Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Old 07-22-20, 03:16 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
When I first started paying attention to my cycling gear, Pearl Izumi held a similar status to me as Rapha does in 2020.
For 5 years I worked around the corner from a Pearl Izumi outlet. I’ve got loads of their gear, all usually at 50% or more off, so I tend to think of them as a “budget” brand.

Their N3 running shoes were amazing, and I used to get them for less than $50 a pair. I was gutted when they stopped making them.
Old 07-22-20, 04:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,469 Times in 5,875 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
God, I hate that too. I like "cycling costume."

Cheers, mate.
Or, as my wife once referred to it "Your Bike Togs".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-22-20, 04:27 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I believe humans have divisive (tribal) traits, regardless of brand, style etc
fwiw, no bib works like Rapha for me, favorite jersey are from Attacus

What ever happened to live and let live

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 07-22-20 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 04:32 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
your money dress how you wish.. but no matter how understated the fancy cycling jersey is and or the tights... you put on those space man goggle and bowling shoes... and you .... we all look like fools... so embrace the freak flag and let it fly... thats why i like the 90s stuff so much more.... then there was no pretense to make cycling look sophisticated and cool... look up Montgomery Bell, or Polti ... have both of those and wear those garish ugly tops with gusto.... ralpha... may be quality... but man is it drab.. mho
Likes For scuzzo:
Old 07-22-20, 04:37 PM
Senson

Bikes: 18 Cervelo R3, 19 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
For me it's all about fit and service. I've tried couple of Rapha Jersey and bibs but always ended up returning them. My girlfriend likes how they fit so she wears Rapha.
One thing though, we never buy Rapha locally because we've always had bad experience with sales people in NYC store. Over there unless you roll in with super bike with Rapha all over you, they don't talk to you if you ask questions you get an answer with less then two words. They looked too busy talking to people with fancy suite or Rapha kit with $10000 bike. Hope they changed it by now. Same goes to many local bike shop in NYC. Not all of them but some.
Likes For Senson:
Old 07-22-20, 04:41 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's good quality stuff that's generally bland in design and they present a quite good value with their Core line.
FIFY

The appearance is fairly bland overall, and I prefer a sportier look
I have no problem with the cost, and the quality is equal to other brands in the same price range
Old 07-22-20, 04:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Why are N+1s added to the 'stable'? anyway...
Rapha is obvious, though it's very well thought out stuff. I guess it's because of its obviousness that I haven't really bought any of their stuff. That armband design is reminiscent by nature of clubs, units, orders, military, or organizations etc. So the subliminal messaging is that you're a part of something that your clothing choice itself is defining.

Other clothing company logos (eg Nike swoosh or Castelli scorpion, etc).. may be just as obvious, but they are just logos that only signify or tell the viewer what brand of clothing it is, there's not the same embedded association of belonging to something.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-22-20, 05:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
I’m holding out until Rapha shows up at Walmart.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-22-20, 05:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
FIFY

The appearance is fairly bland overall, and I prefer a sportier look.
That's cool - I have no problem leaving the garish stuff for others.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-22-20, 05:24 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
Once worked for a Mercedes dealer and found out informally that the markup from manufacturing cost to MSRP was 100%. I carry that thought with me when shopping for cycling attire. I imagine the retail markup is well over 100% for these up-market brands. I just do not like getting greased by any brand.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-22-20, 06:30 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Wear what fits you and makes you comfortable. Some people find that a lower priced garment fits their needs perfectly, others find that what works for them cost a bit more. No one is thinking about the deal they got when they 40 miles out and their bibs start giving them problems.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 07-22-20, 06:45 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I see the Rapha divisiveness on the interwebs, but NEVER in person.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 07-22-20, 07:05 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I see the Rapha divisiveness on the interwebs, but NEVER in person.
That's like all of these internet holy wars. You'd think Canon and Nikon photographers would be spitting on each other, but then in person everyone gets along. People used to rip Cervelo online, but never in person. All of these...
Old 07-22-20, 07:30 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
I think most of their stuff looks pretty cool. They're definitely projecting a certain image and yeah that invites differing reactions from different folks.
The worst I've heard said about Rapha is that some of their stuff is not as durable a you might want or expect for the price.
And that's the deal with a lot of stuff that takes a fashion-oriented point of view . . . how much of the price is about fashion and how much about the function?
I don't think their stuff is widely considered to be junk, but because of their pricing it invites the argument that you can get equal quality for less.

