Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So how easy or difficult is to repair a roadbike tire with those Co2 thingies?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So how easy or difficult is to repair a roadbike tire with those Co2 thingies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20, 01:54 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I've never used CO2, just a mini pump and patch kit. It takes time to fill the tire, but I'm not usually in that much of a hurry, and the upper body workout is welcome.
Old 08-02-20, 01:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by mightymax
I have always had a frame pump but considered getting a Co2 inflator. I just never knew how many cartridges it takes to fill a tube. Some on this thread have had bad experience and stay with a frame pump. I am old school and always stay with the tried and true but last time I had a flat, the Arthritis in my hands made it somewhat uncomfortable to use the pump. So I think maybe I should try the C02 but still keep a frame pump as a last resort backup just in case.
I've always carried a frame pump, but the latest flat convinced me that the arthritis in my hands and shoulders makes that inadequate. I got up to about 60psi when the hands and shoulders told me "that's it; we're done." So now I carry a CO2 inflator and two 16g cartridges. I still carry the frame pump as well. I figure I can start inflating with the pump, then top it off with CO2 when my arms complain. Haven't (yet) had an opportunity to try the inflator*, so I can't say how many cartridges I'd use to fill the tube.

*probably just jinxed myself there.
Old 08-02-20, 02:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
ISo now I carry a CO2 inflator and two 16g cartridges. I still carry the frame pump as well.
Belt and suspenders?

Why bother with the pump when a 16g CO2 will fill a 28mm road tire. Now if you have a MTB, then use a larger cartridge.
Old 08-02-20, 02:33 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Belt and suspenders?
I've carried a frame pump (Silca Impero with Campagnolo head) for so long, I feel naked riding without it.

Why bother with the pump when a 16g CO2 will fill a 28mm road tire. Now if you have a MTB, then use a larger cartridge.
Like I said, I've yet to even try the CO2, so I don't know how full it will get my tires, or if fumble-fingers will vent too much of the CO2 getting it to work.
Old 08-02-20, 05:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I've carried a frame pump (Silca Impero with Campagnolo head) for so long, I feel naked riding without it.

Like I said, I've yet to even try the CO2, so I don't know how full it will get my tires, or if fumble-fingers will vent too much of the CO2 getting it to work.
Your subtitle says it all
Old 08-02-20, 06:14 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,349 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by y2zipper
IMO using a frame pump is miserable.
Your life must be really great if using a pump once in a while is "miserable".

It's funny that people exercising are complaining about exercise.

It's more "miserable" to have people fail with C02 and have to use the pump you are carrying.

(Use C02 but be wary about relying on it.)
Old 08-02-20, 06:45 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
The problem is that if you do not attach the adapter properly, you can lose much, most, or all of the CO2 before you get any into the tube. And even if you do get the CO2 inside with no mistakes, it tends to fill up the tire to only about two-thirds the pressure I usually ride with. A good compact pump (like a Road Morph) works far better.
Old 08-02-20, 07:14 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I carry a frame pump (Silca Impero with steel Campagnolo head) or a compact mini-pump even if I do carry my Co2 inflator. That way I can help another bicyclist if they need it. I've met many a bicyclist walking along a rail-trail because they've flatted and didn't have a patch kit or pump. It's a nice feeling knowing that I've saved them a long walk on a hot and humid day.

Cheers
Old 08-02-20, 07:15 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Belt and suspenders?

You might be able to help another bicyclist who has either exhausted their C02 cartridges or hasn't a pump or Co2 inflator.

Cheers
Old 08-02-20, 07:25 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Miele Man
You might be able to help another bicyclist who has either exhausted their C02 cartridges or hasn't a pump or Co2 inflator.

