Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New chain, oil or not needed

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-28-20, 04:15 AM
solman

Bikes: Trek 720 Hybrid, Trek FXS-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hello,
I put a new chain on my friends bike as he had neglected the bike in storage for many years. Frozen links and rust which I could not free up.
My question is do you need to lube the new chain or is the way it shipped good to go.
New chain is a KMC 8 speed chain and my friend is just getting back to riding.
Thanks
Old 07-28-20, 04:20 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Believe it or not that is a philosophical question. People like Sheldon Brown think the lube chain manufactures put on new chains is the best you can get, others chemically clean the chain and replace it with their own proprietary mix of lubricants, others like me just go ahead and lube the new chain when putting it on.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-28-20, 04:30 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Brand new chains are good to go for several hundred kilometres/miles before you need to worry about them. Lubricating a new chain will just make it more likely to pick up extra dirt and grit which isn't what you want.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 07-28-20, 04:47 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Wipe the outside of excess grease and ride the original lube.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 07-28-20, 05:41 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
To lube or not to lube.

That is the question.
Old 07-28-20, 05:48 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I just install the chain and let the factory lube work it's magic. As DorkDisk recommends, wipe the excess off the exterior.
Old 07-28-20, 06:08 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I usually just put it on and ride until it starts making a noise, then lube.
Old 07-28-20, 11:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I just install the chain and let the factory lube work it's magic. As DorkDisk recommends, wipe the excess off the exterior.
One caveat. If your lube of choice is going to be a wax based (eg. Pedro's Slick, Smoove, etc), it's generally considered much better to strip a chain of any oil based lubes before using. So, if you ride a new chain as it's been greased at the factory, you'll eventually have to take it back off and do the work anyway to strip/clean it, and then reinstall.
Old 07-28-20, 12:17 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
The stock lube on the SRAM chain I recently purchased seemed really heavy and sticky. After a few rides I ran it through my normal chain cleaner and it was still really gross. I took it off and soaked in degreaser, scrubbed it clean and put new lube on it.

It didn't make any difference in how it rode, but it has been much easier to keep clean since doing this.
Old 07-28-20, 01:07 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I’ve pretty much moved away from using wet lubes, so I strip off the factory lube.

John
Old 07-28-20, 06:51 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
The SRAM 11_SPD chain I just put on had a very tacky lube, like pancake syrup. I whiped it down externally as best as possible with WD-40 to get it off than re-lubed.

Many new chains have a heavy preservative lube to prevent rust but it's not great for riding with as dirt and grime stick to it like glue.
Old 07-28-20, 08:15 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I've been using KMC chains for several years now and, I've noticed the thick wax coating causes sluggish shifting & attracts dirt. So, I add lubricant to loosen things up. My favorite go to chain lube is red Type F automatic transmission fluid. I put it into a small 2 oz. plastic Nalgene drop dispenser bottle and place a small amount on each link. Exercise the shifters & drivetrain. Wipe off the excess. Quietest drivetrain & smoothest shifting ever. That's it. That's all. Done deal. Be good. Have fun.
Old 07-28-20, 09:57 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Agree SRAM chains can be kind of gummy. KMC maybe not quite as bad. But as a waxer, I strip them before use. I wouldn't bother lubing a new chain.

scott s.
Old 07-29-20, 07:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
The last few chains I've installed have had various amounts of lube. Some didn't need to be wiped, some needed to be run through a rag dampened with mineral spirits to remove the excess.
Old 07-29-20, 10:30 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
The SRAM 11_SPD chain I just put on had a very tacky lube, like pancake syrup. I whiped it down externally as best as possible with WD-40 to get it off than re-lubed.

Many new chains have a heavy preservative lube to prevent rust but it's not great for riding with as dirt and grime stick to it like glue.

Sounds like the stuff they coat new brake rotors with (for your car) to prevent them from rusting in the box. Sticky and oily. Cleans right up though with brake parts cleaner....
Old 07-29-20, 02:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
KMC recommends running their chains as-is, rather than stripping and replacing the original lube. I do that for the first few months on my hybrid/errand bike chains, but when the chain needs lube I use Park CL-1.

Park CL-1 is a medium weight oil with PTFE. It's really tenacious stuff, doesn't wash out in rain and even resists heavy cleaning with soap and hot water, and "green" spray degreasers. PTFE leaves a distinctive slippery but non-greasy film.

With this technique I may clean and lube the chain once or twice a year at most. It runs quietly and shifts well. I may change chains every couple of years.

When I relube with CL-1 I don't drizzle it all over the entire chain. I apply a single drop every few inches along the chain, maybe half a dozen droplets. Then ride. It gradually distributes itself while riding. Then wipe off the excess after around 20-50 miles.

Park CL-1 isn't one of the sexy lubes often recommended on various chain lube friction tests. In those tests it usually ranks close to dead last for some reason. But I've found it satisfactory and low maintenance for 5 years on my hybrids.

My road bikes are a whole nuther story. I've fussed and fretted with melted wax, "wet" wax, stuff like Rock 'n' Roll Gold and Absolute Dry with PTFE, etc. It's a constant battle chasing a tiny advantage. Not sure it's worth the effort.
Old 07-29-20, 02:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Jon Cannings on GCN says its the best lube on the market for a wet lube. However it will attract more dirt than standard lubes.
Old 07-29-20, 02:50 PM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I typically ride for a few hundred miles with the new chain as-is.

But I tend to prefer a lighter dry lube in general so after that I do a thorough de-grease and re-lube.

The stuff that comes on it from factory is pretty thick and durable (and a pain to get completely cleaned off). Can probably get away with riding it for quite some time.
Old 07-29-20, 04:19 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
To lube or not to lube.

That is the question.
lube always is smoother