Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roundabouts

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roundabouts

Old 07-21-20, 07:04 PM
Seanaus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I ride through heaps of roundabouts. Here in Australia we've got a lot. They're popular.

I take the lane and act like a motor vehicle.
As a fellow Australian, I concur, the only way to go.
Old 07-21-20, 10:58 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I used to ride a bunch of them in my commute into Boston many years ago. Boston traffic, so no, I never had to deal with a car stopping for me. Boston drivers don't do that. (Or at least didn't then.) The three o n my commute were at the bottoms of small hills in both directions so I could see everybody, pick my spot and enter going fast. I'd "park" myself on the bumper of a car knowing this was the one place n a Massachusetts roundabout that there wold be no other cars. I trusted that being on a fix gear, my reflexes would give me a few spare feet as soon as I saw that brake light come on. Yes, I was in my 20s, a bike racer and that was a little crazy but it worked very well. No close calls.

Ben
as a Euro, roundabouts are second nature to me. Here in the US, it gets a little trickier, because disturbing numbers of people appear to have no idea how they work. Here in Chapel Hill, your average driving test doesn’t even go through a roundabout, yet they’re becoming a common feature. Here’s a bit of Boston for you Ben: There’s a big roundabout (like, big enough that you could forget that you’re on a roundabout, but roundabout rules apply) immediately south of Jamaica Pond in Jamaica Plain. AFAIK, its the single most “fender-bendered” location in the entire state of MA (and that’s saying something!), to the point that they considered removing it. I used to use it regularly in a car, and it was always a bit of a free-for-all, and I saw my share of fender-benders on it - I never had to cycle through it (thank god). I used to commute on a fixie from Brighton to the South End. I must’ve been mental.....😟

Last edited by Litespud; 07-21-20 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 04:40 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I go out of my way in routing through roundabouts
Cars can take the fun out of it, unless I'm driving one

The way I see it, folks rarely stop for stop signs anymore, so roundabouts seem safer, and more fun