Cheers
I carry 2 cartridges. Beyond that, if they are not prepared i'm not their SAG wagon.
Old 08-02-20, 07:37 PM
Miele Man

I carry 2 cartridges. Beyond that, if they are not prepared i'm not their SAG wagon.
Nice of you. LOL

I've met and helped many an inexperience bicyclist who was just getting into the sport and hadn't been told to carry even a basic repair kit. Over the years I've made friends with a lot of them and I've directed many of them to a decent bicycle shop where I know they wouldn't be ripped off or sold a lot of stuff they didn't need.

I like helping people out of a jam especially whn it's hot and humid and they're many miles from home or their vehicle. YMMV and sounds like it does.

Cheers
Old 08-02-20, 07:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Nice of you. LOL

I've met and helped many an inexperience bicyclist who was just getting into the sport and hadn't been told to carry even a basic repair kit. Over the years I've made friends with a lot of them and I've directed many of them to a decent bicycle shop where I know they wouldn't be ripped off or sold a lot of stuff they didn't need.

I like helping people out of a jam especially whn it's hot and humid and they're many miles from home or their vehicle. YMMV and sounds like it does.

Cheers
I've changed dozens of tubes for others, but it you don't carry your own supplies then I hope you have a cell phone. I've given away my spare tube, CO2, gels and spare water. But i'm not going to carry anything that i'm not going to need just incase someone else needs it.

Last edited by GlennR; 08-02-20 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 09:42 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have never, ever, not ever even once-- had a failure with a CO2 cartridge, dating back to using them in paintball guns in the '80s. I wish I could say I cannot grasp how a person could possibly fail in the use of a CO2 inflator, but I realize all too well that a great number of people are born with no mechanical aptitude whatsoever, and remain that way their entire lives.
Old 08-03-20, 11:51 AM
RC71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
CO2 is a great timesaver

CO2 is a great timesaver. You'll need a foam sleeve around the cartridge or you'll freeze your fingers. I run 28F/32R tires at a lower pressure so I don't just blow the cartridge in all at once. I'm a boy scout by nature so it's 2x CO2 plus a Topeak mini pump with pressure gauge, a spare tube, a patch kit, and a sidewall repair kit. As a ride leader I've had multiple times where it took 2 tubes or more tubes to get someone going again.

And then there are times when walking that last mile makes more sense than a questionable trailside repair. The location reference below accounts for about 11 miles between the impact and the resultant blowout.

Old 08-03-20, 12:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Tire boot might of helped.

https://www.parktool.com/product/eme...tire-boot-tb-2
Old 08-03-20, 12:16 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by rbloem
I have yet to use a Co2 canister thing. Do you guys bring a bicycle pump along incase you mess up?? What's a good practice or technique for repairing a flat on a road bike? Thanks
They are very easy to use. Just be sure that you don't overfill the tire and blow it off of the rim. If you have carbon wheels, overinflating them can cause them to become delaminate. This normally happens if you use the 16 ounce cartridges on road tires instead of the recommended 12 ounce. The larger size is designed for MTB tires.
Old 08-03-20, 01:21 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
So easy that i haven’t carried a pump (in my road kit) for at least 5 years. yes, learn like any important tool, know how the thingy functions before you are sidelined hours from your destination.
Old 08-03-20, 01:51 PM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Pumps

I use the Ryobi pump before I ride that thing is phenomenal for $50 and I already had bunches of their batteries from other tools

I throw the mini frump in the back of my jersey with a small dyna plug tube kit and go. I’ve never had to use it on my bike since I went tubeless but I have used it for others and to me it is just so much more convenient and quicker then co2. I can add just a little to make sure the tire is going to seat and before I put the tire on if I need to. I also think it can get the tire to a higher pressure and you have way more control getting it to what pressure you want.

I would agree with others co2 is not that hard if you have one with adjustable pressure but I bet the success rate I have seen on inflating with co2 is 60%. I am usually the one changing tires in our group and before this pump I would hand them the tire when it’s ready unless it’s a co2 pump I’ve used before. I had one blow up in my hand bc it wasn’t threaded right that someone handed me and that actually hurt more then you would think and scared the crap out of me.

