Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why bib shorts rather than just shorts?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-24-20, 02:08 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts

Why do people ride bib sorts?

I have only shorts, never have any problem with them, can't imagine having those weird straps over my shoulder under my jersey, not to mention bib shorts seem to be ridiculously more expensive compared to shorts given that all they add is a little bit of fabric that isn't even the most important part of the garment.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 07-24-20, 02:13 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Much more comfortable, no waist band digging in for hours on end. There may be a case of better fit as well, the straps keep shorts in place but primarily it's a comfort thing.
Likes For SurferCyclist:
Old 07-24-20, 02:16 AM
ZHVelo

Really? The straps would make me uncomfortable as hell, but ok I can see what you mean about pressure from the waistband.
Old 07-24-20, 02:34 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Well all you can do is try a pair, might feel strange rather than uncomfortable at first with the straps but soon forget about them and believe me MUCH more comfortable over a period of time.

However, apparently some people have different preferences(who'd have thought) so you may prefer just shorts.
Likes For SurferCyclist:
Old 07-24-20, 03:18 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo

I have only shorts, never have any problem with them, can't imagine having those weird straps over my shoulder under my jersey, not to mention bib shorts seem to be ridiculously more expensive compared to shorts given that all they add is a little bit of fabric that isn't even the most important part of the garment.
They keep my boys snug, no how much i may squirm, move or sweat on the bike.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-24-20, 04:42 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
On long rides, the bibs are better. Shorts are very dependent on fit and that means the padding positioning will change on you. More a vertical movement than horizontal. I think that's why the shorts people who don't seem to care about the padding, can go shorts without any problems.

On the Grand Tours, you won't find one rider who will go shorts. It will be bibs. Even then, their bibs are custom made when it comes to the padding. It's not about bowing to the manufacturer who is sponsoring the team, its about taking every advantage and fit benefit as possible. Most, if not all, paddings are designed and made in Italy, but you will find copies in the Far East.
Old 07-24-20, 05:53 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts

some people complain of the waistband rolling down and being uncomfortable.

depends on physionomy and If you have a beer belly or not
Old 07-24-20, 06:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
The straps would make me uncomfortable as hell...
You can’t really say that until you’ve tried them. I used to think the same thing until I tried. I’ll never go back to NOT BIBS again.

I compare it to riding with a CamelBak. When I first started touring I couldn’t imagine using one. Thought it would be very uncomfortable, especially in hot weather. Then I toured in Andalucia, where it was sometimes difficult to get water for long, hilly stretches. Got to a big city and bought one. Found that it was uncomfortable at all. Now, I never tour without one.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-24-20, 06:11 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I was an anti bib guy for a long time...then tried a pair. Now I won't ride without them as opposed to regular shorts. They are very comfortable and keep it all in place. The fit is just much better IMO.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 07-24-20, 06:18 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Really? The straps would make me uncomfortable as hell, but ok I can see what you mean about pressure from the waistband.
Have you tried them? I don't notice the straps. The waistband bothers me though. Maybe not in short rides, but it's extremely uncomfortable on long rides. I wouldn't want to ride for 10 hours with shorts.
Old 07-24-20, 06:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
You should try bibs, then decide for yourself. I resisted them for years but was converted with my first pair. With waist shorts I would have to make adjustments at each stop. With bibs, no adjustments needed for the entire ride. Just keep the straps under your jersey....
Old 07-24-20, 07:17 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
All things being equal in the quality department, I concur. A good pair of bibs are superior in every way except cost.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-24-20, 07:23 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11862 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,390 Posts

Totally agree, I have a long torso as opposed to long legs so the straps annoy the crap out of me. Also I'm not overweight. But then I tend to be a maverick anyway.
Old 07-24-20, 07:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Because they've actually tried them and, more often than not, they're more comfortable. Maybe you're a shorts guy, but the odds aren't good. Only one way for you to find out, though.
Old 07-24-20, 07:29 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11862 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,390 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You can’t really say that until you’ve tried them. I used to think the same thing until I tried. I’ll never go back to NOT BIBS again.
I've tried them. Not happening for me. Even though I hear there are some modern versions now that offer longer straps I still struggle to find a reason to change, suffering no discomfort in shorts. So there's one thing my daddy taught me many moons ago . . . if it ain't broke leave it the f alone.
Old 07-24-20, 07:41 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferCyclist
Much more comfortable, no waist band digging in for hours on end. There may be a case of better fit as well, the straps keep shorts in place but primarily it's a comfort thing.
Exactly this. and the straps have come a Long way even in the last 5 years. Sometimes I forget I'm wearing bibs. Assos are my current favorites, but higher models of LeCol, Gore, and Craft are also great. I used to like the Pearl Izumi Pros but they changed their short material which is fine for shorter rides, but don't handle the sweat of longer rides as well as the others.
Old 07-24-20, 08:06 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
For men, bibs keep everything in place better.
Old 07-24-20, 08:25 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
My recommendation for the OP is to give them a try.
Old 07-24-20, 08:38 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
The only answer here is to ride a Brooks saddle and forget about chamois. No bibs, no bike shorts.

<runs away and doesn’t look back>
Likes For walnutz:
Old 07-24-20, 09:55 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
The only way to know is to give them a try. Maybe the OP has a friend of similar size he could borrow a pair from and take a ride. Myself, I am a shorts guy. Tried bibs and run into sizing issues. Maybe if they had some with adjustable straps. In general, I have sizing issues with cycling clothing anyway. Other than to try them, here's the best advice I can give if you are getting off the shelf and not custom made.

Think of the 2 most famous cyclists named Chris. Chris Froome and Chris Hoy. Both are 6'1" but have builds on the opposite end of the spectrum.

If you are built like Froome, you might like the fit of bibs better. If you built closer to Hoy, you might prefer shorts. That's my experience, anyway.
Old 07-24-20, 11:14 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by indyfabz

I compare it to riding with a CamelBak. When I first started touring I couldn’t imagine using one. Thought it would be very uncomfortable, especially in hot weather. Then I toured in Andalucia, where it was sometimes difficult to get water for long, hilly stretches. Got to a big city and bought one. Found that it was uncomfortable at all. Now, I never tour without one.
yes, this thread has convinced me to get bib shorts the next time I need new shorts. Trying can't hurt.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 07-24-20, 11:26 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
yes, this thread has convinced me to get bib shorts the next time I need new shorts. Trying can't hurt.
And here I was going to ask if this was a divisive topic.

Count me in the pro-bibs camp.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-24-20, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
I was in a rush and neglected to write that I was skeptical myself. Thought they would be uncomfortable and hot. Eventually bought a pair with my REI dividend. Now they are all I wear. Should have learned a lesson from my CamelBak experience and tried the earlier.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-24-20, 11:55 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
If you don't have a gut, you can get the comfort and "support" of bibs with far more convenience (and a few dollars saved) with clip-on suspenders. Bonus - the bathroom trips are far easier - huge plus if you are at a multi-day event. I've never had a gut. I hear the waist band on shorts is so onerous. I find suspenders quickly stretch them a little and I do not notice them at all. Rode 65 miles yesterday and thought about the shorts once. "Comfortable!"

Second bonus - when the straps stretch out (they will, suspenders or bibs), adjusting the suspenders a touch tighter is child's play. The boys stay happy.
Old 07-24-20, 12:36 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I think most Pros don't race in bibs anymore, though they do still train with them
But for the ultimate in comfort, speed, expense, Speedsuits are the Pro way these days

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.