I don't have any Rapha stuff, I don't need it -- I got a bad Assos habit and how much premium-priced stuff does a dude need?
Old 07-22-20, 08:23 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
because it’s the metrosexual brand of cycling

if you wear 3/4 pants and comb your mustache, you were born to be the rapha clientčle
Old 07-22-20, 08:39 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max

if you wear 3/4 pants and comb your mustache, you were born to be the rapha clientčle
Yea ok...
Old 07-22-20, 08:40 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have not used Rapha (above my pay grade). However, I'd like to suggest Twin Six Cyclery out of Minneapolis. Their apparel is made in the USA The quality is excellent!

https://www.twinsix.com/
Likes For yashinon:
Old 07-22-20, 09:33 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
People used to rip Cervelo online, but never in person.
People used to rip on Cervelo, but now they are a fairly common brand

CSC was using them in 2005, and in 2009ish the Cervelo Test Team formed. They went from a brand that was popular with triathletes/dentists, to a legit UCI world team.

It took some time for the stigma to fade, but now it's pretty much just an obsolete stereotype.
Old 07-22-20, 10:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Under what circumstances would I care what some other cyclist is wearing, or what they paid for it? As long as they didn't take my money out of my pocket to buy their gear, I quite literally could not care less.

I have no opinions about Rapha one was or the other. I don't own any, because I'm cheap, and they sell bibs that cost more than my shoes (and I wear expensive shoes.) I'm a Black Bibs and jerseys-on-clearance-who-cares-what-brand kinda guy.

I do own a Cervelo though. Not a dentist.
Old 07-22-20, 11:55 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Senson
For me it's all about fit and service. I've tried couple of Rapha Jersey and bibs but always ended up returning them. My girlfriend likes how they fit so she wears Rapha.
One thing though, we never buy Rapha locally because we've always had bad experience with sales people in NYC store. Over there unless you roll in with super bike with Rapha all over you, they don't talk to you if you ask questions you get an answer with less then two words. They looked too busy talking to people with fancy suite or Rapha kit with $10000 bike. Hope they changed it by now. Same goes to many local bike shop in NYC. Not all of them but some.
I visited the NYC clubhouse last year as a tourist. Pulled up on a Citibike. Wearing gym shorts, flip flops, and sweaty cotton T. Even parked the Citibike inside the clubhouse next to the $$$$ bikes as the meter was running and I was only going to be a minute and didn’t want someone else picking up the bike and having to walk 3 blocks for another one in the heat.

I picked up a pair of socks (cheapest thing you can get there) and waited for 2 guys decked in Rapha at the counter chatting it up with the salesman. Salesman looks at me, hurriedly says farewells to the 2 lads, and says “sorry for the wait, how can I help you?” Then asks me my shoe size to ensure I bought the right size socks. Then rings me up and tells me to have a good day.

Overall great experience.

Last edited by yamsyamsyams; 07-23-20 at 12:01 AM.
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 07-23-20, 12:02 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Where I'm located, when I see folks wearing Rapha, there's a 90% chance that they came from San Francisco.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-23-20, 01:04 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
I think you are a bit too easily affected by marketing....
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-23-20, 01:11 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
I visited the NYC clubhouse last year as a tourist. Pulled up on a Citibike. Wearing gym shorts, flip flops, and sweaty cotton T. Even parked the Citibike inside the clubhouse next to the $$$$ bikes as the meter was running and I was only going to be a minute and didn’t want someone else picking up the bike and having to walk 3 blocks for another one in the heat.

I picked up a pair of socks (cheapest thing you can get there) and waited for 2 guys decked in Rapha at the counter chatting it up with the salesman. Salesman looks at me, hurriedly says farewells to the 2 lads, and says “sorry for the wait, how can I help you?” Then asks me my shoe size to ensure I bought the right size socks. Then rings me up and tells me to have a good day.

Overall great experience.
I also collect watches and there is a lot of hand-wringing about how people are treated at various dealers. Sometimes, how you dress does play a role - but some of it is also how you interpret the interaction. When I go into a shop, the only thing i care about is whether the salesperson answers my questions - his opinion of me is entirely irrelevant (and of course, the transaction part of it). I ask my questions, they usually answer. As long as i get the info i need, the rest doesnt matter - and that pretty much always happens.
Old 07-23-20, 01:16 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
Why care what someone else wears while you ride past them in your entry level bike in a non-matching shorts/jersey combo while they are on their multiple thousand bike with perfect matching kit. Probably says more about you if you do care, than about the brand.
Old 07-23-20, 04:44 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I think cost and a lack of a cycling history.
kinda like Tesla. new big dog becomes the villain to some, hero to others.
I love their stuff, the image and yes the nyc store is just cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.