would have been nice to have the option for what ever reason came up while out on the road .
now i swap in a sram 10x11/32 cassette and everything fits , but now the the damn chain ring wont shift up with out cranking on the shifter , if it even catches , and when it does im way up the cassette , out o the transition range , so going from the low chain ring to big ring should be in a specific cog that allows a smooth transition , but there is none of that going on .
i really thought it should be an easy swap but i guess not

i have everything set up , i have the cable tensioner no matter how much cable tension i add doesn't seem to help , and i adjusted the limit screw and it just seems to help bit but drops the chain because im holding the shift lever instead of just clicking it like i was before this started
Old 07-22-20, 01:02 AM
Toespeas

nothing
Old 07-22-20, 01:39 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
ugh
i have built sram 2x10 road set up
chain rings are 53/36
i first threw my cyclocross cassette on which is a 11-36 and it worked perfect everything shifted as good mechanical could , with the exception of i never shift the chain rings under heavy torque because it usually drops the chain !
the rear mech was not able to shift over the 36 cog and the 52 ring would not shift over the 32 cog on the cassette so what ever i shouldn't be cross chained that far anyway but it would have been nice to have the option for what ever reason came up while out on the road .
now i swap in a sram 10x11/32 cassette and everything fits , but now the the damn chain ring wont shift up with out cranking on the shifter , if it even catches , and when it does im way up the cassette , out o the transition range , so going from the low chain ring to big ring should be in a specific cog that allows a smooth transition , but there is none of that going on .
i really thought it should be an easy swap but i guess not

i have everything set up , i have the cable tensioner no matter how much cable tension i add doesn't seem to help , and i adjusted the limit screw and it just seems to help bit but drops the chain because im holding the shift lever instead of just clicking it like i was before this started
It's a SRAM Yaw FD? I have one. Shifts marevelously well, really smooth and it doesn't need trim, but it's a PITA to set up. Watch this video:

If the setup is not PERFECT it won't work well. And PERFECT means PERFECT.
Old 07-22-20, 01:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
You seem to say that it worked perfectly, but wouldn't shift into the two largest cogs- not so perfect.
53/36 big/big would need a mtn RD- hopefully it wouldn't shift to the largest cogs because the chain was too short!

Possibly now the chain is too long & slack causing poor front shifting.

If it worked fine before, The front RD shouldn't need anything, but sounds like after fiddling, you now need to start from scratch to set up all the shifting.
Old 07-22-20, 02:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
nothing
Edit to make your post more coherent and avoid cutesy affectations such as no caps or punctuation. Guarantee you'll get better response.
Old 07-22-20, 05:49 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
The post is unreadable.
Old 07-25-20, 01:06 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by davet
the post is unreadable.
Old 07-25-20, 01:09 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by woodcraft
You seem to say that it worked perfectly, but wouldn't shift into the two largest cogs- not so perfect.
53/36 big/big would need a mtn RD- hopefully it wouldn't shift to the largest cogs because the chain was too short!

Possibly now the chain is too long & slack causing poor front shifting.

If it worked fine before, The front RD shouldn't need anything, but sounds like after fiddling, you now need to start from scratch to set up all the shifting.
all i did was switch the cassette from a 11/36 to a 11/32 , the 11/36 will shift up to the 32 tooth in the little ring , but not the big ring , both rings cant get that last cog , i dont need the last cog its just a cassette i had from cyclocross , i thought it might be not enough chain tension !
Old 07-25-20, 01:09 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by Amt0571
It's a SRAM Yaw FD? I have one. Shifts marevelously well, really smooth and it doesn't need trim, but it's a PITA to set up. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnG3t7TyRm0

If the setup is not PERFECT it won't work well. And PERFECT means PERFECT.
its set up fine all i changed was a cassette !
Old 07-25-20, 09:37 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What are you using for shifters?
Old 07-25-20, 09:56 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Is your screen name a Gary Snyder reference, by any chance?
Old 07-25-20, 06:03 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Heavy feet.
Old 07-27-20, 01:41 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Yes. Mine was fine until it wasn't. In my case it seemed the ring that holds the FD to the frame was not tight enough and allowed the FD to rotate and slide downwards a bit, causing lots of issues with the shifting.