Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy crank and brake restoration

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 08:10 PM
BikeNut23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
Anyone know how to restore some Campy Nuovo Record cranks? I mean refinish them back to factory look. My old cranks have some slight corrosion and the finish is scratched and looks a bit ugly. It looks like the finish is anodize, but maybe not? Is that nice slivery finish paint? I can use something abrasive to clean them up, but that would no longer look original.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-20, 08:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,385 Times in 3,670 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeNut23
Hi,
Anyone know how to restore some Campy Nuovo Record cranks? I mean refinish them back to factory look. My old cranks have some slight corrosion and the finish is scratched and looks a bit ugly. It looks like the finish is anodize, but maybe not? Is that nice slivery finish paint? I can use something abrasive to clean them up, but that would no longer look original.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

We need pics as the processes are different for each of us and the particular condition being addressed.

You're partway there, 5 X 2 days for 10 to post pics, just respond to the posts that come up here to get there.
Old 08-03-20, 08:34 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
They are anodized. You can't refinish them to look like new, at least not at home, practically speaking.
Old 08-03-20, 09:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
You have to remove the anodization, polish/sand them, and then anodize them again. It will be expensive, and they probably won't have that same factory glow. They do make home anodization kits you can use. Or take them to a shop that does that.

But none of us really do that. We deanodize and polish, then finish with a liquid polish like Mother's. It usually looks better than bad road rash but not as beautiful as the original Campy glow.
Old 08-03-20, 10:06 PM
BikeNut23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. And yes, anodize would be expensive and not match the original finish. Campagnolo has a process that results in that nice silver sheen.

However I spent some time fussing in the garage over this and found a way to make the cranks look virtually new! And, Very easy and inexpensive to do. I sanded off the rough corroded areas with 1500 grit sand paper, wet. Cleaned with acetone to remove all grease and oils. Very lightly sprayed with Krylon Chrome paint. The sheen and color is almost an exact match to the original finish. Won't be as durable however it will be very easy to touch up again. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 08-03-20, 10:10 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
We deanodize and polish, then finish with a liquid polish like Mother's. It usually looks better than bad road rash but not as beautiful as the original Campy glow.
I have heard that referred to as the "Mexico" treatment. No idea why. Maybe having to do with Merckx's hour record? Or the Colnago Mexico?

Last edited by scarlson; 08-04-20 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-03-20, 10:32 PM
BikeNut23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A photo of restored crank

Sorry I tried posting some photos. Seems that I have not posted enough on this forum to allow that. Need 10 posts before a photo can be posted.Guess I need to be more active for a while. I'll try to get those photos up in the next week or so.