If I use the pump ill just charge it that night, so far money well spent but everyone is different in budget and what they perceive as value I guess. For the stupid irrational amount of money I spent on my bike, $150 for a pump is the least of my worries
Old 08-03-20, 01:53 PM
strangdang

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
disposable tech

Co2 cartridges are a disposable techmology that is bad for the environment. You end up with a non-reusable piece of trash and dispersing carbon dioxide into the environment. And you paid money to do it. As an emergency device, when you’re about to freeze, about to burn up, or the gun shots are getting closer, maybe that time savings is worth it. Otherwise once you’ve got a good pump the air is free and you’re also more likely to spot tire cuts or poorly seated beads, and correct anty problems in time, without waste.
Old 08-03-20, 01:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
They are very easy to use. Just be sure that you don't overfill the tire and blow it off of the rim. If you have carbon wheels, overinflating them can cause them to become delaminate. This normally happens if you use the 16 ounce cartridges on road tires instead of the recommended 12 ounce. The larger size is designed for MTB tires.
What size road 23mm, 25mm, 28mm or 30mm?
I usually carry 12oz, but have used a 16oz and never had any problem. And if a 16oz damages your carbon wheel, then it was already compromised and you didn't know it.
Old 08-03-20, 02:11 PM
AndrewRc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Always on my bike: mini pump, two spare tubes, a stick-on patch kit and a couple of cut up pieces of tire in case my tire gets ripped.

Over-kill? Yeah, but I’ve had three flats on the same ride. I’ve also had to use a dollar bill to hold the tube in the tire.

I used to use CO2, but it was always hit or miss if I did it right. I should look into it again. The mini pump will get my tire to about 85 to 90 lbs, but it’s not quick or fun
Old 08-03-20, 02:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I see a number of cyclists on the MUPs with bags like this. I always thought they had their lunch and extra water in that. But after reading this topic it seem they must be filled with spare parts and tools.

Now i ride on Long Island so there really isn't anywhere that Uber doesn't service so I only carry what I need to fix a flat or two and minor mechanical repairs, and my bag is a bit smaller.

Old 08-03-20, 03:35 PM
grumpyoldguy

Bikes: Scott, Kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have yet to use a Co2 canister thing. Do you guys bring a bicycle pump along incase you mess up?? What's a good practice or technique for repairing a flat on a road bike? Thanks
It is not difficult to use a CO2 inflator. It's a good idea to get a couple of spare cartridges and practice with the gadget at home though - you don't want to be figuring it out in the middle of nowhere. If you do use one of the screw-on inflators, be careful that you don't unscrew the valve core when taking it off after filling the tire. The inflator connectors have an O-ring that makes a really tight seal with the valve stem when screwed on. Not all tubes have removable cores, but many (like Continentals) do. I learned this the hard way and now carry a Michelin tube with a non-removable core as my spare. Also, always take two CO2 cartridges. They're not heavy and you may need one to help someone else out.
Old 08-03-20, 09:18 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I always bring a mini-pump. I've used CO2 a lot, and once in a while, screw up. Also, no matter what the cartridges claims, I never get a tire up to 120, or even close.
And once you DO use CO2, I have been told that it's not very long lasting in a tire, it's smaller molcules (or somehting) seep out more quickly than plain old air, so when you get home, refill the tire with your floor pump.
Old 08-03-20, 09:19 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I've always carried a frame pump, but the latest flat convinced me that the arthritis in my hands and shoulders makes that inadequate. I got up to about 60psi when the hands and shoulders told me "that's it; we're done." So now I carry a CO2 inflator and two 16g cartridges. I still carry the frame pump as well. I figure I can start inflating with the pump, then top it off with CO2 when my arms complain. Haven't (yet) had an opportunity to try the inflator*, so I can't say how many cartridges I'd use to fill the tube.

*probably just jinxed myself there.
I use 16 gram cartridges, and usually wind up with only 65 or 70 lbs in the tire...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.