Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-29-20, 11:44 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,299 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
In the big ring the outer part of the derailleur is too close to the chain? If the cable isn't tight enough it won't matter how much you loosen the screw. The screw is to limit the movement of the derailleur, the shifter is supposed to put it in the right place. If the shifter cable is frayed the first thing you usually notice is the cable seems loose.
There's not slack in the cable.

The cage has always close to the chain, but today when I lubed the chain and then spun it in reverse it there was a noise like it was actually rubbing. Not sure why it may have moved.
Old 07-29-20, 11:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It’s not difficult if there is a segment on a road you ride frequently.
What if there aren't any segments where you're higher than 5000th out of 10,000, because every cyclist on the bicycle-happy Peninsula also rides there? Do I have to add some obscure back street to my rides?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-29-20, 11:49 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
LPLO for LOP

So here's Groucho Marx offering a grape to Alice Cooper. Alice says "No thanks. Budwieser only."

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 07-29-20 at 11:54 AM.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-29-20, 11:52 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
There's not slack in the cable.

The cage has always close to the chain, but today when I lubed the chain and then spun it in reverse it there was a noise like it was actually rubbing. Not sure why it may have moved.
There may not be any apparent slack, actually there couldn't be any in the big ring. Reach under the downtube and pull on the cable and see if the derailleur moves out to the limit screw.
Is it a clamp on derailleur? Sometimes after rough shifting the clamp will move a bit changing adjustments. Could happen with a braze on but less likely.

If it doesn't rub in the big ring/small cog while riding why worry about it?
Likes For big john:
Old 07-29-20, 12:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I spent 7 hours on Saturday, refitting my Battaglin MAX bike. New cables, new rear derailleur, new cassette, new tires, new handlebar, new bar tape. It took so long because I was trying to make a short cage Centaur derailleur work rather than swap in the medium cage Veloce I'd bought for the job. So after a lot of time spent fruitlessly, I swapped in the Veloce and voila! It works. Now I'm running 53/39 and 12-30.

The frame is so old, it doesn't take a regular cable guide under the BB. No, it's got a plate with two holes in it. And for years, I've been tolerating the sub-optimal shifting from all the added friction it causes. I threaded some shift cable liner through the holes, and fed the cables through that, heavily greased.

New bar, because the Cinelli Nerve I had on it is 1) real old, and 2) a LO--O-ONG way down to the drops, compared with what The Cool Kids are using these days. I used a SOMA Highway One, which is the right shape, and unlike nearly every other bar, it comes in 26.0 and silver. Finished it all off with white Fizik tape. Even got some white gloves just for this bike, so I don't foul the tape as quickly.

I thought about getting 28s, but the 25s I've been running barley fit though the calipers as it is. And the chainstays are pretty close to the tires. SO instead I just replaced the old Ultra Sports with new GP's, pumped to 100/105.

Today was the 'shakedown cruise'. The new bar fits well, in fact it might need to drop a cm or so - at the same stem height, I feel more upright. Or maybe turn the bar down a hair. Shifting was MUCH better! AND the 30 works well! And I think that the tires made a big difference, even though they're the same size at the same pressure. Felt much less rattly. I'm in love all over again!

Old 07-29-20, 12:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Holy Moley! Train caught fire on the trestle over Tempe Town Lake. Looks like they must be wooden ties on that trestle the way it's burning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPk1fh7-ASY
The bridge timbers are likely wood.

Think this is the bridge:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Te...4d-111.9276565

The relatively new, double track bridge to the right is the light rail line.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-29-20 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-29-20, 12:09 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I spent 7 hours on Saturday, refitting my Battaglin MAX bike. New cables, new rear derailleur, new cassette, new tires, new handlebar, new bar tape. It took so long because I was trying to make a short cage Centaur derailleur work rather than swap in the medium cage Veloce I'd bought for the job. So after a lot of time spent fruitlessly, I swapped in the Veloce and voila! It works. Now I'm running 53/39 and 12-30.

The frame is so old, it doesn't take a regular cable guide under the BB. No, it's got a plate with two holes in it. And for years, I've been tolerating the sub-optimal shifting from all the added friction it causes. I threaded some shift cable liner through the holes, and fed the cables through that, heavily greased.

New bar, because the Cinelli Nerve I had on it is 1) real old, and 2) a LO--O-ONG way down to the drops, compared with what The Cool Kids are using these days. I used a SOMA Highway One, which is the right shape, and unlike nearly every other bar, it comes in 26.0 and silver. Finished it all off with white Fizik tape. Even got some white gloves just for this bike, so I don't foul the tape as quickly.

I thought about getting 28s, but the 25s I've been running barley fit though the calipers as it is. And the chainstays are pretty close to the tires. SO instead I just replaced the old Ultra Sports with new GP's, pumped to 100/105.

Today was the 'shakedown cruise'. The new bar fits well, in fact it might need to drop a cm or so - at the same stem height, I feel more upright. Or maybe turn the bar down a hair. Shifting was MUCH better! AND the 30 works well! And I think that the tires made a big difference, even though they're the same size at the same pressure. Felt much less rattly. I'm in love all over again!

That's a nice bicycle cycle. Yep, the bars look off, but still, nicely done.
Old 07-29-20, 12:12 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,557 Times in 1,227 Posts

Seems like the Highway One is the go-to bar for old steel with brifters, it's on my short list since I need a 26.0 bar as well. How easy is it getting it through the quill stem?
Old 07-29-20, 12:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Happy Birthday Geddy Lee!

Old 07-29-20, 12:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by abshipp

Seems like the Highway One is the go-to bar for old steel with brifters, it's on my short list since I need a 26.0 bar as well. How easy is it getting it through the quill stem?
It went great, till I got to the bend. For a while, I was afraid I was just plain stuck. I think these are more square, that is the tops are longer and straighter before the bend, so it's more acute. If I had my druthers, I'd have used the 3T Motus, if the clamp part hadn't cracked.

Old 07-29-20, 12:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Seriously. I rode 30 miles this AM and n ow going out to mow the lawn... it's all one contiguous lawn, not two lawns. May ride again with my wife later but only if she begs.
Damn, I wish I had that kind of energy.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 07-29-20, 12:22 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Holy Moley! Train caught fire on the trestle over Tempe Town Lake. Looks like they must be wooden ties on that trestle the way it's burning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPk1fh7-ASY
Holy crap! That's going to be a mess.

I once sailed under a truck fire on the Bay Bridge (186' vertical clearance) with a sparse but steady fall of smoking debris. By the time we realized stuff was falling we were committed to our line.
Old 07-29-20, 12:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LAJ
That's a nice bicycle cycle. Yep, the bars look off, but still, nicely done.
Yeah, I think I'll rotate the bar down till the ends are level and see how that feels. Then see if I still want to drop the stem. The Nerve has a reach of 90mm and a drop of 150, versus 75 and 130 for the Hwy 1. So I've got room to play with. The Nerve was always comfy on the hoods, but the drops were a long way off.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-29-20, 12:25 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I want to be a local legend.
You already are.
Old 07-29-20, 12:26 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

It went great, till I got to the bend. For a while, I was afraid I was just plain stuck. I think these are more square, that is the tops are longer and straighter before the bend, so it's more acute. If I had my druthers, I'd have used the 3T Motus, if the clamp part hadn't cracked.
Noted, thanks

Is the stem clamp pretty much rectangular? The one I'll be using is an old Grand Compe that's quite triangular in front profile so there's a decent amount of relief that helps move things around, but it's rarely easy with any stem.
Old 07-29-20, 12:28 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by indyfabz
You are one here.
See, confirmed, although I’m waiting for the DougRNS endorsement. lol
Old 07-29-20, 12:35 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Noted, thanks

Is the stem clamp pretty much rectangular? The one I'll be using is an old Grand Compe that's quite triangular in front profile so there's a decent amount of relief that helps move things around, but it's rarely easy with any stem.
Removable faceplate stems only for me from here on out. (well no, I still have a couple of Cinelli stems).

Factory 5 put these on sale for $60 once and I grabbed one for the Lemond. Then I found some knockoffs on eBay for $50-ish (I have one on the Basso). Only available in 90mm unfortunately.

https://wearefactoryfive.com/products/titan-stem
Old 07-29-20, 12:42 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

The bars probably have shorter reach than the olde ones, which will definitely put you more upright. I'm surprised that the Highway One isn't in the What Bars? database. Unfortunately the Cinelli isn't in there either, but that's not as much of a surprise.

https://whatbars.com
Old 07-29-20, 12:51 PM
abshipp 

Removable faceplate stems only for me from here on out. (well no, I still have a couple of Cinelli stems).

Factory 5 put these on sale for $60 once and I grabbed one for the Lemond. Then I found some knockoffs on eBay for $50-ish (I have one on the Basso). Only available in 90mm unfortunately.

https://wearefactoryfive.com/products/titan-stem
I need an .833" quill for the SLT, unfortunately. I'm a little apprehensive about the Highway One due to it's fairly short reach and I'm feeling pretty stuck with a 90mm stem since you just don't see many longer ones in the smaller quill diameter, but the 5800 shifters that would be going on should compensate a bit, coming from 8 speed Ergo levers.

The bars probably have shorter reach than the olde ones, which will definitely put you more upright. I'm surprised that the Highway One isn't in the What Bars? database. Unfortunately the Cinelli isn't in there either, but that's not as much of a surprise.

I'm always surprised at the total lack of Nitto drop bars on that website I guess they've got the Noodle, but that's it.
Old 07-29-20, 01:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Noted, thanks

Yeah, largely. There's a triangular bit at the bottom, but unfortunately when I tried to line that up with the inside of the bend, the quill end of the stem ran into the bottom of the drops. I did manage to do it without resorting to the rubber mallet - which would have been totally a desperation move that I'd never do!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-29-20, 01:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Any you old crumbs ever put stick-on + lenses on your cycling glasses? Wondering if they survive sweat and daily cleaning.
Old 07-29-20, 01:14 PM
abshipp 

unfortunately when I tried to line that up with the inside of the bend, the quill end of the stem ran into the bottom of the drops.
God I hate that so much
Old 07-29-20, 01:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yes, 75mm vs 90mm. As I look at them from a distance, I think they're at the right place on the bar, but the bar should be level at the bottom instead of pointed at the rear brake. Basically I set them up the way I set up the Nerve, which didn't compensate for the shorter reach. The brakes were SLIGHTLY harder to get to than I'd like, but rotating should take care of that. I'll see how far I can drop the stem and stay comfy.

OH, and I routed the shift cables across the top of the brifters and then along the front, instead of around back as I'd done with the dual-grooved Nerves, and even though it was a real pain to get the cables run properly - and wrapped with electrical tape from the brifters nearly to the end of the tape area, it was worth it The tops are much more comfy now. Cables in back is dumb.

EDIT: When I say, "As I look at them from a distance", I mean it. This is the first chance I had to look at them from more than about 8 feet since I put it all together!

Old 07-29-20, 01:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

All this bar talk got me motivated to finally put these flared drops on the Lemond. Bar tape tonight, and possibly a short test ride. Still gonna be 105° at 10pm, so no serious test ride 'til tomorrow morning.

Old 07-29-20, 01:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

God I hate that so much
Yeah: (clonk) "****!!", (clonk) "**** ****!!!", (clonk) "M*****f*****!!!!"

Likes For genejockey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.